Curious About How To Get Around When I Come Back Home To Brooklyn

Qtrainkid

I am 16 years old will be 17 next year,born in Brooklyn but raised in the southwest.My only problem is I'm still kind of young and even though NY is such a great city,it is not the safest city in the world.Now,the two areas I will be in over the summer are Flatbush and East New York,The Q and I think the B @ Parkside And The A And C @ Van Siclen Ave.The buses that run over in Flatbush are the B46,And the B12 in both Flatbush and E.NY And In E.N.Y. I Will be by the B14.The only places I really want to go are from both of these places to Manhattan(42nd St-Times Square,5th Ave-Rockefeller Center) and back and fourth to and from Flatbush and East New York.Please give me some type of help so I can be trusted to go ANYWHERE on the Subway/Train by MYSELF.Please let me know any precautions that I need to take when riding(e.g.-things to avoid,things to do).Please and thanks. :)

Welcome aboard Qtrainkid. The best advice I can give you is to act like a New Yorker. Act like you know where you're going and don't flash anything expensive in the subway.

http://www.mta.info has great 411: current borough bus maps and subway map and the great strip maps for each subway line.

How have you liked the Southwest?

Welcome to the forums.

Act like a New Yorker, don't be lost all the time and don't flash any of your goods. (Unless you can defend yourself or pull a quick move on people)

As for getting to your destinations:

Times Square - (A)(C)(Q) ; (:( to 42nd Street, walk 2 blocks.

Rockefeller Center - (:P to 47-50th Streets ; (Q) to 49th Street & walk.

I am 16 years old will be 17 next year,born in Brooklyn but raised in the southwest.My only problem is I'm still kind of young and even though NY is such a great city,it is not the safest city in the world.Now,the two areas I will be in over the summer are Flatbush and East New York,The Q and I think the B @ Parkside And The A And C @ Van Siclen Ave.The buses that run over in Flatbush are the B46,And the B12 in both Flatbush and E.NY And In E.N.Y. I Will be by the B14.The only places I really want to go are from both of these places to Manhattan(42nd St-Times Square,5th Ave-Rockefeller Center) and back and fourth to and from Flatbush and East New York.Please give me some type of help so I can be trusted to go ANYWHERE on the Subway/Train by MYSELF.Please let me know any precautions that I need to take when riding(e.g.-things to avoid,things to do).Please and thanks. :P

East Flatbush resident here.

Yes, the B12 is right in my backyard... same w/ the B46.

Anyway... yo, If you're on the subway... you can put your head in your lap, but don't keep looking at someone periodically as you're doing it... easy way to get into an argument...

I take it you're a guy... don't start small talk w/ other men. lose the small town mentality if you have it...

I'm not even talking on the whole homo tip either...

You can look at the map... but if you keep going back & forth looking at the map, you're an easy target...

Have an idea of where you're going ahead of time

Also, never continually look up at street signs as you're walking... don't grill (stare hard at) people either...

Get it engrained in your mind that people aren't looking to converse w/ you here in NYC...

We have to get where we have to go, quick fast & in a hurry.... we don't have time for anything "in-between".....

Forget about expecting manners out of people... don't expect an "excuse me" or a "I'm sorry"... If you bump into someone lightly, just move on... If someone bumps into you, do what I do - give em a dirty look, and move on... they'll get the message... but never stop dead in a crowd of moving people (especially in manhattan)...

Regardless, Welcome to the boards, (Q)TrainKid.

Archived