Express Bus Service 24 hrs - Staten Island

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S40-ferry-subway: 1 hour, 36 mintues, which is not the exact same time as if you'd walked from that spot to the X10.

The S40 is scheduled to not meet any ferries most of the day, so i fixed that up a bit. The X10 skips most stops along it's way so it's usually 45 minutes at most if your going to only Fulton & Church.

The S40 is scheduled to not meet any ferries most of the day, so i fixed that up a bit. The X10 skips most stops along it's way so it's usually 45 minutes at most if your going to only Fulton & Church.

Now if we could only get a few more Staten Islanders on that damn MTA board maybe they'd start making more moves that made sense for Staten Island.

Excuse my French but what in the hell do you know about Staten Island?

Correction:

No one has to know anything about Staten Island. Maybe that why bus service sucks there.

I used to date a girl that lived in SI. Staten Island doesnt need 24/7 service except for a few routes.

Untill that happens, deal with it. Its not the end of the world.

Correction:

No one has to know anything about Staten Island. Maybe that why bus service sucks there.

I used to date a girl that lived in SI. Staten Island doesnt need 24/7 service except for a few routes.

Truth, plus SI should route more of their buses thru Jersey [mainly any lines that are midtown only].

=

Non-serious rant [don't get 'offended']: G*d damn all of them buses coming thru Brooklyn dumping their pollution in the borough just to pass thru. They should let the boats take the buses directly to Manhattan. ;)

I know quite alot about alot. I don't just spend my time sitting in front of a computer complaing to people who can't do a blessed thing about problems that may or may not exist. I don't live and breath timetables and rosters like some people. I spread myself out, I work to excel in everything I learn. And one of those things, mr Via Garibaldi, is reading the behavior patters of others. I can draw a complete picture of someone's personality just by how they type.

And all I see coming from you is ego. You think the rest of us don't have problems? You also seem to have a very narrow viewpoint of the world. You don't care what happens so long as you get what you want for Staten Island, and don't give that line about supporting transit all over. You made your opinions quite clear when you accused LI Bus of "stealing" funding you claim is "yours". You post about swinging the MTA board membership to SI, which can't happen anyway, only reinforced that.

#1. Don't worry about me and my rants on here... I am very active in pressing my local representatives and others to get more for Staten Island and I have no problem hiding or saying it because as I told B 35, everyone has sympathy for everyone else BUT Staten Island. Anytime we ask for something, we're either spoiled or egotistical. The fact is we're smaller than the other boroughs and on an isolated island, meaning that it is easy to overlook us and most people that speak about what we need or don't need don't frequent the island enough to really know what they're talking about.

#2. Regarding my MTA board membership comment, yeah God forbid that happened where we had a few Staten Islanders who truly know the problems that we face and don't make decisions on our transit based on stupid timetables and other nonsense without traveling to the island and seeing for themselves.

#3. Very interesting how concerned everyone was for Long Island... I wonder how concerned people would be if it was Staten Island in that situation. I doubt they'd be that concerned, but it's Long Island, so of course everyone is concerned.

I don't care about ruffling feathers. I tell it just the way I see it. Coming from Brooklyn originally it is clear to me that Staten Island is much more lacking in transit than the other boroughs and that shouldn't be and I don't think that it's so much about us being suburban as it is the stigma that people have about us, including the MTA, that we're on a shitty island and that we should get the bare minimum, NOTHING more.

Correction:

No, bus service sucks because we have people like you in the MTA... Typical statement.

#1. Don't worry about me and my rants on here... I am very active in pressing my local representatives and others to get more for Staten Island and I have no problem hiding or saying it because as I told B 35, everyone has sympathy for everyone else BUT Staten Island. Anytime we ask for something, we're either spoiled or egotistical. The fact is we're smaller than the other boroughs and on an isolated island, meaning that it is easy to overlook us and most people that speak about what we need or don't need don't frequent the island enough to really know what they're talking about.

#2. Regarding my MTA board membership comment, yeah God forbid that happened where we had a few Staten Islanders who truly know the problems that we face and don't make decisions on our transit based on stupid timetables and other nonsense without traveling to the island and seeing for themselves.

#3. Very interesting how concerned everyone was for Long Island... I wonder how concerned people would be if it was Staten Island in that situation. I doubt they'd be that concerned, but it's Long Island, so of course everyone is concerned.

I don't care about ruffling feathers. I tell it just the way I see it. Coming from Brooklyn originally it is clear to me that Staten Island is much more lacking in transit than the other boroughs and that shouldn't be and I don't think that it's so much about us being suburban as it is the stigma that people have about us, including the MTA, that we're on a shitty island and that we should get the bare minimum, NOTHING more.

That's not true. We opened up a whole thread regarding ideas for Staten Island Bus service that lasted for over 18 pages, filled with good ideas from members both from Staten Island and from the other boroughs.

Statistically, the reason why we have the least service is because we use our service less than the other boroughs. Queens has the second most expensive routes (overall) in the city, and yet they cost 42% less per passenger than our routes.

Like I said, people from the other boroughs care don't favor Long Island over Staten Island. I guarentee that if bus service on SI was facing the same dillema as LI Bus is, people on these boards would be even more upset than they are for LI Bus.

That's not true. We opened up a whole thread regarding ideas for Staten Island Bus service that lasted for over 18 pages, filled with good ideas from members both from Staten Island and from the other boroughs.

Statistically, the reason why we have the least service is because we use our service less than the other boroughs. Queens has the second most expensive routes (overall) in the city, and yet they cost 42% less per passenger than our routes.

Like I said, people from the other boroughs care don't favor Long Island over Staten Island. I guarentee that if bus service on SI was facing the same dillema as LI Bus is, people on these boards would be even more upset than they are for LI Bus.

I'm sure you're aware that we have more express routes than local routes, so of course our routes are more expensive. Since you have all of the stats, tell me this... Which borough has the highest wait times between buses? I would have a hard time believing that Staten Island wouldn't be #1. Most local lines are scheduled every 30 minutes and quite frankly, in some instances you're better off walking than waiting because that's just how infrequent and irractic service can be on Staten Island.

But the other boroughs have better access to the subway, so the subway siphons riders that would otherwise go to the local bus system, the same way express buses do.

And as far as my stats go, I was only taking local buses into consideration. They have a farebox recovery ratio of roughly 50%, which is about the same as the express routes on SI.

I think the general concensus here about LI bus was for Nassau to pay up what it owed to the MTA or to desolve allowing the routes to be taken over by private companies. So not sure where you got the idea 'we' care more about LI Bus over SI.

And to be frank about it: You know SI is devoid of decent transit options, wouldn't staying in Brooklyn or Queens be a better idea than to go to SI? I mean if the MTA were to raise the fares [on SI express buses] to cover for extra service for SI, would you be in favor of that? just asking.

I'm sure you're aware that we have more express routes than local routes, so of course our routes are more expensive. Since you have all of the stats, tell me this... Which borough has the highest wait times between buses? I would have a hard time believing that Staten Island wouldn't be #1. Most local lines are scheduled every 30 minutes and quite frankly, in some instances you're better off walking than waiting because that's just how infrequent and irractic service can be on Staten Island.

That's actually false; SI has 20 express routes and 30 local routes (yes I included the Limiteds as they charge the same fare as local buses do)

:(

That's actually false; SI has 20 express routes and 30 local routes (yes I included the Limiteds as they charge the same fare as local buses do)

Technically you're right... I haven't really counted since the eliminated express bus routes (X7, X13, X16, X18, X20) and I don't really call the limited stop buses, "express service" in my book, but okay... :(

I think the general concensus here about LI bus was for Nassau to pay up what it owed to the MTA or to desolve allowing the routes to be taken over by private companies. So not sure where you got the idea 'we' care more about LI Bus over SI.

And to be frank about it: You know SI is devoid of decent transit options, wouldn't staying in Brooklyn or Queens be a better idea than to go to SI? I mean if the MTA were to raise the fares [on SI express buses] to cover for extra service for SI, would you be in favor of that? just asking.

I've been through two express bus fare increases and will be facing another one soon and I don't have a problem paying more. However, I do expect better service for fare increases. I have to say of late that service has been good. Of course coming home, the X14/X30 are always late, but both drivers are excellent in getting back on time by the time we get to Staten Island. I just want to see later service for the North Shore routes in particular. Having the last bus at 06:20pm just doesn't cut it when the South Shore has service well past 07:30 on some "rush hour only" lines.

P.S. Aside from the transit issues, I have no problem living on Staten Island. I live in a quiet area. We have the lowest crime rates out of the entire city and some really nice unique areas. We just need the transit to match it.

No, bus service sucks because we have people like you in the MTA... Typical statement.

L0l. Too bad I dont work for the MTA.

Just as I said before, dont complain to us. Complain to the MTA. We dont have time to hear your daily rants on the MTA. Be lucky you even have bus service. Some states will be lucky to have SI's kinda bus service.

L0l. Too bad I dont work for the MTA.

Just as I said before, dont complain to us. Complain to the MTA. We dont have time to hear your daily rants on the MTA. Be lucky you even have bus service. Some states will be lucky to have SI's kinda bus service.

No one is forcing you to hear anything and actually I wasn't even talking to you. If you don't care for my posts then don't reply to them. Simple as that.

I've been through two express bus fare increases and will be facing another one soon and I don't have a problem paying more. However, I do expect better service for fare increases. I have to say of late that service has been good. Of course coming home, the X14/X30 are always late, but both drivers are excellent in getting back on time by the time we get to Staten Island. I just want to see later service for the North Shore routes in particular. Having the last bus at 06:20pm just doesn't cut it when the South Shore has service well past 07:30 on some "rush hour only" lines.

P.S. Aside from the transit issues, I have no problem living on Staten Island. I live in a quiet area. We have the lowest crime rates out of the entire city and some really nice unique areas. We just need the transit to match it.

Technically, the X12 is a North Shore bus line and it has service until 7:50 PM.

Ok, I see your points. But concidering getting off SI is easier going to Jersey vs Manhattan via a boat or Brooklyn via the Bridge... the geography of the island is not in your favor. Basically there's only so many buses they can run over the Verrazano before all traffic is clogged up.

Realistically if certain bus routes have like 60% or less capacity, that route should stand to lose a run or more to get all buses closer to 80%. I mean there are such routes like the X1, X17, etc. that could use those extra buses. [Put buses on lines where they are more needed.]

I'm not anti-express bus, but I do think that for the costs to run those express buses, they should be more heavily used to justify their existance. [use them or lose them.]

Ok, I see your points. But concidering getting off SI is easier going to Jersey vs Manhattan via a boat or Brooklyn via the Bridge... the geography of the island is not in your favor. Basically there's only so many buses they can run over the Verrazano before all traffic is clogged up.

Realistically if certain bus routes have like 60% capacity, that route could stand to lose a run to get all buses closer to 80%. I mean there are such routes like the X1, X17, etc. that could use those extra buses.

I'm not anti-express bus, but I do think that for the costs to run those express buses, they should be more heavily used to justify their existance.

In many cases if they cut a bus it would mean standing room only and those buses aren't meant to have standing passengers. I believe there's some legal issues involved, so the MTA makes a point where possible not to have that happen.

I know quite alot about alot. I don't just spend my time sitting in front of a computer complaing to people who can't do a blessed thing about problems that may or may not exist. I don't live and breath timetables and rosters like some people. I spread myself out, I work to excel in everything I learn. And one of those things, mr Via Garibaldi, is reading the behavior patters of others. I can draw a complete picture of someone's personality just by how they type.

And all I see coming from you is ego. You think the rest of us don't have problems? You also seem to have a very narrow viewpoint of the world. You don't care what happens so long as you get what you want for Staten Island, and don't give that line about supporting transit all over. You made your opinions quite clear when you accused LI Bus of "stealing" funding you claim is "yours". You post about swinging the MTA board membership to SI, which can't happen anyway, only reinforced that.

Don't know if you saw my post a while back pointing that out, but this dude is all about SI... that much is plain as day, whether people here that have laid eyes on the majority of his posts, want to come out & say it or not......

Let him continue to play the victim role....

He chose the wrong forum to come to, talkin bout no one has sympathy for SI... what Garibaldi is doing is simply ADDING to the previous discussions we have here about the borough... He's convinced himself that he's gonna come here spewing this ole justin timberlake, cry me a river, where's the love for SI nonsense.... It isn't accomplishing much of anything but annoying the outsiders AND the SI-ers that are on this forum....

matter fact, outside of SILive (obvious), I don't know of another forum that talks about bus service on SI in, any manner, but especially in a POSITIVE light as much as we do here on NYCTF.... you'd think someone with his deep concern about SI would be a little appreciative of that, instead of sittin here bi**hing most the god damned time.....

Archived