Express Bus Service 24 hrs - Staten Island

Via Garibaldi 8

In many cases if they cut a bus it would mean standing room only and those buses aren't meant to have standing passengers. I believe there's some legal issues involved, so the MTA makes a point where possible not to have that happen.

From what I've read here, the X1 is already standing room only. Shouldn't it get a few extra buses? This is the same MTA you were critical about over lack of services for certain routes. I do think more eyes on the ground than those from behind a desk upstate is what's needed to make a better observation over what line needs the buses more.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I've read hear the X1 is already standing room only. Shouldn't it get a few extra buses? This is the same MTA you were critical about over lack of services for certain routes. I do think more eyes on the ground than those from behind a desk upstate is what's needed to make a better observation over what line needs the buses more.

There is generally enough service, although yes more buses could be added in certain spots. The problem with the line especially on the weekends is if a group of people from one neighborhood decided to all take the X1 and it's 20 of them, those sorts of spikes can lead to standing room only. Another problem was that the X1 had spacing problems, partially caused by everyone taking it even when there were other options because it runs so frequently. I think the MTA tried to lower its usage during rush hours to force riders to use alternate routes. It runs every 5 minutes during some parts of the morning rush and when I decide to come in later I will opt for the X1 over the X10 or X12 because the dispatcher is right there at my stop and there are always seats available when I get on, though it quickly fills up before we reach the bridge, but still a few open sits remain.

From what I've read here, the X1 is already standing room only. Shouldn't it get a few extra buses? This is the same MTA you were critical about over lack of services for certain routes. I do think more eyes on the ground than those from behind a desk upstate is what's needed to make a better observation over what line needs the buses more.

Instead of getting extra buses, the MTA went the cheap route & cut service to 23rd.... there are still x1's that are SRO; just saw two of them just a few hrs ago, waiting for the BM2 over by battery pl.... 17c's fall in this same category after the rush hour....

with the x1 alteration the MTA decided to go with... yeah, as dude said, it's an attempt to divvy up people onto other express routes....

Instead of getting extra buses, the MTA went the cheap route & cut service to 23rd.... there are still x1's that are SRO; just saw two of them just a few hrs ago, waiting for the BM2 over by battery pl.... 17c's fall in this same category after the rush hour....

with the x1 alteration the MTA decided to go with... yeah, as dude said, it's an attempt to divvy up people onto other express routes....

Reason being is that Staten Islanders who use the line never thought that the MTA would dare mess with the busiest express bus line in the city, but after thinking about it, they're trying to stop an avalanche. Don't be surprised if that bus starts running ever 2-3 minutes, which sounds insane, but even with the cut back and the recession, the line is still quite busy. Hopefully they'll be able to keep up with the demand because South Shore residents can afford the express bus and prefer not to take the subway, so it will see usage all the way to Central Park South.

They were probably late too. Since they run every 5 minutes even during 9pm, it's easy for them to become crowded. Speaking of the BM2, seems like you guys are getting all of the shitty older MCIs... I guess they're better than the Orions. I hated seeing those Orions on the BM3. Those buses have no leg room and the seats were so uncomfortable, not to mention all of the cold air that rushed in during the winter when we were on the expressway. I'm sure they still have a few of them in storage, but they should just scrap them already. They're also terribly slow too.

I do see their logic in cutting the X1 back to 23rd Street. The reason being that it distributes ridership better (and riders can transfer to the subway or M5/M7 buses to continue their trip).

Now, instead of X1s being crowded, as they go through all of Manhattan, they are specifically geared for people going to Lower Manhattan, and former X1 riders are supposed to take the X7 or X9 to access Midtown Manhattan (depending on which neighborhood they live in)

The only people who end up losing an direct one-seat ride are people along Richmond Avenue who need to go to Midtown (former X6 customers). To be honest, I feel that, even if there is high ridership on a corridor, there is no reason that a one-seat ride should be provided to every possible destination (East Midtown, West Midtown, Downtown) from every point on the corridor.

I mean, if you think about it, there are plenty of places where service is only offered to certain destinations. On the X22, X23, X24, X30, and X31 service is only provided to Midtown. On the X17, there is no service to Manhattan between 34th Street and Worth Street during rush hours. On the X14, a similar situation applies-no service between 23rd Street and Water Street.

The thing is that in rush hour, most services run frequently, so a transfer isn't as bad, especially in Manhattan.

They were probably late too. Since they run every 5 minutes even during 9pm, it's easy for them to become crowded. Speaking of the BM2, seems like you guys are getting all of the shitty older MCIs... I guess they're better than the Orions. I hated seeing those Orions on the BM3. Those buses have no leg room and the seats were so uncomfortable, not to mention all of the cold air that rushed in during the winter when we were on the expressway. I'm sure they still have a few of them in storage, but they should just scrap them already. They're also terribly slow too.

Most of the MCI's on the BM routes I've seen are the new 2200s or the 3100-3300s. Haven't seen that many of the 1900s. I think with the proposed new Prevost order to SI, SI should hopefully bump off their 2200s to Brooklyn and other places to retire the 1900s.

I do see their logic in cutting the X1 back to 23rd Street. The reason being that it distributes ridership better (and riders can transfer to the subway or M5/M7 buses to continue their trip).

Now, instead of X1s being crowded, as they go through all of Manhattan, they are specifically geared for people going to Lower Manhattan, and former X1 riders are supposed to take the X7 or X9 to access Midtown Manhattan (depending on which neighborhood they live in)

The only people who end up losing an direct one-seat ride are people along Richmond Avenue who need to go to Midtown (former X6 customers). To be honest, I feel that, even if there is high ridership on a corridor, there is no reason that a one-seat ride should be provided to every possible destination (East Midtown, West Midtown, Downtown) from every point on the corridor.

I mean, if you think about it, there are plenty of places where service is only offered to certain destinations. On the X22, X23, X24, X30, and X31 service is only provided to Midtown. On the X17, there is no service to Manhattan between 34th Street and Worth Street during rush hours. On the X14, a similar situation applies-no service between 23rd Street and Water Street.

The thing is that in rush hour, most services run frequently, so a transfer isn't as bad, especially in Manhattan.

The X14 makes Downtown stops along Water Street to replace the X13 and then takes the FDR to 23rd street. Prior to the X13 cuts it only served 23rs street and up. And for those who take the X17, they have the X17J for Midtown service, the X19 for Downtown service and the X17A Downtown, as well as the X17C which runs the entire route.

The bulk of the X1's ridership is south of 14 Street, particularly in the peak hours when there are faster options from Midtown to Hylan Blvd. The X1 was always empty in Midtown but by the time it passed Canal Street, all of the seats were filled. At the stop near Fulton Street, there's usually a line of 15 people.

The bulk of the X1's ridership is south of 14 Street, particularly in the peak hours when there are faster options from Midtown to Hylan Blvd. The X1 was always empty in Midtown but by the time it passed Canal Street, all of the seats were filled. At the stop near Fulton Street, there's usually a line of 15 people.

The X1s coming Downtown in the afternoon weren't packed in Midtown, but they had people on it. Coming home people don't mind the traffic because they're not in a rush. However, that was part of the problem in that the route should have been split from 57th to 23rd and then 23rd to Downtown. I had discussed the idea of having the X1 do a X27/37 type of route, but I guess the MTA tried to remedy that buy cutting rush hour service from Midtown on the X1 and having them all start at 23rd with fewer runs, while they run more X4s Downtown and more X7s in Midtown.

I do think they need to add more rush hour service though in the morning. I had to go in earlier that usual for the 9am rusg and there were hoards of people waiting at the last stop before the Verrazano. They need more X14s and X15s and X1s because with the X13, X16 and X20 gone, there aren't enough Downtown buses on the service road to meet demand.

My question is though, the MTA realized that they cut too much express bus service so now they're going to add more, but not until next year. Why are they waiting until next year to correct the problem?

Rather than to have split service [or two manhattan branches serving one SI terminal], why not have riders transfer to another bus? Like a 'hub' in some area of SI where riders wanting to go downtown or midtown would take the bus they need and thus the crowding would have to be evenly distributed? I mean even LIRR riders have to transfer to other trains the further out they go.

Rather than to have split service [or two manhattan branches serving one SI terminal], why not have riders transfer to another bus? Like a 'hub' in some area of SI where riders wanting to go downtown or midtown would take the bus they need and thus the crowding would have to be evenly distributed? I mean even LIRR riders have to transfer to other trains the further out they go.

That's why the X1 only runs to and from 23rd street during rush hours and it runs at reduced compacity to get other people to use other lines. Midtown service is provided by the X7 and X9. Downtown service has more to X3s and X4s running. Non-peak hours it does the full route.

When (MTA) fare was $5.00, I took X23 Atlantic Express at Huguenot Av/Drumgoogle Rd, last bus 8:30am and this bus had standing room only by the time it reach Arthur Kill Rd/West Shore Expressway and some people got off and wait for X24 bus.

Another time, when I was riding my friend QM24 via 3rd Branch at 5:30pm 38th St departure, his bus was also standy by the time it made last pickup point, and some people were standing as bus fight through traffic on LIE.

Where do you propose it Concourse? Maybe since he nows lives in SI, our friend Garibaldi can make some suggestions.

As a former Brooklyn resident I don't know of many places you can create a hub at least for the Spring Creek depot buses. i.e BM routes.

When (MTA) fare was $5.00, I took X23 Atlantic Express at Huguenot Av/Drumgoogle Rd, last bus 8:30am and this bus had standing room only by the time it reach Arthur Kill Rd/West Shore Expressway and some people got off and wait for X24 bus.

Another time, when I was riding my friend QM24 via 3rd Branch at 5:30pm 38th St departure, his bus was also standy by the time it made last pickup point, and some people were standing as bus fight through traffic on LIE.

The only reason I'm not squashed like a sardine coming and going is because I work off hours. I come in at 10 or later and take the last X14 or X30 in or a later X1 or X12 and do the same thing coming home, so I rarely have to sit next to anyone, but no one should have to stand in those narrow aisles for what the MTA is charging for express bus service.

Where do you propose it Concourse? Maybe since he nows lives in SI, our friend Garibaldi can make some suggestions.

As a former Brooklyn resident I don't know of many places you can create a hub at least for the Spring Creek depot buses. i.e BM routes.

The Eltingville Transit center is the hub for the South Shore and you could argue that the hub on the North Shore would be in Port Richmond, although that's not a true hub from my understanding since there really isn't anywhere for all of those buses to waitover at. The problem with the Eltingville Transit Center is that it is further south than some people are going, so it's out of the way in some cases. The way that the MTA has it works alright now, though it could be improved. They [The DOT] could provide more park and rides in areas north of the ETC as they have been doing in a few places. Before they do that though, they [the MTA] just need to add more express bus service because as they've already admitted, there is too much overcrowding and they cut too much service.

Why do you keep proposing this ridiculous idea?

He doesn't know how things work on Staten Island. Plenty of express bus riders already do transfer to other buses at unofficial "hubs" so that idea is already happening.

And what makes you think you know any better than anyone else on this board or at MTA Operations??? It's just an idea so don't take it so seriously, it's just the Internet....

And what makes you think you know any better than anyone else on this board or at MTA Operations??? It's just an idea so don't take it so seriously, it's just the Internet....

Correct, and I'm simply stating that the idea is already in use, which I see with my own eyes every day, so what is your point????

Ok, then in that case how?

There are a few "transfer express bus points" on Staten Island, particularly at the Hylan Blvd stop going and coming from the Verrazano along the service road, as well the first and last stop on Staten Island. In Manhattan, some express bus riders will also transfer to other express buses at the first stops, although these are not official transfer points to my knowledge.

On the Union Turnpike express buses, some riders transfer since the North Shore Towers buses don't go to Lower Manhattan.

What's your take on express bus service in Queens overall? I used the QM1A a few times and the X68. Seems like service is scarce on the weekends with just one bus an hour on many lines.

The X14 makes Downtown stops along Water Street to replace the X13 and then takes the FDR to 23rd street. Prior to the X13 cuts it only served 23rs street and up. And for those who take the X17, they have the X17J for Midtown service, the X19 for Downtown service and the X17A Downtown, as well as the X17C which runs the entire route.

2 things:

1) The X17C doesn't run during rush hour, so passengers going between Worth Street and 34th Street/42nd Street have no direct bus-they have to transfer

2) The same situation applies to the X14-if you are trying to go between Frankfort Street and 23rd Street, you will have to transfer

The Eltingville Transit center is the hub for the South Shore and you could argue that the hub on the North Shore would be in Port Richmond, although that's not a true hub from my understanding since there really isn't anywhere for all of those buses to waitover at. The problem with the Eltingville Transit Center is that it is further south than some people are going, so it's out of the way in some cases. The way that the MTA has it works alright now, though it could be improved. They [The DOT] could provide more park and rides in areas north of the ETC as they have been doing in a few places. Before they do that though, they [the MTA] just need to add more express bus service because as they've already admitted, there is too much overcrowding and they cut too much service.

I think Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue could be considered the hub of the North Shore. You have the X30 for northern Midtown, the X10/X12 for Lower Manhattan, and the X42 for southern Midtown. Enough people use it so that it could be considered the North Shore's ETC. (Though I see way more people waiting for local buses than express buses)

Like I said, a transfer in Manhattan isn't the worst thing in the world.

Archived