Jimmy McMillan, of 'The Rent is 2 damn high party,' upstages Carl Paladino and Andrew Cuomo

Shortline Bus

Jimmy McMillan, of 'The Rent is 2 damn high party,' upstages Carl Paladino and Andrew Cuomo

BY Aliyah Shahid

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, October 19th 2010,

Spectacle," "circus," and "comedy show" have all been used to describe Monday night's gubernatorial debate in New York.

And while Carl Paladino and Andrew Cuomo have grabbed the most attention in the race, the five other fringe candidates – including Gov. Eliot Spitzer's supposed madam, Kristin Davis of the Anti-Prohibition party, former-Black Panther and city council member Charles Barron, Green Partier Howie Hawkins, and Libertarian Party's Warren Redlich all raised eyebrows on last night's panel.

But many viewers had their eyes focused on Jimmy McMillan of "The rent is 2 damn high party" with his black gloves, Gettysburg-ish end-to-end mustache/beard combo, and voice not dissimilar to a 1980's Mr. T -- leaving viewers with just one question: Who exactly is this guy?

It's not the 64-year-old's first foray into politics. The retired postal worker and Vietnam War veteran from Flatbush, Brooklyn ran for mayor in 2005 (he was called an anti-Semite after blaming rent problems on Jews).

In Monday night's debate, McMillan repeatedly called for lower rents in public and private housing -- although he lacked specifics on implementation. When asked about gay marriage, a topic that has haunted Paladino, McMillan won laughs saying, "If you want to marry a shoe, I'd marry you."

On the state's multi-billion deficit, he declared, "It's like a cancer. It will heal itself."

McMillan has said that one of the most important talents he'd bring to Albany is his Karate skills. The amateur musician has also posted a song on his website, chastising the state for taking the word "damn" out of his party time. He's also placed a smorgasbord of issues on his website, including "transgender," "real-estate Ponzi," and "things that matter."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/10/19/2010-10-19_jimmy_mcmillan_of_the_rent_is_2_damn_high_party_upstages_carl_paladino_and_andre.html#ixzz12tON6Qj8

Personally while I am all for '3-party' candidates to be involved in these debates, this was ridiculous IMO to allow all of them to this debate.

I only think you allowed this many people to be on-stage if this was a primary debate.

This farce of a semi-reality tv game show has overshadowed what is a very important NY Governor's race.

I read (someone can correct me)that Paladino wanted this format while Cuomo only wanted the top '3' candidates at Hofstra.

Starting in 2012, I believe only the GOP, Democratic and the top 3rd party, candidate based on polls/highest number of pentition signatures should be allowed to debate in NY and nationwide.

I will say (I did not see this debate as I watching the Yankee game)from watching part of this later on NY1 News re-run online this morning, McMillan did look the best in this debate.

Archived