Express Bus Service 24 hrs - Staten Island

Via Garibaldi 8

Not too long ago there was talk of running the X1 24 hours a day. Seeing the dismal service on the South Shore in general, the lack of options aside from the ferry for some during the late night and the elimination of 3 or more connections, the X1 should be run 24 hours a day and the X10 should also be extended. I have noticed increased service on the X10 with 20 minute headways even at 11am, so the demand is there. Why is the MTA so resistent to giving Staten Islanders a quicker commute during late hours?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too long ago there was talk of running the X1 24 hours a day. Seeing the dismal service on the South Shore in general, the lack of options aside from the ferry for some during the late night and the elimination of 3 or more connections, the X1 should be run 24 hours a day and the X10 should also be extended. I have noticed increased service on the X10 with 20 minute headways even at 11am, so the demand is there. Why is the MTA so resistent to giving Staten Islanders a quicker commute during late hours?

A 24 hour service on the X1 would be a used route, BUT in the climate of bus cuts in all five boroughs, I do not believe that can happen at this point. I would wonder though, if Atlantic Express could offer hawk X1 service when the MTA isn't, or if that is a breach of law. It's not competing with an MTA service if there is none. But from the MTA, not much is going to be added to service until the budget is balanced with help from Albany.

Over the summer, I caught the last X1 around 2am and had to stand on the ride to Staten Island.

Its all about funding but i think since the demand has bee there its probably close to happening in some form

Actually Garibaldi right before the current fiscal crisis in late 2007, former (MTA) Boss Lee "Eliot' Sandler had proposed a major service expansion on bus and subway lines systemwide and I think 24/7 service on the (R) line for the full route between Brooklyn/Manhattan and Queens along with 'owl' X1 and S79 was proposed.

I think when the recession ends, I think the X1 will get 24/7 service including hourly-90 minute overnight service appx. 1-5am.

Also the only other express route that should also get 24/7 service is the BXM7 COOP City-Midtown line as well.

Actually Garibaldi right before the current fiscal crisis in late 2007, former (MTA) Boss Lee "Eliot' Sandler had proposed a major service expansion on bus and subway lines systemwide and I think 24/7 service on the (R) line for the full route between Brooklyn/Manhattan and Queens along with 'owl' X1 and S79 was proposed.

I think when the recession ends, I think the X1 will get 24/7 service including hourly-90 minute overnight service appx. 1-5am.

Also the only other express route that should also get 24/7 service is the BXM7 COOP City-Midtown line as well.

Yeah, and if the X1 gets it then it needs to be put on the X10 as well, which also is packed at 01:30 in the morning. With Charleston opening soon there is no excuse not to expand express bus service on Staten Island. It has been long overdue.

I say run BOTH the x1 & x10 24/7/365.

I say run BOTH the x1 & x10 24/7/365.

When the fiscal crisis ends, in next service expansion I am sure the X1 and the S79 will become 24/7 lines. Not sure about the X10 though.

Plus the (MTA)if and when providing Overnight X1 service may add that the X1 connects with transfers to many of the North Shore Buses in SI, along the line. Plus with SBS planned for the S78/79, it would make sense to have 30-minute overnight Hylan service (Hourly headways each for S78 and 79)as well.

When the fiscal crisis ends, in next service expansion I am sure the X1 and the S79 will become 24/7 lines. Not sure about the X10 though.

Plus the (MTA)if and when providing Overnight X1 service may add that the X1 connects with transfers to many of the North Shore Buses in SI, along the line. Plus with SBS planned for the S78/79, it would make sense to have 30-minute overnight Hylan service (Hourly headways each for S78 and 79)as well.

That would seem like favoritism to me. Maybe the MTA can make the argument also that the South Shore has less transit options, but depending on where you are on the North Shore, the commute can be just about as long as if you were on the South Shore and transferring to a local bus just about anywhere on Staten Island with the exception of maybe the S53 is a long long wait, so if the South Shore can get the X1 24/7, the North Shore should have the X10 24/7 as a principal of providing necessary network coverage. Try taking the last X10 at 01:30 in the morning during the weeknight and you'll see it's very similar to the last X1 at 02:00am... Crowded. They have bumped up service on the X10 on Sundays to 20 minutes in some cases because of crowding, so that's a sign that even in these economic times that the line is getting more ridership.

That would seem like favoritism to me. Maybe the MTA can make the argument also that the South Shore has less transit options, but depending on where you are on the North Shore, the commute can be just about as long as if you were on the South Shore and transferring to a local bus just about anywhere on Staten Island with the exception of maybe the S53 is a long long wait, so if the South Shore can get the X1 24/7, the North Shore should have the X10 24/7 as a principal of providing necessary network coverage. Try taking the last X10 at 01:30 in the morning during the weeknight and you'll see it's very similar to the last X1 at 02:00am... Crowded. They have bumped up service on the X10 on Sundays to 20 minutes in some cases because of crowding, so that's a sign that even in these economic times that the line is getting more ridership.

Good points.

Garibaldi, you make good points. However this is the New York (MTA) where logic rarely exists. I was making point that if and when 24/7 express bus started IMO probably only the X1 would get it to start.

One points that they would make against overnight X10 ( I am not endorsing it)the North Shore already has 30-40 minute overnight S53 service and are much closer to the ferry and would make excuse on that basis to have only '1' overnight Manhattan express bus service. Plus most important the $$$ issue. That my take.

Garibaldi, you make good points. However this is the New York (MTA) where logic rarely exists. I was making point that if and when 24/7 express bus started IMO probably only the X1 would get it to start.

One points that they would make against overnight X10 ( I am not endorsing it)the North Shore already has 30-40 minute overnight S53 service and are much closer to the ferry and would make excuse on that basis to have only '1' overnight Manhattan express bus service. Plus most important the $$$ issue. That my take.

No, I agree with you because that's exactly what they would say, but the problem is what about areas on the North West Shore of Staten Island like Bulls Head, Westerleigh, etc. that are served by the X10. Those areas are not at all close to the ferry hence why most people use the express bus in those areas. I would argue that if South Shore riders can have an express bus without any transfers needed that the North Shore should as well because in the end Staten Islanders as a whole have the longest commute in the entire nation.

Part of the reason why the North Shore can have commute times just as long as the South Shore is because the South Shore has the SIR. It takes about 30 minutes to get from St. George to Huguenot, about 11 miles away, yet is takes the same amount of time for me to get to my neighborhood, which is only 5 miles away.

Part of the reason why the North Shore can have commute times just as long as the South Shore is because the South Shore has the SIR. It takes about 30 minutes to get from St. George to Huguenot, about 11 miles away, yet is takes the same amount of time for me to get to my neighborhood, which is only 5 miles away.

Good point and that's why the X10 should run 24/7 with the X1.

In Queens, they cut some runs on the X63,64, and 68. It seems like X63 ridership took a nosedive. Perhaps it's due to the bad economy. I hope ridership recovers because it'll be a sad day if there is no express bus service in Southeast Queens.

I just hope the MTA is screwing with these lines to kill them like they did on the X16. The areas you're talking about really do need express bus service because there isn't much else that can get them around quickly.

I just hope the MTA is screwing with these lines to kill them like they did on the X16.

The areas you're talking about really do need express bus service because there isn't much else that can get them around quickly.

Your first sentence & your 2nd sentence are saying two totally different things....

---------------------------

Anyway....

I'm going to go out on a limb & say we need LESS express bus service overall, here in Brooklyn... I've been taking the things for a lil while now, and I see no evidence in an increase of passengers, or, really, much of a yearning for them....

In other words:

- a person from Canarsie won't be devastated if the BM2 were gone....

- as opposed to, say, the removal of the x22 out in the south shore... or the x6_ out there in SE Queens (you'd think those routes would be far more heavily used than what they are)...

and in regards to my original statement, it aint no express bus hatin goin on here....

As for staten island having 24 hr express bus service, yeah, the consensus is to have them on the x1, x10, x17... etc.... I can agree to that... I mean hell, the express bus is equivalent to the subway for y'all...

Your first sentence & your 2nd sentence are saying two totally different things....

---------------------------

Anyway....

I'm going to go out on a limb & say we need LESS express bus service overall, here in Brooklyn... I've been taking the things for a lil while now, and I see no evidence in an increase of passengers, or, really, much of a yearning for them....

In other words:

- a person from Canarsie won't be devastated if the BM2 were gone....

- as opposed to, say, the removal of the x22 out in the south shore... or the x6_ out there in SE Queens (you'd think those routes would be far more heavily used than what they are)...

and in regards to my original statement, it aint no express bus hatin goin on here....

As for staten island having 24 hr express bus service, yeah, the consensus is to have them on the x1, x10, x17... etc.... I can agree to that... I mean hell, the express bus is equivalent to the subway for y'all...

Like your buddies said in the B/O post, cut me some slack... I was typing fast hence the typo... As far as express bus service goes in Brooklyn, the whole purpose of them is to serve more suburban areas in Southern parts of Brooklyn with no train service or areas where the train is a decent ways away. They're good in that they save on having to transfer and provide a safe, clean and relatively quick commute, especially for the elderly. The city pays for those BM lines to run, and quite frankly the BM3, which I use is far quicker than the B/Q line these days with all of the construction. While the ridership isn't through the roof, they do get some usage during certain parts of the day and can help ease some of the crowding on the subways. I say keep em.

That's why he said overall. By that, he meant that there are some express routes that aren't well-used during certain parts of the day.

Part of the reason why some express buses aren't well-used is because people don't know about them. For example, when I lived in Brighton Beach, I had no idea that the X29 (or BM3, which was much further away) ran-I thought that the subway was the only way to get to Manhattan.

Not that I would've used them, though-my family didn't see the point of paying twice as much for half the frequency. The point is that I'm sure there are people who live near express lines that they don't even know about.

That's why he said overall. By that, he meant that there are some express routes that aren't well-used during certain parts of the day.

Part of the reason why some express buses aren't well-used is because people don't know about them. For example, when I lived in Brighton Beach, I had no idea that the X29 (or BM3, which was much further away) ran-I thought that the subway was the only way to get to Manhattan.

Not that I would've used them, though-my family didn't see the point of paying twice as much for half the frequency. The point is that I'm sure there are people who live near express lines that they don't even know about.

That's definitely the case. I grew up in Sheepshead Bay and I sure as heck didn't know about the BM3 or the X29 until I started taking the express bus in Staten Island. I've never been wild about the subway, so once I found out about the BM3, I never looked back. I don't mind that the express bus doesn't get a lot of attention because it keeps things nice and quiet. No riff raff.

I guess the average person doesn't know much about lines that they don't use.

For example, I only knew about the B1, B4, B36, B49, and B68 bus lines because they were the only ones that I passed by). I didn't really travel by bus-for me, the subway was THE way to travel (I even took it for trips that would've been better by bus, such as Brighton Beach-Bay Ridge)

The only reason I found out about the X29 was because I was waiting with my mother for the B68 on Coney Island Avenue and I saw a different type of bus. I asked if we could take that home, but my mother said we couldn't because they charged more)

The only other route I knew about was the B67 because I went to Park Slope many times and saw it along 7th Avenue.

For example, I only knew about the B1, B4, B36, B49, and B68 bus lines because they were the only ones that I passed by). I didn't really travel by bus-for me, the subway was THE way to travel (I even took it for trips that would've been better by bus, such as Brighton Beach-Bay Ridge)

The only reason I found out about the X29 was because I was waiting with my mother for the B68 on Coney Island Avenue and I saw a different type of bus. I asked if we could take that home, but my mother said we couldn't because they charged more)

The only other route I knew about was the B67 because I went to Park Slope many times and saw it along 7th Avenue.

With the newer express buses they stand out more and are more visible, so people know about them but can't afford them. What I do find funny though is the sense of jealousy with the local bus riders. I see how they act when express bus riders get off... Like they've seen a ghost or something. lol

haha.. lines they don't use...

I'll one up ya w/ that & say that the average person barely knows their own route, outside of the confines with which they travel between..... for example, you ask most B35 riders where McDonald av is, and you'll get looked at like you're stupid....

yeh, growing up though, the only two routes I knew of, was that B35 (was, and still is, my home route) & that B67 (to visit my father in park slope every weekend)...

oh how times have changed... I would have loved to hear my dad's rant about the B69 moving to 7th av... he had a term for that bus, which I won't say on here b/c it may offend some people....

Come to think about it, that statement even applied to me. Since I didn't travel by bus often, I only knew about the portion of the route closest to Brighton Beach (for example, if you asked me if the B68 stopped at Coney Island Avenue/Church Avenue, I'd give you a blank stare)

I was only 8 years old back then, but that gives you an idea of the mindset of the average bus rider.

The X29 sucked when it was around. Coney Island Avenue is full of traffic lights so it never really gains any momentum.

As for the X63, a few years ago nearly every seat would be filled on buses heading to Manhattan in the morning. Now I see half empty buses. Before the June service cuts, it ran every 6 to 8 minutes in the morning. Now it's every 10 to 12 minutes. I'm really concerned about this route.

Archived