Fareboxes

LRG

I remember dipping my MetroCard into the farebox on the B26 last year...the farebox took off $2.00 and this was two weeks after the fare hike to $2.25.

Where will you plug it into? Also, you'll need the Luminator destination setter or else it'll be a pile of junk laying around the house.

Lucky you. :P

By the way, I've never been around the system the day after a fare hike. They say that they raise the fares at 3AM. How do they do it? Do they program the buses to charge the extra fare in advance and then at 3AM they push a button to program the farebox to take the extra fare? Do they do the same with the subway turnstiles?

By the way, how do transfers work during that time period? If I got on one bus at 2:30AM and got on another bus at 3:30AM, would I be charged an extra $0.25? (In the case of the last fare hike)

I'm still looking for the bus that has the box numbered 0001... the closest I seen was 0008 on a Fresh Pond bus (it was a 95xx)

I've seen a few Flatbush NGs that say "MaBSTOA/Manhattanille" & "MaBSTOA/Amsterdam" written on the fareboxes

Interesting, do you remember the number of the NGs [like are they the 4200s or 4571-4630]?

I remember dipping my MetroCard into the farebox on the B26 last year...the farebox took off $2.00 and this was two weeks after the fare hike to $2.25.

Panhandling

House party fee collection

piggybank

Where will you plug it into? Also, you'll need the Luminator destination setter or else it'll be a pile of junk laying around the house.

It wont be junk in the house.Just think of all the uses....

Panhandling

Piggybank

House party fee collection

Tablestand

Lampbase

College fund

M&M dispenser

Oh and dont forget you need a beakie box to go with it to learn important colors.:P

I worked when the last fare hike went into effect and at 0001hrs or 1201am it was deducting $2.25. i did not have any problems with transfers but a few were short on the metrocard with 2.00 only one the card. Here is a like to the overview of IFU

http://cts.cubic.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1YG%2fpIyGcYA%3d&tabid=361

From looking over this link, it seems that the farebox is made to accept all coins worth less than 50 cents, including pennies. So that means the (MTA) purposely programs them not to accept pennies, right?

From looking over this link, it seems that the farebox is made to accept all coins worth less than 50 cents, including pennies. So that means the (MTA) purposely programs them not to accept pennies, right?

The MTA says that the fareboxes don't accept pennies...but they actually do, as a matter of fact.

The fare box is bolted to the floor of the bus,all bus floors are made of plywood. I've driven buses with the fare box removed and I've driven buses that haven't been fitted with a fare box yet,they come to us without any holes for wiring or mounting. Transfers are free so there is no step up fare unless you go from a Local route to an Express route.

But they can't take half-dollar coins because those are too big.

You'd think they'd take those damn Susan b's that the MVM's spit out for change....I Hate those damn things....that's why i make sure to never need change back or use plastic when refilling my MC....

That would explain the blue metrocard and $1.50 fare I saw on a Orion VII NG.

I've seen boxes so old looking on NG and OG's that looked like they were once used on GMC RTS's...

But they do have newer boxes as well....you can tell from the Red/Green light is different from the older boxes

You'd think they'd take those damn Susan b's that the MVM's spit out for change....I Hate those damn things....that's why i make sure to never need change back or use plastic when refilling my MC....

They do accept Susan B. Anthony Dollar coins. But I haven't seen them in a while to the extent that the next time I get one from the vending machines I'll try not to use it. But they're very well still in circulation.

It must be annoying for the B/0's when the fare box alarm goes off and the only way to shut it off is to meet up with a supervisor who has the key to the box. This problem occurs more often then you think. Any electronic device is bound to malfunction sooner or later.

Farebox alarm, what is the point of that? A farebox with change in it, weighs alot.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

They do accept Susan B. Anthony Dollar coins. But I haven't seen them in a while to the extent that the next time I get one from the vending machines I'll try not to use it. But they're very well still in circulation.

The MVMs still spit them out. And the faeboxes take all the coins, pennies included (I paid part of my fare with them 1 time ;))...I'm not so sure about the half-dollar coins though

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The MVMs still spit them out. And the faeboxes take all the coins, pennies included (I paid part of my fare with them 1 time ;))...I'm not so sure about the half-dollar coins though

They don't accept half-dollar coins...they're too big.

Archived