A lilttle help for people with ISO problems

I know, I know, we've all seen pictures with extremely high ISO.

Heres some reminders when shooting underground.

1.Never set your ISO above 800

2.Shoot the train when its stopped, not when its coming into the station.

3.Use a slow shutter speed, I recommend somewhere along the lines of 1\10

If you follow these steps then the result should look like this.

_DSC1561-1.jpg

I think we all know who i'm trying to help -__-

I know, I know, we've all seen pictures with extremely high ISO.

Heres some reminders when shooting underground.

1.Never set your ISO above 800

2.Shoot the train when its stopped, not when its coming into the station.

3.Use a slow shutter speed, I recommend somewhere along the lines of 1\10

If you follow these steps then the result should look like this.

_DSC1561-1.jpg

I think we all know who i'm trying to help -__-

I don't go below 1/15, rarely do I do 1/13. While I have IS, I tend to be kinda shaky. Ive found the moving shots, they work maybe once in a while I get lucky but for the most part they dont work unless you increase the shutter speed then things get too dark.

You can't use a one set of settings across the board for all cameras. Why do railfains insist on doing that? Cameras all have different sensors with different sensitivity for light. What would work on one camera, won't work on others.

As a rule of thumb, you really shouldn't go over ISO 400 on a point & shoot. Most digital SLRs can handle ISO 800 fine and even ISO 1600 if you nail the exposure; i've shot at ISO 1600 and have had excellent results with the right exposure.

As a rule of thumb, you really shouldn't go over ISO 400 on a point & shoot. Most digital SLRs can handle ISO 800 fine and even ISO 1600 if you nail the exposure; i've shot at ISO 1600 and have had excellent results with the right exposure.

Your right my P&S photos become noisy over ISO 400

I tend to shoot at 400 all the time & it seems fairly similar model to model even on different brands.

Moving trains are easy, you just pan with the train, but it takes some practice. In low light, wait till it stops though.

- A

If you have a f/1.4 lens, set the ISO to 1600 and set the shutter speed to 1/500 or 1/1000 to freeze motion.

Now all we need is a 28mm or 24mm f1.4 that I could afford LOL.

One tip I always recommend, is if your zoom is listed as, for example, "f3.3-5.6" or something like that (in other words, almost all P&S zooms and most kit lenses), keep it zoomed to the "wide" end at all times underground. You'll need every bit of that f3.3 down there. Zooming to 55mm (or whatever) will kick it back to f5.6 and your shutter speeds will suffer.

Even better, spring for a faster prime lens like the f1.4 mentioned above, or even an f1.8. Nikon makes a 35mm f1.8 that's quite reasonably priced. Canon makes a variety as well. Leave the zoom lens at home.

I shot this at f2.8 at 1/20 and ISO 800.

120.jpg

Well now I've been shooting @ 1/20 with ISO 800. I'm thinking about changing my settings to F3.5 1/15 with ISO 200 or 400. Is that good?

shoot with whatever the light meter tells you to. You can't go OH I'll USE THIS SETTING before you're AT the location you want to shoot.

shoot with whatever the light meter tells you to. You can't go OH I'll USE THIS SETTING before you're AT the location you want to shoot.

If he does that then he has a surprise waiting for him. I use to do that when I 1st started learning. It all depends on the light in that station and you go from there.

If he does that then he has a surprise waiting for him. I use to do that when I 1st started learning. It all depends on the light in that station and you go from there.

That's the big advantage of digital; you can take one or more test shots beforehand and see what they look like on the monitor. With film, we had to wait for it to come back from processing to see what the pictures looked like. Sometimes they were good, other times not so.

Another thing to keep in mind. Watch out to make sure the train's headlight doesn't upset your exposure when it enters the scene. You might have the exposure perfect, but when the train arrives the picture goes dark because the camera's light meter sees the headlight and adjusts accordingly. Use the Exposure Lock feature if your camera has one, or just switch to Manual.

I'm a P&S user with no ISO control lol. Wish I could manually change the ISO but it's automatic and doesn't always look nice, then when I try to brighten the picture it looks like this:

09v2.jpg

Very grainy & cloudy in what could've been a great shot (by my standards of course lol).

Archived