Out-Of-Control PATH Conductor Tosses Passengers' Food

buswizard

I mean it'd be different if you informed people that there's no eating on the train but snatching? Gtfoh, first of all you're not doing that to me just to get things straight. You're not snatching anything I payed for and throwing it out the window unless you want to go out the window of the train too. I wish a passenger could've made an example out of him for being an ass, on the train in front of everyone.

The PATH is a way cleaner system than the subway and I understand they want to keep it that way but snatching someone's food?

Never rode the PATH but that's just my 2 cents. :P

There are looped recorded reminders, posters, and stenciled vinyl decals depicting the soda cup with burger, trash dropping figure, and the boombox in a circle with line though them.

People think the rules don't apply to them, it's ridiculous.

Don't even get me started with people feeding pigeons! :mad::mad::mad:

- A

um, who ever told you that lied.

PATH may seem crazy with all of its super strick rules, but when you take into account all the fact that a plot was unveiled to blow up its Hudson Tubes, you can't be too mad at them.

NYC subway is a far bigger target and they have numerous trash cans across the system. For a small system like PATH, a few trash bins [see thru ones] shouldn't be that big a deal. That or they don't want to pay someone to take out the garbage?

Sorry, but terror threat is not a valid excuse.

For what? When eating isnt even allowed in their system.:o

What about newspapers?

When the candybar wrapper ends up just thrown about on the ground (which, if you've ever ridden the NYC subway, you'll know that it usually does), you have to ask: is it worth it?

We hear about rats on station platforms in the subway all the time (hell, every so often they just jump aboard on the train!) but how often do we hear about rats invading PATH stations? I'm not saying that the rat population isn't there but I bet you it's a lot smaller than it is on a per-station basis than the subway.

Does the Path stay open 24/7? I mean if the subway system could close down like 3 hours a day, they can really clean up some of these stations. Plus for a small system like the PATH, it's much easier to enforce such rules compared to NYC. Maybe what the MTA needs is their own police force and not merged with the NYPD.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... ok I'm done.... it's just funny seeing people *cough cough* throw out assertments and not bother to back them up... and my personal response?

PATH can take all their Nazi-like rules and SHOVE IT up Hitler's dead ass. And just because now there are camera's on the PA-5's won't deter me from taking railfan videos next time I'm on the system... so SUCK ON THAT...PATH Management =P

Damn, they have cameras on the PA5? **** path then. Why are they so damn paranoid about photography on their system? The biggest 'target' was the WTC site and maybe Newark Penn station, but other than that, it's not anything special compared to any other rail system.

I'm not going to give details, but, the PATH system runs along side a major rail yard, a major rail route, carries massive numbers of people often from other countries to ad from NY and NJ 24/7/365. The air lines, electrical feed lines, station power feed lines, communication lines all run in the tunnel with the train inches away from the speeding vehicles. I'd be paranoid too.

- A

NYC subway is a far bigger target and they have numerous trash cans across the system. For a small system like PATH, a few trash bins [see thru ones] shouldn't be that big a deal. That or they don't want to pay someone to take out the garbage?

What about newspapers?

Thats a good question.Can anyone elaborate on the use of nerwspaper use on path?

Does the Path stay open 24/7? I mean if the subway system could close down like 3 hours a day, they can really clean up some of these stations. Plus for a small system like the PATH, it's much easier to enforce such rules compared to NYC. Maybe what the MTA needs is their own police force and not merged with the NYPD.
Yes, PATH runs service 24/7, with 30-35 minute headways on the overnights.

And the MTA has their own police force (they mainly hang around the railroads though). Never seen those guys before?

Damn, they have cameras on the PA5? **** path then. Why are they so damn paranoid about photography on their system? The biggest 'target' was the WTC site and maybe Newark Penn station, but other than that, it's not anything special compared to any other rail system.
Enforcing their photography rules is NOT the reason PATH has cameras on the PA-5s. The cameras are there to record the on goings on the trains, and if there's a crime or something or that affect, they can go back and review the video that the camera recorded. They can't even get a live feed.

PATH is a very very critical system for NJ/NY interstate travel, if anything such as an attack happens anywhere in the system, there is going to be a serious problem. There is not much room that PATH can work with compared to the NYC Subway which can just move their subway lines somewhere else. Yes the NYC Subway is a major target, but PATH is that much more of a target to attacks because of the damage that can be done.

Not trying to sounded bias here because I ride the PATH on a daily basis, but fact of the matter is, it is what it is. PATH goes down and hundreds of thousands of people are screwed. The entire NYC Subway goes down then holy shit, that's a severe problem. But sorry, I'll be more worried if something happens to PATH than the NYC Subway.

Thats a good question.Can anyone elaborate on the use of nerwspaper use on path?

Read the paper and take it with you when you leave the train to dispose if you're finished, that simple.

PATH isn't worth the $1.75 :P
It's worth every penny. And good rides to boot. That's ok, more room for me.

Yes, PATH runs service 24/7, with 30-35 minute headways on the overnights.

And the MTA has their own police force (they mainly hang around the railroads though). Never seen those guys before?

Enforcing their photography rules is NOT the reason PATH has cameras on the PA-5s. The cameras are there to record the on goings on the trains, and if there's a crime or something or that affect, they can go back and review the video that the camera recorded. They can't even get a live feed.

PATH is a very very critical system for NJ/NY interstate travel, if anything such as an attack happens anywhere in the system, there is going to be a serious problem. There is not much room that PATH can work with compared to the NYC Subway which can just move their subway lines somewhere else. Yes the NYC Subway is a major target, but PATH is that much more of a target to attacks because of the damage that can be done.

Not trying to sounded bias here because I ride the PATH on a daily basis, but fact of the matter is, it is what it is. PATH goes down and hundreds of thousands of people are screwed. The entire NYC Subway goes down then holy shit, that's a severe problem. But sorry, I'll be more worried if something happens to PATH than the NYC Subway.

Read the paper and take it with you when you leave the train to dispose if you're finished, that simple.

It's worth every penny. And good rides to boot. That's ok, more room for me.

Great post! I frequent PATH now when I come back home on my days off. NEC to Newark. I dont have a problem with PATH, i think its cool. I never use to ride because of the photography rules, but one day I said to hell with it and I took a ride on it. And at alot of there stations you can easily get decent pics on. Harrison I see is one of the easiest spots to do so if you ask me. I snapped some pics there and no one said a word. PATH is very clean, but the reason being is that its much smaller and easier to maintain.

Anyone that has walked through the WTC station on PATH during rush hour and seen all those people. Could you imagine what happened if something happened to PATH(9/11, but if something on that scale happened again). NJT could not handel all of those people. At that point you begin to realize how much PATH is needed. PATH and PATCO are alike and both run there system very well. If something happens to PATCO then NJTs 403 could not deal with it. PATCO is 45mins end to end or quicker and the 403 is about 1hr and 30min. Just as P said if something happens in nycs they can easliy re-route without a problem. PATH where in the blue hell would you re-route the WTC route...PATH has its rules and people still ride...deal with it

That message was made to piss someone off :P

Ah, gotcha. Carry on.

Great post! I frequent PATH now when I come back home on my days off. NEC to Newark. I dont have a problem with PATH, i think its cool. I never use to ride because of the photography rules, but one day I said to hell with it and I took a ride on it. And at alot of there stations you can easily get decent pics on. Harrison I see is one of the easiest spots to do so if you ask me. I snapped some pics there and no one said a word. PATH is very clean, but the reason being is that its much smaller and easier to maintain.

Anyone that has walked through the WTC station on PATH during rush hour and seen all those people. Could you imagine what happened if something happened to PATH(9/11, but if something on that scale happened again). NJT could not handel all of those people. At that point you begin to realize how much PATH is needed. PATH and PATCO are alike and both run there system very well. If something happens to PATCO then NJTs 403 could not deal with it. PATCO is 45mins end to end or quicker and the 403 is about 1hr and 30min. Just as P said if something happens in nycs they can easliy re-route without a problem. PATH where in the blue hell would you re-route the WTC route...PATH has its rules and people still ride...deal with it

Thank you!

Yeah the photography ban sucks, but you know they've had that in place long before 9/11, they're just more strict about it now because of the attacks that day.

But I'm not going to say screw PATH and not ride it because I can't take pictures (even though you can sneak some in as you said), you can get some good rides on the PATH, I enjoy riding it everyday.

We forget that the PATH is owned by the Port Authority. I mean, if you look at what else they own (World Trade Center/Ground Zero, JFK, EWR, LGA), it kind of makes sense. They enforce pretty much same rules as the London Underground on a much smaller level. The food rule is to appease NJ Transit riders who normally crowd the Newark-WTC line during rush hours.

As much as I love the subway, the PATH sure has hell takes into account the suggestions of their passengers. For example, weekend late-nighters like myself are used to 15-minute headways on Saturday nights until about 3:15 in the morning. Let me know when the MTA does something like that.

Yea but they allow photography in Road Tunnels and NJT and the MTA don't ban it. If the rule was challenged in court i think we would win , Freedom of Speech cannot be suppressed or charged for ie in permits. I think a few Transit agencies have found that out the hard way.

We forget that the PATH is owned by the Port Authority. I mean, if you look at what else they own (World Trade Center/Ground Zero, JFK, EWR, LGA), it kind of makes sense. They enforce pretty much same rules as the London Underground on a much smaller level. The food rule is to appease NJ Transit riders who normally crowd the Newark-WTC line during rush hours.

As much as I love the subway, the PATH sure has hell takes into account the suggestions of their passengers. For example, weekend late-nighters like myself are used to 15-minute headways on Saturday nights until about 3:15 in the morning. Let me know when the MTA does something like that.

Well given how small the Path system is, I don't think you need to worry about the amount of bureaucracy as with the MTA. The MTA, a simple suggestion can take months/years to get done.

@Pablo, I'm not saying I won't ride Path because of the ban, I did fan the entire system once and did like the rides. But the photo ban still blows turds big time. That's what I despise about Path. Their Pa1-4s are nice rfw wise. It's gonna suck when only PA5s are running.

About the newspaper thing, sure it's easy to expect ppl to clean up after themselves, but do they really? As long as those rags AM NY and Metro are still around, it's only going to add to the trash problem.

Their Pa1-4s are nice rfw wise. It's gonna suck when only PA5s are running..

The plan (as far as i've been told by PA employees) is to have the PA-4's run, possibly in reduced numbers or not, till 2020 or so, to get the full life out of them The PA1's (baby blue body shells) were built in the 60's and are still running (45 years old), i'm pretty sure PA wants to get their money's worth, even if they are only used to substitute when cars are taken out for inspection and work.

If the option order is given the green light the PA-4's will phase out in line with PA-5 delivery, train per train vs car per car. The expansion of the yard in harrison might buy some time for the PA-4's as well, but that remains to be completed.

- A

The plan (as far as i've been told by PA employees) is to have the PA-4's run, possibly in reduced numbers or not, till 2020 or so, to get the full life out of them The PA1's (baby blue body shells) were built in the 60's and are still running (45 years old), i'm pretty sure PA wants to get their money's worth, even if they are only used to substitute when cars are taken out for inspection and work.

If the option order is given the green light the PA-4's will phase out in line with PA-5 delivery, train per train vs car per car. The expansion of the yard in harrison might buy some time for the PA-4's as well, but that remains to be completed.

- A

The PA-4s have never been rehabbed and they can't keep running in service til 2020 without some kind of work done to them to last longer. Now, PATH wants to push out all the PA 1-4 cars by the end of next year and also, PA-4s can't run in service into 2020 because PATH wants to have CBTC up and operational by 2017 (of course that could fall behind schedule though). PATH is going to keep the best of the PA-4s for work service and thats it.

Archived