Fare Beater Policy Express Bus vs Local Bus

Via Garibaldi 8

The LIRR is advertised more and you hear about it constantly on the news. The express bus however isn't talked about as much, and until recently, they didn't even put up time schedules and proper signage at many stops. You just knew where to stand and when the bus arrived you got on, so it was almost like it was kept a secret. Then factor in the cost and there's another obstacle for most people.

The cost of taking the LIRR to Manhattan is higher than an express bus-I believe it is $8 from the outer edge of Queens to reach Manhattan.

By the way, how did we get into this argument over technicality-whether the areas served by express buses are "wealthy", "rich", or "high-income"?

I think the only thing that matters is that the clientele of express buses are usually more (how do I put this?) well-behaved and more likely to pay their fare with no argument than the local riders, and that is why the drivers are more likely to confront a potential "farebeater".

And as far as race goes, the people who ride the transit of an area usually reflect the demographics of the area. A transit route going into a predominantly white neighborhood will have predominantly white riders. The same applies for blacks, Asians, Latinos, and any other race group that rides the transit in the neighborhood.

It started from a story I decided to share, with an acquaintance from a job I once worked at.... post #15 of this thread....

the debate (which isn't really about where express buses serve, but areas in NYC in general) didn't start til post 19 (where I said there are no rich areas in NYC) & post 21 (Garibaldi's disagreement to that part of my post).... after that, it all spiraled downhill & went o/t....

.....and your 2nd & 3rd paragraphs are on point.

Show me where I said, or insinuated that.

Otherwise, you're just pulling shit out of your ass just for the sake of it.

Here your quote:

"Rich people don't have to work a day in their life... and their children, those children's children, and hell, even the 3rd & 4th generations of that rich person would still live life comfortably... hell, even lavishly...."

You seem to be insinuating that 3rd & 4th generations of that rich person who would also be rich would just live off of that money and not work. Living lavishly and comfortably implies that the person not only spends a lot, but also doesn't do anything that requires any effort, including working because having to work is generally not seen as something "comfortable", but rather stressful, or at least requiring some form of effort.

Here your quote:

"Rich people don't have to work a day in their life... and their children, those children's children, and hell, even the 3rd & 4th generations of that rich person would still live life comfortably... hell, even lavishly...."

You seem to be insinuating that 3rd & 4th generations of that rich person who would also be rich would just live off of that money and not work. Living lavishly and comfortably implies that the person not only spends a lot but also doesn't do anything that requires any effort including working because having to work is generally not seen as something "comfortable", but rather stressful or at least requiring some form of effort.

I knew you were gonna bring that quote up.

And my retort is a simple one.

Saying rich people don't have to work... and saying rich people don't work, are two very different things...

I shouldn't have to explain something so rudimentary to another 29 year old man...

If you don't realize that, then I don't know what else to tell you dude....

I knew you were gonna bring that quote up.

And my retort is a simple one.

Saying rich people don't have to work... and saying rich people don't work, are two very different things...

I shouldn't have to explain something so rudimentary to another 29 year old man...

If you don't realize that, then I don't know what else to tell you dude....

You're the one who said it, not me and I understood perfectly what you said. If you knew I was going to bring up the quote, next time you should make your points clearer.

You're the one who said it, not me and I understood perfectly what you said. If you knew I was going to bring up the quote, next time you should make your points clearer.

I know exactly what I said, and what I meant.

Apparently you didn't understand, if you're misconstruing the simple concept of someone not having to work, and someone not working.... Furthermore, it has no bearing on me if you decide to run with an intrepretation different than that of what's laid out right in front of you, and everyone else on the forum in black & white....

I don't have time to sit here & and encrypt what I'm saying.... I'm very blunt & direct with what I say.... If you try to read between the lines with what I say, you're gonna draw up something totally wrong.

I know exactly what I said, and what I meant.

Apparently you didn't understand, if you're misconstruing the simple concept of someone not having to work, and someone not working.... Furthermore, it has no bearing on me if you decide to run with an intrepretation different than that of what's laid out right in front of you, and everyone else on the forum in black & white....

I don't have time to sit here & and encrypt what I'm saying.... I'm very blunt & direct with what I say.... If you try to read between the lines with what I say, you're gonna draw up something totally wrong.

Go right on ahead and backtrack... lol

Ok. Manhattan has the most expensive real estate in the country. Lost of B/O's in Brooklyn will not move the bus if they spot a farebeater. Express buses don't really have a problem with it because of the single door.

I was thinking just that, but B35 also pointed that out about how it isn't really the case:

I know what you're trying to say; (you'd think) the probability of fare beating would be higher, just by the simple fact of there being the back door....

But I'll tell you what, take this FWIW, but out of all the express buses I've been on where O5's were still being ran on em at the time (BM1-5, Qm1, Qm2/a, Qm3), I have never seen someone try to hop the back of the bus... and I'm talking about somewhere b/w 100-200 different rides... people aren't looking to fare beat express buses... your average person could care less for the express bus b/c of what areas they deem the buses travel through (the rich areas; can't stand when people say that btw), and two, the "type" of people, in accordance to the fare of the bus itself...

also to note, when people are boarding express buses in manhattan in the PM (and in it's respective outerborough in the AM), no one's getting off buses at these times... so the back door never opens, for someone to have the chance to board through the back...

Ok. Manhattan has the most expensive real estate in the country. Lost of B/O's in Brooklyn will not move the bus if they spot a farebeater. Express buses don't really have a problem with it because of the single door.

That's true but at the same time, its also not true. Some drivers don't care on the heavy-used routes, espically where farebeating runs rampant (i.e: B46). But OTOH, there's drivers that will stop the bus (and on occasion shut it down, I seen it before on the B15, good ol' ENY drivers for ya ;)). It depends on the driver.

I'd love to see an attempt at fare beating on an Express Bus lol.

If its only one door on the bus and you must go by the driver to get on the bus, does it actually count if the driver let's you on? B)

The reason I asked is because when someone doesn't pay on the express bus and walks and sits down, I've witnessed a few drivers literally stop the bus and indicate that he's not moving until that person comes and pays. Meanwhile on local buses this rarely if ever happens and the B/Os could care less what the riders story is. They just wave them on and keep on going. So is there a different level on "enforecement" when it comes to the express bus vs the local bus? Just curious.

Out in SI people walk onto the bus like the farebox is broken and drivers doen't say anything to them.if anybody does that here in Brooklyn,bus driver will make you pay fare or at lease say something to you.

I'd love to see an attempt at fare beating on an Express Bus lol.

Not that I fare beat on an express bus but one time the firebox wouldn't read my card which had MORE than $5.50 so I really didn't know why it was acting up. The driver, after making countless efforts to clean my card eventually let me on the bus.

Not that I fare beat on an express bus but one time the firebox wouldn't read my card which had MORE than $5.50 so I really didn't know why it was acting up. The driver, after making countless efforts to clean my card eventually let me on the bus.

Yeah that isn't farebeating at all. Not your fault the card reader f'ed up. One time I used a card that was well below the fare w/out realizing it. Driver let me on anyway as it was pointless to make me get off with others behind me. That plus I'd have to pay again if I needed to get on the subway or transfer to another bus.

That's true but at the same time, its also not true. Some drivers don't care on the heavy-used routes, espically where farebeating runs rampant (i.e: B46). But OTOH, there's drivers that will stop the bus (and on occasion shut it down, I seen it before on the B15, good ol' ENY drivers for ya :)). It depends on the driver.

If its only one door on the bus and you must go by the driver to get on the bus, does it actually count if the driver let's you on? :P

Notice that statement is actually 100% true, as I said lots of B/O's, and not all. On many crush loaded buses the driver doesn't even notice farebeaters. I can't count how many times I have seen this occur on the B46.

This is why they should have 'inspectors' at the more important stops like Av H and such. Cameras [if they work] can only do so much. Having inspectors at every stop is pointless, but at least they can prevent farebeating at more higher used stops.

I get your point....but you have to consider the price of putting all this in place over the price of the farebeating itself....The MTA is going to spend 20K a day to stop 5K worth of Farebeating???? (Not using actual figures just making a point)

Notice that statement is actually 100% true, as I said lots of B/O's, and not all. On many crush loaded buses the driver doesn't even notice farebeaters. I can't count how many times I have seen this occur on the B46

Very possible, and most likely the case....

But to be honest, I think it's more the b/o noticing them & simply not caring enough to bother....

But to be honest, I think it's more the b/o noticing them & simply not caring enough to bother....

True. It's likely a combination of both. But I have definitely seen it go unnoticed on the 46. If an RTS is crushloaded, it can be hard to see into the rear wheel-well at times. Even with that mirror.

True. It's likely a combination of both. But I have definitely seen it go unnoticed on the 46. If an RTS is crushloaded, it can be hard to see into the rear wheel-well at times. Even with that mirror.

Same thing hapens with the Q46. I saw this multiple times to know it happens. At springfield blvd the students sneak to the back door of the bus. Short Story: Almost a month ago two girls snuck through the back door of the bus while the bus driver caught them. However they still didn't pay the fare. So the bus operator let it be. Here's the aftermath. he won't even open the back door anymore when he reaches there. Farebeating gets on my nuts because it just fudges the bus up even worse especially if passengers don't pay the fare. Another way farebeating can cause is are those that are paying passengers coming in @t the front. Then there's the ones standing already. Where will they move to make room for the actuual incoming passengers. This is why you outta hate farebeaters.

But after what happened to Edwin Thomas can you really blame them. $2.25 is not worth your life.

And then you have to look at the situation...say 10pm at night, 13-14 y/o kid looking lost,no fare...I would take them,even give them a transfer so they could get home. Same time of night but with a 40 y/o drunk...nah,you're not getting on my bus unless you pay the fare...and if you don't have it,tough cookies,you should have had one less drink.

And I have to agree with Grand Concourse, they should have fare inspectors checking out the lines that have the most problems. Do a "blitz" in each borough every so often....I bet after a 100 buck ticket people would think twice.

But after what happened to Edwin Thomas can you really blame them. $2.25 is not worth your life.

And then you have to look at the situation...say 10pm at night, 13-14 y/o kid looking lost,no fare...I would take them,even give them a transfer so they could get home. Same time of night but with a 40 y/o drunk...nah,you're not getting on my bus unless you pay the fare...and if you don't have it,tough cookies,you should have had one less drink.

And I have to agree with Grand Concourse, they should have fare inspectors checking out the lines that have the most problems. Do a "blitz" in each borough every so often....I bet after a 100 buck ticket people would think twice.

That would at least deter some people from doing it, but the way they have things now is just ridiculous and you cannot keep asking those who do pay their fare to pay higher fares for those who are cheating the system.

Archived