How Do You Feel About The BX55?

EE Broadway Local

Just curiosity: How do you feel about the BX55 bus route?

This route replaced the 70(8) Third Avenue line on April 29, 1973 and stayed with us.

In the days before MetroCard, the BX55 provided actual, free transfers to the (2)(5) at East 149th Street (I'm not sure if you remember but the transfer was via special booths) and at Gun Hill Road while making the old station stops on Third and Webster Avenues.

MetroCard changed the transfer meaning but the BX55 continues to make the old station stops.

Now since June 27th, the BX55 pretty much runs only between The Hub (East 149th Street-Third Avenue) and Fordham Plaza with service to Gun Hill Road weekdays only until approximately 7pm.

Just curiosity: How do you feel about the BX55 bus route?

This route replaced the 70(8) Third Avenue line on April 29, 1973 and stayed with us.

In the days before MetroCard, the BX55 provided actual, free transfers to the (2)(5) at East 149th Street (I'm not sure if you remember but the transfer was via special booths) and at Gun Hill Road while making the old station stops on Third and Webster Avenues.

MetroCard changed the transfer meaning but the BX55 continues to make the old station stops.

Now since June 27th, the BX55 pretty much runs only between The Hub (East 149th Street-Third Avenue) and Fordham Plaza with service to Gun Hill Road weekdays only until approximately 7pm.

I like the Bx55. I think it is one of the most unique routes in the city. Essentially, its a Limited Bx15.

I like the Bx55. It's a stronghold North-South route in the Bronx, it's Limited, it uses cool Artic buses and it's fairly busy (I have a thing for busy routes) I just wish I could have ridden the service to Yankee Stadium.

But it can be slow sometimes...

In fact, it's ear-marked for a potential SBS in the [near?] future

See here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/brt_future_corridors.pdf

[page 'd']

Notably, where it says 'Short List for Next Select Bus Service Route' the Third Av/Webster Av corridor is right on top. Make of that what you will...

I like the idea of an extension to 125th/Lex.

I know everyone's thinking this already, just add stops at Third Av & 138 St [The Southwest corner, currently there's no bus stop there now.]

And the last stop will be at Lex Av & 125 St [the M35's current terminal] and if we're ever talking SBS, I say move the M35 terminal to the Southwest coner of that intersection. [but make space so that an articulated M35 can succesfully lay over without disturbing the M101/M103 stop at 124th St]

Anyways, If I remember it right the SB Bx15 travels like this:

From 3rd Av onto Lincoln Av at 136th St and back onto 3rd Av going on the bridge. So just keep the 55 on 3 Av for the entire stretch.

And IINM coming off the 3rd Av Bridge there's an exit heading onto 129th St [heading West] So a bus can turn right on 129th St and turn left on Lex Av heading South. And I'm sure it'd be quicker than the Bx15 routing.

But yeah, the (Bx55) is one of my favorite routes ever.

:tup: :tup:

I try it one time, but I only day Fordham Plaza one. It didn't feel like LTD because it felt only like skip 1-stop something.

Yesterday, enroute to home, I stop by at Fordham Plaza if anyone was waiting for Bx55. I even ask dispatcher if anyone is confuse with Bx55 and he said yes.

Addendum to my post that the Bx55 should be discontinued:

1. Bx15 Limited. Originating at Grand Concourse and Fordham Road (first pickup in the Bx22/34 stand): Express to Fordham Plaza, then Bx55 Limited stops between Fordham Plaza and 149 Street, then express to 138 St/3 Avenue via 3 and Alexander. Express to 125 St/2 Avenue, skip 3 Avenue, all stops after Lexington Avenue.

2. Bx15 Local 1: All stops between Concourse/Fordham and 149 Street, end.

3. Bx15 Local 2: All stops between Concourse/Fordham and St. Nicholas Avenue/125 Street, end.

4. Bx15 Local 3: Rush hours only in peak direction: All stops between 149 Street and Claremont Parkway only, and end.

I believe the Bx55 was the MTA's first limited stop bus wasn't it? and the Bx55 used to also operate to 161st-Yankee Stadium I'm guessing to serve the courts and public buildings around Concourse Village which i think is a service that would be very well utilized today. I used to take the route back before Fordham Plaza was built and the Bx24 used to run on Fordham. I remember the transfer booths at 149-3rd Ave. But the the routes purpose pretty much doesn't exist anymore. It is now just a limited Bx15. So maybe a new purpose can be envisioned for the route. I thought about the idea of restoring its Yankee Stadium branch and extending it to Gateway Mall. Otherwise the Bx55 will probably be extinct soon.

On a vaguely related note the Bx13 should also be extended to Gateway Mall.

I like the Bx55. However, it makes too many stops that are considered irrelevant to today's ridership demands, such as 174th Street and 166th Street. Plus, there's no direct transfer to the Bx35 at 168th Street and no connection to the (6) train at 138th Street-3rd Avenue, which is often used as alternative routes to the often-delayed (2) and (5) trains.

As for the SBS, the Bx55 would be a perfect candidate. My proposed Bx55 SBS would run from Park Avenue/125th Street to Gun Hill Road/White Plains Road (2) station.

N/B route: Park Av, 125th St, Madison Av, Mad Av Bridge, 138th St, 3 Av, 189th St, Webster Av, Gun Hill Rd

S/B: Gun Hill Rd, Webster Av, 188th St, 3rd Av, 3rd Av Bridge, 129th St, Park Av

Stops

125th St/Park Avenue (4)(5)(6) Harlem MNRR, M35, M60, M100, M101, M103, Bx15

138th St/3rd Av (6) Bx1, Bx2, Bx21, Bx32, Bx33

149th St (serves the Hub and Lincoln Hospital as well as nearby clinics) (2)(5) Bx2, Bx4, Bx19, Bx41

156th St (serves the upcoming residential area of Melrose Commons and the northern portion of the Hub)

163rd St Bx6, Bx21

168th St Bx35

Claremont Pkwy Bx11

East Tremont Av Bx40, Bx42

180th St Bx36, Bx36 LTD

183rd St (St. Barnabas Hospital and Little Italy)

Fordham Road/Webster Av Fordham MNRR, Bx9, Bx12, Bx17, Bx22, Bx41, Bee-Line 60, 61, 62 to Westchester County

Bedford Park Blvd Botanical MNRR, Bx26

204th St (serving Norwood)

Gun Hill Road Bx28, Bx30, Bx38, Williamsbridge MNRR

White Plains Road/Gun Hill Rd Bx28, Bx30, Bx38, Bx39, (2)

Although those living in the Morris Housing Projects at 169th Street would be angry about losing a limited stop, the stop is now a block south at 168th Street, allowing them to choose between taking the Bx55 to the (2)(5) or (6) or the Bx35 to the (4) or (D).

I believe the Bx55 was the MTA's first limited stop bus wasn't it? and the Bx55 used to also operate to 161st-Yankee Stadium I'm guessing to serve the courts and public buildings around Concourse Village which i think is a service that would be very well utilized today. I used to take the route back before Fordham Plaza was built and the Bx24 used to run on Fordham. I remember the transfer booths at 149-3rd Ave. But the the routes purpose pretty much doesn't exist anymore. It is now just a limited Bx15. So maybe a new purpose can be envisioned for the route. I thought about the idea of restoring its Yankee Stadium branch and extending it to Gateway Mall. Otherwise the Bx55 will probably be extinct soon.

On a vaguely related note the Bx13 should also be extended to Gateway Mall.

IMO, it should be every other run extended. The question is: Where can the buses be reasonably turned without having to go to Lincoln Hospital?

(BTW, the poster means Gateway Mall by 149 and River Avenue; like the one in Brooklyn, both are owned by the same company.)

IMO, it should be every other run extended. The question is: Where can the buses be reasonably turned without having to go to Lincoln Hospital?

(BTW, the poster means Gateway Mall by 149 and River Avenue; like the one in Brooklyn, both are owned by the same company.)

I was thinking about that ....

Possibly from River Avenue right on exterior street then right on E150th Street. The one in Brooklyn is served by 3 bus routes including one from Queens. Why not extend The Bx13 and even the Bx55 ( Although it would be a bit of pipe dream) either via the old 161st route or via 149th. This would bring some relevance to an otherwise redundant route.

• 2 weeks later...

I still like the Bx55, but I really liked it in it's original form when it was a "special" route. Back in the day... it was actually called an Express. It used to be a fun and fast ride back when S/B buses operated along Washington Ave. Once they converted Third Ave back to two-way traffic flow, the ride got much slower. It has indeed become just another route. I remember they also wouldn't honor student bus passes. You had to have a train pass for the Bx55.

Archived