Your 4/5 Line Improvements

Harry

Extend line eastbound to Canarsie/Rockaway Pkwy Sta. via Rockaway Pkwy with a stop at Brookdale Hosp. Rehab the Cortlandt St., Wall St., and Bowling Green Stations. During rehab trains run non-stop from Bklyn Br. to Borough Hall. Rush hour and after hour shuttle service provided. Use M1 and M6 buses during off peak times.

If I had my druthers and billions of dollars in budget, these are the changes I'd make to the whole "A" Division as this impacts the (4) I'll just put the whole thing.

Reconfigure switches south of Franklin Ave to send the (2) and (3) down to Flatbush, (3) terminates at Flatbush using the current tracks. The (2) diverges north of the station, stops opposite the current tracks at Flatbush, and continues on to Avenue X (place a yard near Avenue X). The switch reconfiguration at Franklin, as I'd imagine it, would eliminate the need for trains to cross over in front of each other, allowing for faster service. (4) runs full time to New Lots (with peak express in the Bronx) but makes the stops at Nostrand and Kingston. The <5> runs to Utica, skipping Nostrand and Kingston. The regular (5) runs to South Ferry via Lex, and since the (1) would terminate at the new South Ferry terminal located below the loop station, no problems here. Additionally this would eliminate the need to fumigate the (5)'s at Bowling Green, reducing geese-caused delays on both the (4) and (5). All (5)'s to Dyre, all (2)'s to Wakefield/241. Some peak express service on BOTH (2) and (5) in the Bronx, but only between 3rd Ave. and E. 180th, nothing after the routes split (and no need to rebuild the Dyre line express tracks).

In general, yard assignments for the affected routes would be:

(1) (VCP -> South Ferry) 240th st yard, 207th (and yes 137th)

(2) (241/Wakefield -> Ave. X) East 180th/Unionport, 239th, Ave. X

(3) (148/Lenox -> Flatbush Ave.) Lenox, Ave. X, if need be 239th also

(4) (Woodlawn -> New Lots Ave.) Jerome, Livonia

(5) (Dyre Ave. -> South Ferry) East 180th/Unionport, 239th if need be

<5> (Dyre Ave. -> Utica Ave.) East 180th/Unionport, 239th if need be, Livonia if need be

just my 2c...

If I had my druthers and billions of dollars in budget, these are the changes I'd make to the whole "A" Division as this impacts the (4) I'll just put the whole thing.

Reconfigure switches south of Franklin Ave to send the (2) and (3) down to Flatbush, (3) terminates at Flatbush using the current tracks. The (2) diverges north of the station, stops opposite the current tracks at Flatbush, and continues on to Avenue X (place a yard near Avenue X). The switch reconfiguration, as I'd imagine it, would eliminate the need for trains to cross over in front of each other, allowing for faster service. (4) runs full time to New Lots (with peak express in the Bronx) but makes the stops at Nostrand and Kingston. The <5> runs to Utica, skipping Nostrand and Kingston. The regular (5) runs to South Ferry via Lex, and since the (1) would terminate at the new South Ferry terminal located below the loop station, no problems here. Additionally this would eliminate the need to fumigate the (5)'s at Bowling Green, reducing geese-caused delays on both the (4) and (5). All (5)'s to Dyre, all (2)'s to Wakefield/241. Some peak express service on BOTH (2) and (5) in the Bronx, but only between 3rd Ave. and E. 180th, nothing after the routes split (and no need to rebuild the Dyre line express tracks).

In general, yard assignments for the affected routes would be:

(1) (VCP -> South Ferry) 240th st yard, 207th (and yes 137th)

(2) (241/Wakefield -> Ave. X) East 180th/Unionport, 239th, Ave. X

(3) (148/Lenox -> Flatbush Ave.) Lenox, Ave. X, if need be 239th also

(4) (Woodlawn -> New Lots Ave.) Jerome, Livonia

(5) (Dyre Ave. -> South Ferry) East 180th/Unionport, 239th if need be

<5> (Dyre Ave. -> Utica Ave.) East 180th/Unionport, 239th if need be

just my 2c...

You know, you really have a good point their. Utilizing BOTH South Ferry Terminals. The (1) to the new one, while the (5) uses the Loop.. Not bad dude. Running a Lexington Av Line to South Ferry is definitely needed in our days.

well as i mentioned in the other thread, i would put more trains into service in the rush hours, or make them pass faster so there wont be a lot of people waiting for a train. oh man, its terrible:eek: to take the (4) train btw those hours. its really overcrowded. so thats the only change ill would make to it. after that everything is fine at the moment.

I use the Union Square station everyday and it absolutely amazes me how many people wait for the (4)(5) lines. Once the platform empties and just fills right back up again in a matter of 3 short minutes. Since I don't the line at all I wanted to see what you guys think would be good improvements for the line.

Here is my wish list for Improvements on the (4)(5)(6) Lines.

(4) Run trains every 4 to 6 Minutes weekends / Evenings. Midnights every 15 Minutes. Run some trains Express between Burnside Ave to 149 GC peak direction during Rush Hours.

(5) Middays / Evenings / Wkends operate from Dyre Ave to Flatbush Ave / Utica.

Nights Dyre Ave to 149 GC.

(6) Between 11PM and 5 AM run service from Pelham Bay Pk to Bowling Green

What i will do to improve the (4) line is...

1]Run more R62s on the line just like in the 90s...

2]put CBTC on the (4) even the R142/As would have to get rebuilt just to run it LOL

What i will do to improve the (5) line is....

1]BAN all (5) trains from to going to utica its annoying that half of the rush hour (5) trains go to utica.

2]Make all (5) trains go to flatbush ave during midday and rush hours...

3]run on shorter headways...

the (4) is great on the Bronx end headway wise and seatwise....but when it runs at night its pretty empty so I would have more police on the trains and platforms and resignal the midtown part so there could be shorter headways and more trains or just run a commercial...."just wait for the next train to make it a easier ride for all of us.

Now the (5)....the headways in the Bronx are terrible especially on the weekends like every 15-25 minutes last I remember so just more trains.

I would eliminate the express service in the Bronx on the (5), and make all trains local. With the current setup, it's very difficult for south Bronx riders to access the east side in the morning and return home in the afternoon.

Did you mean the <5>? And yes, I would elminate the <5> for better service and make all (5) local in the Bronx.

Did you mean the <5>? And yes, I would elminate the <5> for better service and make all (5) local in the Bronx.

I wouldn't. The <5> express save a lot of time for those going to the N.E. Bronx. Elminating it would just back up trains at E. 180 st more so than they already are. If anything the (2) should get a service increase or have some (3)'s run to E. 180 st.

As for the the (5) leave it alone but increase service and actually have some trains go to Nereid Av. It's pain in the behind to not know where your train is going and have to sit at E. 180 st for 15 mins before the T/O knows.

The (4) needs some Peak Bronx Exp Service. Have trains run every 4-5 mins to Burnside and every 5-6 minutes to Woodlawn. Trains to/from Woodlawn make all stops to Burnside then 149-GC and 125st

I wouldn't. The <5> express save a lot of time for those going to the N.E. Bronx. Elminating it would just back up trains at E. 180 st more so than they already are. If anything the (2) should get a service increase or have some (3)'s run to E. 180 st.

As for the the (5) leave it alone but increase service and actually have some trains go to Nereid Av. It's pain in the behind to not know where your train is going and have to sit at E. 180 st for 15 mins before the T/O knows.

The (4) needs some Peak Bronx Exp Service. Have trains run every 4-5 mins to Burnside and every 5-6 minutes to Woodlawn. Trains to/from Woodlawn make all stops to Burnside then 149-GC and 125st

I'd just do all (5)'s and <5>'s to Dyre, all (2)'s and <2>'s to 241. One in three trains on each route is a peak express. That way, people further up can save commute time on BOTH the east and west side lines, and it's readily clear which trains are going where (because geese love to not read the signs). This shouldn't jack up E. 180 TOO bad either, give priority to the locals to clear the track first, then while the N/B train behind it pulls into E. 180 on the local, the <5> express crosses over if need be, and by the time that local is ready to go, the track is clear and the next express can pull in.

• 2 weeks later...
If anything the (2) should get a service increase or have some (3)'s run to E. 180 st.

I like that idea even more. Eliminate the 145th and 148th Street stops on the (3), and have rush hour service to/from 180th on the (3).

The Bronx-bound (4) is already very crowded, but my solution would be to increase the headways rather than start a <4> express Bronx route. A lot of the riders on the (4) are going to stops in the south Bronx, like 161st and 167th.

Archived