Fare Beater Policy Express Bus vs Local Bus

Via Garibaldi 8

I'm saying SOME parts of those areas are very well to do. Of course most parts of those areas are middle class. I thought you understood that, but I guess not.

Negative.

1) "Well to do" can equate to rich, as well as wealth.

2) You can't have parts of a (supposed) rich area as being middle class... it's either rich or it isn't....

Negative.

1) "Well to do" can equate to rich, as well as wealth.

2) You can't have parts of a (supposed) rich area as being middle class... it's either rich or it isn't....

Talk about anal... We both know these areas are well to do so just stop it. Jesus. Maybe they're not 10 million dollar mansions, but I sure as hell wouldn't have a problem living in any of them no matter how much cash I had, especially Shore Road. That area is one of the most beautiful parts of Brooklyn, that and the promenade area up in Brooklyn Heights. Besides I'd prefer my life to be private. That's something the rich can't pay enough money to have.

Talk about anal... We both know these areas are well to do so just stop it. Jesus. Maybe they're not 10 million dollar mansions, but I sure as hell wouldn't have a problem living in any of them no matter how much cash I had, especially Shore Road. That area is one of the most beautiful parts of Brooklyn, that and the promenade area up in Brooklyn Heights. Besides I'd prefer my life to be private. That's something the rich can't pay enough money to have.

No one was talking about beautiful, or private, or areas you wouldn't have a problem living in.... don't switch up on me now... especially after telling me to rethink my comment of there being no rich areas in NYC...

Call it anal if you'd like.... If you can't handle me NOT succumbing to the idiocy you presented to me, that there are such areas that exist as "SOME" part rich, "SOME" part middle class (which is downright laughable in itself)... then once again, that's a personal problem...

Go ahead... ask anyone you come in physical contact with on a daily basis, where they can find a "rich, middle class area".... not just in NYC, but anywhere in the world....

I remember when I was on X90 bus using Orion V Suburban Seat during $4-$5, I never seen riders try to beat X90 fare.

It same for Bee-Line BxM4C when bus was $5.00/$5.50, I never seen any riders sneak via rear door.

What's the fare on that 4c now... 7.50... I barely even see the things along 5th av anymore....

If you're heading to White plains off peak, you may as well save the quarter (and the 10 minute walk from where the 4c lets you off at) & take the Metro North...

to hell w/ farebeating on that bus...

I wouldn't wanna embark on it in any form, shape, or fashion anymore....

No one's talking about beautiful, or private, or areas you wouldn't have a problem living in.... don't switch up on me now... especially after telling me to rethink my comment of there being no rich areas in NYC...

Call it anal if you'd like.... If you can't handle me NOT succumbing to the idiocy you presented to me, that there are such areas exists as some part rich, some part middle class (which is downright laughable in itself)... then once again, that's a personal problem...

Go ahead... ask anyone you come in physical contact with on a daily basis know where they can find a "rich, middle class area".... not just in NYC, but anywhere in the world....

Let's just call the areas well to do and leave it at that. Now I see why I hated the one time I took the BM2 by accident... You were probably riding on it. :tdown: lol

Let's just call the areas well to do and leave it at that. Now I see why I hated the one time I took the BM2 by accident... You were probably riding on it. :tdown: lol

I sensed a bigoted vibe about you...

the fact that, you say you can understand where someone that says "express buses are for the rich white man", is coming from...

and now the one ride that you took on the BM2, w/ mostly black people on it... now you see why you hated it... because me, a black man was on it... aint nothin lol-worthy about that...

now this pretty much confirms my suspicions...

thanks for letting it all come out, chief...

I sensed a bigoted vibe about you...

the fact that, you say you can understand where someone that says "express buses are for the rich white man", is coming from...

and now the one ride that you took on the BM2, w/ mostly black people on it... now you see why you hated it... because me, a black man was on it... aint nothin lol-worthy about that...

now this pretty much confirms my suspicions...

thanks for letting it all come out, chief...

You know you really like to twist things to suit you. Now in the post in you're quoting I explained your side & his side, so let's not twist things like that.

As far as my BM2 comment, I didn't say anything about not liking the other people. I talked specifically about you and what I was referring to was you being so anal about what were discussing in previous posts, not the fact that you're black, so don't put words in my mouth because I don't need to insinuate anything.

B35, what is your definition of a "rich" area? And what is the difference (in your eyes) between a "rich" and "wealthy" area? (like you stated in your posts at 6:11PM and 6:31PM)

I think what Via Garibaldi 8 is trying to say is that higher-income areas and middle-income areas can be located next to each other, and that express buses can pass through both types of areas.

As far as income goes, here is a map showing the median houehold income of the census tracts is the 5 boroughs:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/The-Bronx-Bronx-NY.html (The Bronx)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Brooklyn-Brooklyn-NY.html (Brooklyn)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Staten-Island-Staten-Island-NY.html (Staten Island)

I can't find Queens and Manhattan, but you can go to a search engine and type in the words "___ neighborhood in greater neighborhood that the neighborhood you want is in, NY city-data"

For example, for Chinatown, type in "Chinatown neighborhood in NY, NY city-data" for a demographic profile of the area. Then, click on the individual census tracts to see the specific data you want (which, in this case would be household income or per capita income).

From there, you can decide for yourself, what areas qualify as "rich"

B35, what is your definition of a "rich" area? And what is the difference (in your eyes) between a "rich" and "wealthy" area? (like you stated in your posts at 6:11PM and 6:31PM)

I think what Via Garibaldi 8 is trying to say is that higher-income areas and middle-income areas can be located next to each other, and that express buses can pass through both types of areas.

As far as income goes, here is a map showing the median houehold income of the census tracts is the 5 boroughs:

Give me a minute to post them.

That's exactly my point.

Ive been on express buses where its a mixed crowd, it also depends on the area the bus travels. Most people dont take the express bus because its too expensive , I know white people who wont take it because they cant afford the extra fare. Its like people who dont take the LIRR but take the LIbus ... Its jsut a price thing. I know people who dont mind shelling out the extra $ for the express bus because you get home quicker sometimes and also because the regular local bus riff raff is not on that bus..

You know you really like to twist things to suit you. Now in the post in you're quoting I explained your side & his side, so let's not twist things like that.

As far as my BM2 comment, I didn't say anything about not liking the other people. I talked specifically about you and what I was referring to was you being so anal about what were discussing in previous posts, not the fact that you're black, so don't put words in my mouth because I don't need to insinuate anything.

Exactly. You said it out of spite... A bigoted comment was the end result of it...

I don't care what you said about agreeing with me at this point.... the fact with you agreed with someone that thinks on the same level as that ignorant acquaintance, speaks volumes... you're not gonna thwart in your feeble attempts to squirm out of this one...

these are your words, not mine:

I'm of a mixed background, but mainly Italian and I have to admit that the it was strange the one time I jumped on the BM2 accidentally (the BM3 was a no show and I thought that the BM2 also took Ocean Ave down so far like the BM1/BM4 buses) to be on an express bus w/predominately black riders because living in the areas that I've lived and currently live in, the majority is usually white.

Now I see why I hated the one time I took the BM2 by accident... You were probably riding on it. lol

So I don't have to put words in your mouth... because you keep putting your foot in it.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/The-Bronx-Bronx-NY.html (The Bronx)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Brooklyn-Brooklyn-NY.html (Brooklyn)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Staten-Island-Staten-Island-NY.html (Staten Island)

I can't find Queens and Manhattan, but you can go to a search engine and type in the words "___ neighborhood in greater neighborhood that the neighborhood you want is in, NY city-data"

For example, for Chinatown, type in "Chinatown neighborhood in NY, NY city-data" for a demographic profile of the area. Then, click on the individual census tracts to see the specific data you want (which, in this case would be household income or per capita income).

From there, you can decide for yourself, what areas qualify as "rich"

Ok, I'll answer this:

The wealthy....

Wealth has to be generated over long periods of time before someone can become rich.... these are your lower & upper middle class people... Most of the areas that people rave about moving to in NYC, lie w/i this category... your Bay Ridge's, your Park Slope's, your Brooklyn Hgts', your Riverdale's, your Yorkville's etc....

The Rich....

Rich people don't have to work a day in their life... and their children, those children's children, and hell, even the 3rd & 4th generations of that rich person would still live life comfortably... hell, even lavishly....

UES is a high end commercial area... the rich aren't moving to 5th, Lex, and Park av's to retire & spend their last days on earth at/on....

for the life of me, I cannot think of a rich residential area in NYC...

Thanks for the city-data links though... it made my decision even more definitive.

Rich areas, to me, are well hidden in enclaves, are no where near public transportation, no where near the public, really.... places where you gotta know someone of an upper class bracket to move into, and you better be upper class yourself if you wanna call yourself moving you (and your family) there....

So, what your saying is that high-income areas aren't necessarily rich, if the majority of the people are employed and working to earn that high income and maintain the high quality of living (even if they are high-paying jobs like lawyers, doctors, bankers, etc).

So all of those neighborhoods like Todt Hill, the UES/UWS, Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, etc, are all upper-middle class areas, correct?

So, what your saying is that high-income areas aren't necessarily rich, if the majority of the people are employed and working to earn that high income and maintain the high quality of living (even if they are high-paying jobs like lawyers, doctors, bankers, etc).

So all of those neighborhoods like Todt Hill, the UES/UWS, Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, etc, are all upper-middle class areas, correct?

Part in bold is one of my main points.... That is where my definition differs, from some people's.. I mean iono, some people may feel the same way I do about rich vs wealth....

And to your question at the end there... Yup.

Speaking of express bus, after BxM4C fare increase, ridership on BxM4C was drop because it is very expensive than (MTA) Express Bus.

Some white people does take express bus.

Many ethnic who could afford express bus, I have seen on X25, X90, X51, BxM7A, BxM6, BxM10, BxM9, BxM11, BxM1/2, QM21, X10, X23 (Atlantic Express), X1, X17C, X30 (Vanhool Test), etc.

Part in bold is one of my main points.... That is where my definition differs, from some people's.. I mean iono, some people may feel the same way I do about rich vs wealth....

And to your question at the end there... Yup.

I have news for you... Some people that you wouldn't consider to be rich work, NOT because they have to, but because they like working and being productive. Do they need the money?? No. Look at Warren Buffett and Bill Gates. Bill Gates is one of the the richest guys around and he works and so does Warren Buffet, so your analogy makes no sense at all.

Exactly. You said it out of spite... A bigoted comment was the end result of it...

I don't care what you said about agreeing with me at this point.... the fact with you agreed with someone that thinks on the same level as that ignorant acquaintance, speaks volumes... you're not gonna thwart in your feeble attempts to squirm out of this one...

these are your words, not mine:

So I don't have to put words in your mouth... because you keep putting your foot in it.

If you want to pull the race card, then go on ahead, but don't expect me to change what I said. Yes, it was strange to see the express bus filled w/mainly black riders because as I said before usually the express bus lines that I take are mainly white. There is nothing racist about that unless you want it to be so go on ahead and wallow in it.

I've used the express bus on a regular basis for 3 years (and I still ride them recreationally). The X63 and QM21, the two routes closest to my house, have a predominantly Black/West Indian ridership. There are a few Caucasian riders on the X63. I think they may get on at the stop near the Queens/Nassau border. The funny thing is that the X63 is about 75% female. Most of the riders are above the age of 40. Ironically, the same people who are oblivious to the express bus ride the LIRR.

I've used the express bus on a regular basis for 3 years (and I still ride them recreationally). The X63 and QM21, the two routes closest to my house, have a predominantly Black/West Indian ridership. There are a few Caucasian riders on the X63. I think they may get on at the stop near the Queens/Nassau border. The funny thing is that the X63 is about 75% female. Most of the riders are above the age of 40. Ironically, the same people who are oblivious to the express bus ride the LIRR.

That percentage of female riders could apply to many express bus routes, not just the X63. I do wonder why so many females ride the express bus over males? Perhaps they feel safer riding the express bus.

I have news for you... Some people that you wouldn't consider to be rich work, NOT because they have to, but because they like working and being productive. Do they need the money?? No. Look at Warren Buffett and Bill Gates. Bill Gates is one of the the richest guys around and he works and so does Warren Buffet, so your analogy makes no sense at all.

That's my point.

These people don't HAVE to work to maintain their riches... are you that damn dense....

If you want to pull the race card, then go on ahead, but don't expect me to change what I said. Yes, it was strange to see the express bus filled w/mainly black riders because as I said before usually the express bus lines that I take are mainly white. There is nothing racist about that unless you want it to be so go on ahead and wallow in it.

At this point, I could give a shit either way.

It is probably because the LIRR is instantly visible. You can see the elevated structure from a couple of blocks away, whereas the only way you would know that the express bus runs is if you actally see the bus on the street.

The LIRR is advertised more and you hear about it constantly on the news. The express bus however isn't talked about as much, and until recently, they didn't even put up time schedules and proper signage at many stops. You just knew where to stand and when the bus arrived you got on, so it was almost like it was kept a secret. Then factor in the cost and there's another obstacle for most people.

By the way, how did we get into this argument over technicality-whether the areas served by express buses are "wealthy", "rich", or "high-income"? I think the only thing that matters is that the clientele of express buses are usually more (how do I put this?) well-behaved and more likely to pay their fare with no argument than the local riders, and that is why the drivers are more likely to confront a potential "farebeater".

And as far as race goes, the people who ride the transit of an area usually reflect the demographics of the area. A transit route going into a predominantly white neighborhood will have predominantly white riders. The same applies for blacks, Asians, Latinos, and any other race group that rides the transit in the neighborhood.

Archived