Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

B35 Bro this has little to do with Roethlisberger. I was making point on super bowl winner in last 25 years or so teams like the '85 Bears the 2000 Ravens and more recent the '05 and '08 Steelers, the defense not the Quaterback is the star(s)of the team.

yeah, but how common is that.. in a superbowl where the defense straight up dominates throughout....

anyway, I was right... the ravens aren't favored to win... 3.5 point underdogs...

(that's what I tried to tell you)....

only reason they have it that close, is b/c whenever these two teams play each other, they're low scoring games....

I'm telling you now, there wouldn't be much, if any "shock" if the steelers beat the ravens.... Whereas, if flacco can go in heinz field & beat roethlisberger & the steelers, I still think that would be an upset...

not on the level of seahawks/saints, but still an upset....

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Auburn on winning the Division I 2010 NCAA College Football Title.

In the best college gridiron title game since the classic USC/TEXAS match up a few years back, the Tigers beat the Univ of Oregon Duck on a last second field goal.

With that said, I won't be surprised that in couple of years or sooner, Auburn may have to join USC as the only teams ever to 'forfeit' their so called 'national championship.' Auburn and so many schools are basically a minor league for the NFL.

As you would expect, a number of ESPN College Football Commentators in it's first year broadcasting this game is calling this very good game the best college football game ever. Gime me a break.:tdown:

Just saw tonight on various websites that Tom Brady has won the 2010 NFL regular season MVP award. Of course Brady will win it. However being 'fair' here how the NFL should be pick it's award winners.

NFL MVP

Who should win it. Micheal Vick. Without Vick, the Eagles win no more than 4-5 games with pre season pick to be McNabb's replacement at QB, Mr. Kolb.

Who Will win it. Tom Brady

NFL Offensive player of the year.

Who Should Win it: Tom Brady. This past season Brady had one of the best season's of his future Hall of Fame carrer.

Who will win it. Brady

NFL Coach of the Year.

Who should win it. Either Tampa's Raheem Morris or KC'sTodd Haley is a very good pick here. Both teams were pre season picks to finish no higher than 3rd place in their divisions.

Who Will Win It Haley. Because he took the Chiefs to a surprise AFC West Title and Morris just missed the playoffs.

replies?

Just saw tonight on various websites that Tom Brady has won the 2010 NFL regular season MVP award. Of course Brady will win it. However being 'fair' here how the NFL should be pick it's award winners.

NFL MVP

Who should win it. Micheal Vick. Without Vick, the Eagles win no more than 4-5 games with pre season pick to be McNabb's replacement at QB, Mr. Kolb.

Who Will win it. Tom Brady

NFL Offensive player of the year.

Who Should Win it: Tom Brady. This past season Brady had one of the best season's of his future Hall of Fame carrer.

Who will win it. Brady

NFL Coach of the Year.

Who should win it. Either Tampa's Raheem Morris or KC'sTodd Haley is a very good pick here. Both teams were pre season picks to finish no higher than 3rd place in their divisions.

Who Will Win It Haley. Because he took the Chiefs to a surprise AFC West Title and Morris just missed the playoffs.

replies?

Now my picks for the NFL 2nd round known to the world as the Divisional Post Season Round.

NFC

Packers vs. Falcons. In this very strange and bizzare season anything is possible. Although the Falcons are the NFC regular season champion and #1 seed in playoffs, they did overachieve. Green Bay is hot right now, so I am going for the upset and the Packers winning in a very loud Ga. Dome.

Winner: Packers

Seahawks vs. Bears. A great argument can be made why Seattle even made the playoffs winning the NFC 'weak.' However beating the defending super bowl champion Saints is a huge way to shut up the critics like myself. However to play at frigid Solider Field in January is very hard. Also for the Seahawks to be playing away from Quest Stadium and their '12th man' not being around to cheer them on will hurt. The Hawks only chance to win this game is if Bears QB Cutler has a bad game i.e throws 3 INT's or more.

Winner: Bears

AFC

Ravens vs Steelers. IMO this is the most diffcult game to pick of this year's NFL divisional final and this game could go either way. This should be a low scoring game in a cold Heinz Field.

I am going for the 'mild upset' and picking Baltimore to win this. The loss of Troy Polamalu is huge for Pitt.

Winners: Ravens

Jets vs. Pats. The shouting match between the Pats and Jets has been ongoing all week. Even Gang Green Coach Rex Ryan has been quiet but several of his players has stating their dislike for Tom Brady. With that said NE IMO and especially Brady are on a 'mission' to win their 4th super bowl in a decade.

This should be a good game with both teams scoring around at least 20 points. I pick the Pats to win by 3-7 points.

Winners. Pats

Reactions?:eek:

We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this special report from ESPN:

Cam Newton, star quarterback for Auburn and this year's Heisman trophy winner, is skipping his senior season at Auburn and entering the NFL draft. Auburn defeated Oregon 22-19 in the National Championship on Monday. Newton was under investigation after his father shopped his services to college recruiters (that's against NCAA policy). However, the 6'6", 250 pound Newton is clearly the best player in college football.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-auburn-newton

The Giants could use a quarterback

We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this special report from ESPN:

Cam Newton, star quarterback for Auburn and this year's Heisman trophy winner, is skipping his senior season at Auburn and entering the NFL draft. Auburn defeated Oregon 22-19 in the National Championship on Monday. Newton was under investigation after his father shopped his services to college recruiters (that's against NCAA policy). However, the 6'6", 250 pound Newton is clearly the best player in college football.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-auburn-newton

The Giants could use a quarterback

I am sure within 2 years Auburn will be stripped of this past season (2010)NCAA Title. Not to mention a possibility Newton losing his Heisman as well so it was time to leave town and join the NFL.

However that kid from Stanford Luck when he leaves will likely have a better pro career than Newtown.

Let's see Ray Lewis talk trash now. The good news is that the Jets match up better with Pittsburgh than Baltimore. However, the Jets have to get past the omnipotent Patriots.

Even if the Jets beat the Pats beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh is not easy. Gang Green was lucky that the Steelers had already clinched a playoff berth/#2 post season seed when they beat them on the next to last weekend of the regular season.

New England is gonna spank both the Jets, and Pittsburgh bare bottoms. New England is healthy, and I think will win this year. Just my opinion, even though I don't like New England. Just feel they will take it this year. Jets do need to shut up, and speak after they win, against the team they beat. They talk to soon, then get those same words shoved down their throats. Mark Sanchez isn't one, and I like how he interviews. Rex Ryan can have confidence, but needs to realize, he is a new head coach. Sometimes he needs to do what New England coach does, and keep his answers short, and let it play out on the field.........

Just my opinion.........

New England is gonna spank both the Jets, and Pittsburgh bare bottoms. New England is healthy, and I think will win this year. Just my opinion, even though I don't like New England. Just feel they will take it this year. Jets do need to shut up, and speak after they win, against the team they beat. They talk to soon, then get those same words shoved down their throats. Mark Sanchez isn't one, and I like how he interviews. Rex Ryan can have confidence, but needs to realize, he is a new head coach. Sometimes he needs to do what New England coach does, and keep his answers short, and let it play out on the field.........

Just my opinion.........

Rex Ryan is like alot like his Daddy former NFL Coach Buddy Ryan. Big mouth that talks too much. :eek:

aint goin 0-4 this week....

got the Steelers beating the Ravens there... I didn't see any of that game (was watching the mini Married with Children marathon).... dozed off... turned it to channel 5, to see Ryan throw a pick-6 to end the 1st half... lol....

The Packers DESTROYING the Falcons right now... 42-14...

3rd qtr.

aint goin 0-4 this week....

got the Steelers beating the Ravens there... I didn't see any of that game (was watching the mini Married with Children marathon).... dozed off... turned it to channel 5, to see Ryan throw a pick-6 to end the 1st half... lol....

The Packers DESTROYING the Falcons right now... 42-14...

3rd qtr.

Bro did not miss much. Packers destoyed the Birds 48-14.:)

FYI. The Ga. Dome was a ghost town by end of game. Almost all of the fans left were Green Bay fans.

A question about a stat. What does "Quaterback Rating' mean? I been following the NFL for over 25 years now and this stat which is so annoying is a relative new number which I don't understand? I really dislike these geek sports information guys with this stat.

Of course I know about passing pct, yards thrown, INT's, etc. which is much more important. Someone please explain "Quaterback Rating?":o:confused:

Maybe someone like B35, FG, Locomotion, EE Local, R68, even East NY or anyone else will know.

I don't know how to calculate it, but I have a general idea of what it means. It's basically the football version of slugging percentage. The highest QB rating possible is ~150. An elite QB like Tom Brady usually has a QB rating of 100+ (Brady has a 111). A second-tier QB like Joe Flacco has a rating of 90+ (Flacco has a 93.6). A mediocre QB like Eli Manning has a rating in the upper 70's or 80's (Eli has a 85.3).

Gang Green has a 14-3 lead. We scored our second touchdown with 0:33 remaining.

A good first half in this game. The winner meets the Steelers in the A.F.C. Championship Game.

Jets, Jets, Jets. Please God let the Jets win so they can go on to the Superbowl, and win that too with your help though.

A question about a stat. What does "Quaterback Rating' mean? I been following the NFL for over 25 years now and this stat which is so annoying is a relative new number which I don't understand? I really dislike these geek sports information guys with this stat.

Of course I know about passing pct, yards thrown, INT's, etc. which is much more important. Someone please explain "Quaterback Rating?":o:confused:

Maybe someone like B35, FG, Locomotion, EE Local, R68, even East NY or anyone else will know.

In a nutshell, the QB rating is a measure of a QB's efficiency & accuracy....

Forest Glen has the right idea.... it is similar to figuring out a batters slugging %...

The highest QB rating you can get is 158.3....

[Playing (mastering) NFL 2k2 for dreamcast is how I remember that number....]

I used to know how to calculate it, but over the years, I pretty much forgot...

what I do remember, is that, you have to consider a QB's completion %, interception rate, TD rate, and yards/throw (this includes incompletions)....

If you complete all your pass attempts, that doesn't necessarily make it automatic that you'll obtain a perfect QB rating.... on the same side of the coin, to get a perfect QB rating you don't necessarily have to complete all your pass attempts (a lot of people think this)...

BUT, you can never get a perfect QB rating if you throw an interception.

personally, idc for QB ratings b/c it doesn't take into account, a QB's scrambling/running ability....

a QB like Vick would have a low QB rating, if, in a game, his total pass yards (remember, the eagles are a big play offense, they get yds in chunks) are almost equal to his rushing yards.... if you have butterfingered recievers, your rating also goes down....

it's an antiquated stat, if you ask me.... back in the day, QB's generally didn't leave the pocket.....

hope that helps somewhat, Shortline.

Archived