Cars 9848-9850 horribly tagged up

QM1to6Ave

Exactly people are so dumb these days that they don't even know the (MTA) has website with all the serivce delays. When they are delayed they just blame the (MTA) but the (MTA) told them that it was going to be delayed. They are just too lazy or too dumb to look it up on google. I wonder how they would spell google considering how stupid they are.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't explain how thin the sheet is. Though one thing I can explain is the materials of the car are welded and put together cheaply.

Then explain. Be specific.

And one more thing, you know what the R160 and the R40 have in common?

They got you from point A to point B. And that's really all that matters, is it not?

Exactly people are so dumb these days that they don't even know the (MTA) has website with all the serivce delays. When they are delayed they just blame the (MTA) but the (MTA) told them that it was going to be delayed. They are just too lazy or too dumb to look it up on google. I wonder how they would spell google considering how stupid they are.

What about people who don't have internet access on the road? Not everyone has a smartphone or 3G service, and if something pops up in the middle of the day how is one to find out about it if one cannot access the internet?

I doubt it, they try to keep as much of that in house as they can. They won't even talk about something with CBTC over the radio.

What I meant is if there are issues that are noticeable to the public since most of the public is aware of the automatic operation on the line.

If there are non-noticeable electronic defects, then no those won't make the news.

However knowing the news, if anything does make it to the news, it will probably be a couple months after the incident in question.

9848-9850 are not the only cars that look like that. did anyone see 9343-9347? the whole 5 cars are tagged up. 9353-9357? both sides of the 3 cars are tagged up.:mad: 9483-9485, 9767, 9576, 9143-9144, 9223-9226 those cars look bad. but not as horrid as 9483 and 9484. when that set rolled into sutphin blvd, the look on peoples face was in sheer disbelief, I even heard 2 "woah"s. the Blotches on the (M) trains look really bad, i'd prefer the paint job over the blotches. :confused:

Guest lance25

Deal with it. As long it doesn't affect the way the trains run, it really doesn't matter. Yes, it makes the trains look ugly, but what are they gonna do about it, the trains have to layup somewhere and taggers are not gonna stop doing what they do.

Just like the R143's being able to be bent out of shape just by a truck dangling off of one end. It seems everything is lighter construction, now.

Weren't the R40's carbon steel underneath (the frame, bulkheads, etc)? I thought only the 32's and 46's and up were all stainless.

Just like the R143's being able to be bent out of shape just by a truck dangling off of one end. It seems everything is lighter construction, now.

Weren't the R40's carbon steel underneath (the frame, bulkheads, etc)? I thought only the 32's and 46's and up were all stainless.

R160s is Carbon steel. So my guess is that the R142/143s are as well. Wonder if the R110s are also Carbon but idk. For the R62s/68s idk too.

Actually you are right NYCSubway.org spreadsheet of the R46, R110A/B, R143, and R142/A is that the R46, R110A/B, R143, and R142/A is built with the same materials, and building process as the R160. The R32, R42, R62/A, and R68/A are made differently from the NTT and is built out of pure stainless steel and the floors and seats are pure fiberglass. Which is a really strong subway train.

So my guess is that the R142/143s are as well. Wonder if the R110s are also Carbon but idk. For the R62s/68s idk too.

I don't think the other NTT's are b\c they don't have that brown rust stained shit on the doors and exterior.You may see brake dust at most.But the R62's/68's are fine they look great and to me they look so good they could last till there 45yrs old they run fine and don't even look their age.

The R160B sheet mentions that the R160 isn't pure stainless steel. There is fiberglass too. The problems that forced the R40's to retirement could plague the R160's in the not so far future too. Fiberglass usually have a life rate of 20 years if exposed to harsh environment. Stainless steel usually have a life rate of 30-40 years. So what is going to kill the R160's is the fiberglass parts of the cars. So the (MTA) could have had wasted their money for nothing. Basically the R160's are like the R40's. They are composed of welded stainless steel including the roof with fiberglass ends and strips. The R160's floor composes of plywood with stainless steel mats. So basically if you remove the thin stainless steel you are going to find wood. The only difference between R160's and R40's are their appearence.

The control cabs, however, have are stainless steel ends. As for plywood, isn't the floor of most cars plywood? To me, what needs to be done is graffiti in the MTA system or on an MTA bus should be a Class C or more serious felony in NYC.

As for the steel used in the R68s versus that in the Next Generation cars (R142 and newer), I have to believe that if the R68 steel was used, the cars may end up being way too heavy.

Whether or not the subfloor material is plywood is meaningless, because the plate underneath is steel, which is what is exposed to the elements. If any subfloor material deteriorates, the car can receive an entirely new floor. This can, has been, and will continue to be done on cars. Just saw one getting a new floor not two weeks ago. What's underneath and exposed to the elements though is steel.

The floor and seat material has nothing to do with the longevity or structural integrity of the car. What does is the structural steel (especially the side sill composition) and the side plating, as well as the tightness of the design in terms of keeping out leaks.

To Eric B, The structural steel of the R40's was carbon steel, which was a factor in why the R32's (all stainless) outlasted them.

Not that I give a shit about the R160s, I do hope vandals caught tagging up cars gets their hands broken as punishment. Prison or a fine would be too good for them and won't really teach them a lesson.

Violence is a better deterrant. I can see something like this: "damage our equipment, we will break your hands". ;)

Not that I give a shit about the R160s, I do hope vandals caught tagging up cars gets their hands broken as punishment. Prison or a fine would be too good for them and won't really teach them a lesson.

Violence is a better deterrant. I can see something like this: "damage our equipment, we will break your hands". :D

I agree. ;)

Uhhhhh, apparently the way the steel was designed to be "graffiti-repellent" didn't exactly work out the way they expected.

By the way, the trains have a carbon-steel frame and the steel is steel, while it may be lighter it'll still hold up with the right care.

And plywood isn't anywhere near as bad as compressed fiberboard wood is, you know, the crap that they use to make cheap faux wood furniture. Plywood is pretty good if you ask me.

I think a truck weighs about as much as car, though. For sure it's a couple thousand pounds. Also, I've watched the Ultimate Factories episode on TV like 5 times by now. It looks to me like they were built well, and will last a long time.

Actually you are right NYCSubway.org spreadsheet of the R46, R110A/B, R143, and R142/A is that the R46, R110A/B, R143, and R142/A is built with the same materials, and building process as the R160. The R32, R42, R62/A, and R68/A are made differently from the NTT and is built out of pure stainless steel and the floors and seats are pure fiberglass. Which is a really strong subway train.
So now, it's the 42 that are pure stainless steel? Didn't they have internal frame rusting issues as well? They seemed worse than the 40's. (Or was that just the roof?)

So now, it's the 42 that are pure stainless steel? Didn't they have internal frame rusting issues as well? They seemed worse than the 40's. (Or was that just the roof?)

The 42's also have a carbon steel frame. It's only the R32's that were all stainless.

I think a truck weighs about as much as car, though. For sure it's a couple thousand pounds. Also, I've watched the Ultimate Factories episode on TV like 5 times by now. It looks to me like they were built well, and will last a long time.

A train's trucks weigh significantly more than a car. Even an unmotorized truck weighs more than 10,000 lbs.

A car in most cases weighs less than 3,000, and even vans and SUV's typically weigh in under 5,000.

Then explain. Be specific.

And one more thing, you know what the R160 and the R40 have in common?

They got you from point A to point B. And that's really all that matters, is it not?

What about people who don't have internet access on the road? Not everyone has a smartphone or 3G service, and if something pops up in the middle of the day how is one to find out about it if one cannot access the internet?

You two are just speaking to a person who thinks they know it all, when in fact, that person knows nothing. :tdown:

Only the R32s were pure stainless steel, the slants/mods (from what I was told) and R42s had some pretty bad rusting issues inside and out.

A train's trucks weigh significantly more than a car. Even an unmotorized truck weighs more than 10,000 lbs.

A car in most cases weighs less than 3,000, and even vans and SUV's typically weigh in under 5,000.

Heh, just to think that one Arnine, BU or Lo-V motor weighs a bit more than even a full-size SUV.

Archived