R32 and R42

Calvin

what i heard is that R32 and R42s are going to be replaced by the R179.

R42s on the (J)(Z) will be OOS in 2011? and replaced by 8 car lengths of R179 (50 total)

R32s on the (C) will be retiring and in the future, it might be using R46s and R179s on the (A).

When will R179s be delivered and what do you think might happen in the future?

That was I all could say Matt Train. The (MTA) wrote that they would come on 2015, but we aren't really sure. There isn't even a contractor for these cars. We don't know if it would be Kawasaki, Bombardier, or Alstom. We don't know their propulsion. Their weight or their height. We don't know if it is going to be a 60 ft or a 75 ft long car. You know what to make it short we know nothing about them.

Guest lance25

Calvin, the R32s and R42s are expected to last until 2015. If and when the R179s arrive, I believe they will go onto the (R) and maybe the (G) and the R46s from those lines will be transferred onto the (A) and (C) lines. Though just idle speculation, based on history, the (A) and (C) will probably be the last lines to receive NTTs. However, like stated above, we don't know what the (MTA) will do, so we'll just have to sit back and wait.

Calvin, the R32s and R42s are expected to last until 2015. If and when the R179s arrive, I believe they will go onto the (R) and maybe the (G) and the R46s from those lines will be transferred onto the (A) and (C) lines. Though just idle speculation, based on history, the (A) and (C) will probably be the last lines to receive NTTs. However, like stated above, we don't know what the (MTA) will do, so we'll just have to sit back and wait.

so how come the (A)(C) are the last ones getting NTTs?

Wikipedia isn't such a valuable source for information in this case. The R-179s, R-188 and whatever cars mentioned in the future, their assignments are not known yet. Let's just wait until more info comes out. I won't speculate any more.

This link doesn't say very much, either. Just that under the proposal 290 cars would be ordered for the B.M.T./IND. and a contract is expected to be awarded in October of this year.

Calvin, with this economy and financial crises, just be glad the R142/R142A, R143, and R160A/R160Bs have done much and that in the future we may have R179, R188, and maybe even R211s.

At least with R46 and R160s, Eighth Avenue (A)(C)(E) isn't entirely ancient and Sixth Avenue (:)(D)(F)(M) has R46, R68/R68A, and R160s so that CPW/Saint Nicholas Avenue sees some R68/R68As as well as some R46s.

If the R32 Brightliners see 2015 as projected, that will be good - fifty-one years of revenue service by a subway car.

I'm glad we have a few more years to enjoy these trains. If it works good, why replace it and waste money.

The (C) is such a unique train right now, unlike any other..

Guest lance25

Just out of curiosity Ms. W, but how is the (C) a unique line? It's just the local version of the (A). The only difference between the (C) and the rest of the system is the (C) uses shorter trains than the rest of the B Division (not including Eastern Division).

Just out of curiosity Ms. W, but how is the (C) a unique line? It's just the local version of the (A). The only difference between the (C) and the rest of the system is the (C) uses shorter trains than the rest of the B Division (not including Eastern Division).

I meant the car style is different..that simple old fashion look with the lines. You won't find a train with that style on another line. I think its a nice looking train.

the A/C has had a history of getting old cars..looking back recently, the R32/R38, then the Slants/42's, and now the 46's from Jamaica..I wouldn't be surprised if they put 68A's on the A someday in the future

I could care less. All those trains are ten times better than this new crap we have rolling around. My opinion, of course.

I'm glad we have a few more years to enjoy these trains. If it works good, why replace it and waste money.

The (C) is such a unique train right now, unlike any other..

IAWTP x1000%.

I meant the car style is different..that simple old fashion look with the lines. You won't find a train with that style on another line. I think its a nice looking train.

Well said Ms. W.

This link doesn't say very much, either. Just that under the proposal 290 cars would be ordered for the B.M.T./IND. and a contract is expected to be awarded in October of this year.

Calvin, with this economy and financial crises, just be glad the R142/R142A, R143, and R160A/R160Bs have done much and that in the future we may have R179, R188, and maybe even R211s.

At least with R46 and R160s, Eighth Avenue (A)(C)(E) isn't entirely ancient and Sixth Avenue (:((D)(F)(M) has R46, R68/R68A, and R160s so that CPW/Saint Nicholas Avenue sees some R68/R68As as well as some R46s.

If the R32 Brightliners see 2015 as projected, that will be good - fifty-one years of revenue service by a subway car.

great info and for 6 Av Line no more R46s on the (F), its all R160s

I could care less. All those trains are ten times better than this new crap we have rolling around. My opinion, of course.

Thanks. I agree with this...the new trains are just too boring for me. They don't seem that study like the older ones...and they are louder, especially with that "EiRRR" sound when they slow down or start off.

great info and for 6 Av Line no more R46s on the (F), its all R160s

Well if you get lucky, you might catch a R46 (F) every once in awhile during a put in. However, you have a better chance of getting a R160 (R) as it always has at least 2 sets running on them.

Thanks. I agree with this...the new trains are just too boring for me. They don't seem that study like the older ones...and they are louder, especially with that "EiRRR" sound when they slow down or start off.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Hell, I love the sound of an R32/R42 with worn out brake shoes. It gives the train character.

what i heard is that R32 and R42s are going to be replaced by the R179.

R42s on the (J)(Z) will be OOS in 2011? and replaced by 8 car lengths of R179 (50 total)

R32s on the (C) will be retiring and in the future, it might be using R46s and R179s on the (A).

When will R179s be delivered and what do you think might happen in the future?

Before the R160 contracts were even awarded, there were so many rumors about where they were suppose to go. There was that mysterious third option order (though that's it's own story), and the R160C (The 75 foot cars that were supposedly suppose to bump off the R44s). And let's not forget that silver front they were suppose to have. The list goes on and on about things the R160 were going to have, or where they were going to go, or blah blah blah. The R179s are no different.

I'm not going to lie, it's fun talking to people, guessing where new cars will go. At the same time, guessing shouldn't be confused with misinformation. If anyone told you they truly know where the R179s will go, they are either sadly mistaken, or just being malicious.

Archived