Charleston Depot Is Officially Open!

SIR North Shore

Jay Walder took a ride on the ferry and S40 bus to Snug Harbor earlier this week to discuss transit on SI and mentioned that Charleston Depot is now open with 40 buses and only the X17/X19 running out of the depot currently.

MTA honcho spreads a little sunshine here with hints of Staten Island transit improvements - SI Advance

good to see you SI cats on here unifying w/ that Meredith depot decal as avatars.

as for Charleston depot, this news will singlehandedly make Chipper10 the happiest man on earth...

remember that scene in one of those american pie movies, where dude came so hard, his girl got stuck all the way up to the ceiling... LOL...

It'd be interesting to see what other routes will end up getting moved there...

all in all, a win AFAIC regarding transit & SI.... 2 depots in a short period of time... it's long overdue.

Jay Walder took a ride on the ferry and S40 bus to Snug Harbor earlier this week to discuss transit on SI and mentioned that Charleston Depot is now open with 40 buses and only the X17/X19 running out of the depot currently.

MTA honcho spreads a little sunshine here with hints of Staten Island transit improvements - SI Advance

We've lacked room at Yukon and Castleton for years and finally after many years of back and forth we have our 3rd Depot (not counting Meredith)!! :tup: I know that the depot is already accounted for in terms of buses, but this will finally give us a chance to have the expanded bus service that we have desperately needed for so long.

Ar least the fact that it is completed will mean that they will save money in the deadheads of certain routes, and, hopefully, that money can be reinvested into expanding service on existing routes or creating new ones (at this point, I think the former is more likely)

On a side note, I took the S44 to St. George today and the bus arrived at the terminal at 7:59 AM. I had to go into Manhattan for my after-school program, and the other members of the club were surprised at how I made it in the nick of time.

Also, my observations confirmed my theory that, if a bus doesn't go to St. George or Brooklyn, it is going to be dead on the weekends. (I saw 2 decently crowded (In other words, Standing Room Only) S44s and 1 empty S59 while I was walking along Richmond Avenue, which tells me that SIR North Shore's idea of extending the S54 to St. George would be a great one if the MTA were actually concerned with increasing ridership (they feel that ridership will virtually constant, regardless of how much money they invest into the system. Any additions in service cost money, but not as much as they think)

Ar least the fact that it is completed will mean that they will save money in the deadheads of certain routes, and, hopefully, that money can be reinvested into expanding service on existing routes or creating new ones (at this point, I think the former is more likely)

On a side note, I took the S44 to St. George today and the bus arrived at the terminal at 7:59 AM. I had to go into Manhattan for my after-school program, and the other members of the club were surprised at how I made it in the nick of time.

Also, my observations confirmed my theory that, if a bus doesn't go to St. George or Brooklyn, it is going to be dead on the weekends. (I saw 2 decently crowded (In other words, Standing Room Only) S44s and 1 empty S59 while I was walking along Richmond Avenue, which tells me that SIR North Shore's idea of extending the S54 to St. George would be a great one if the MTA were actually concerned with increasing ridership (they feel that ridership will virtually constant, regardless of how much money they invest into the system. Any additions in service cost money, but not as much as they think)

What they should do is extend it to the Ferry and then restore weekend service, even if it's just every half hour. It would certainly take some of the load off of the S53 crowding on the weekends AND restore service to vital places along the line like Seaview hospital. That line was used a lot by seniors as well as students (especially in the morning) and it's really a shame that they axed it on the weekends.

So you had to do the ferry shuffle! The S44 is actually scheduled that way though on Sat & Sunday mornings and so is the S40.

The S54 should run on weekends but if it did, I'm sure they would have cut service elsewhere at the time. But even if the S54 doesn't run on weekends, it's 100% useless to have the S54 buses layover for 20+ minutes in the middle of "nowhere" on weekdays, when they could have it run to the ferry and the amount of people that it would benefit would make it cost-effective to say the least.

I'd still like to know what the logo looks like.

Me too.

Aside from Castleton, I like the Yukon and Meredith Depot bus logos.

I've never seen Meredith's insignia.

Castleton's could be updated a bit.

I like Castleton's logo. It looks like the G1 Decepticon insignia:cool:

Me too.

I've never seen Meredith's insignia.

I like Castleton's logo. It looks like the G1 Decepticon insignia:cool:

When I was a kid, I sent a letter to all of the depots asking them to send me their bus sticker and I had all of them on my transit wall in my room. At some point metal took over and so I had metal posters take over that spot, but it was awesome to have most of the logos on my wall. The ones that I really liked but never had was the Coliseum Depot, Walnut Depot, Mother Clara Hale Depot and Hudson Pier Depot.

P.S. Meredith's logo is on some of the X17 buses. I've occasionally saw it on some of the routes that usually run out of Castleton Depot like the X14.

Here is a photo of it from a thread below. I think it's pretty cool....

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25191

As I see it, even if there are no service improvements for now, it's a win for Staten Island, as it finally gives SI Division sufficient bays to maintain its fleet.

But will Meredith remain?

Charleston is already accounted for in terms of buses so it'll be full. Quite frankly we need a second Charleston to really expand service on Staten Island, so keeping Meredith open is a must because Charleston will be the work horse since it's new and has much more modern facilites than Yukon and especially Castleton. Quite frankly Castleton should be rehabed and really soon. It is really in bad shape and like Yukon since it's in a residential area, parking the buses there is a big problem since there is really no room.

As I see it, even if there are no service improvements for now, it's a win for Staten Island, as it finally gives SI Division sufficient bays to maintain its fleet.

But will Meredith remain?

It better.

Charleston is already accounted for in terms of buses so it'll be full. Quite frankly we need a second Charleston to really expand service on Staten Island, so keeping Meredith open is a must because Charleston will be the work horse since it's new and has much more modern facilites than Yukon and especially Castleton. Quite frankly Castleton should be rehabed and really soon. It is really in bad shape and like Yukon since it's in a residential area, parking the buses there is a big problem since there is really no room.

:tup: Good points.

Well, the S55 and S56 basically interline with each other, but if anything I could see school trippers coming out of Yukon for the S55/56.

They used to interline back before the S55 was extended to the AKCC (a bus would come to Tottenville High School as an S55 and leave as an S56, and vice versa), but now, I don't think they do. The only place they can interline is the SI Mall, and, looking at the schedule, it looks like buses coming in as S55s leave as S55s, and S56s leave as S56s.

By the way, before the S55 was extended, did bus drivers allow you to stay on the bus through Tottenville High School? For example, if I wanted to go from Annadale Road to the Princes' Bay SIR station, would I have to use my transfer on the S55 or could I just stay on?

By the way, what schools have school trippers on the S55/S56? If they are west of Huguenot Avenue, they would probably be better off coming out of Charleston.

They used to interline back before the S55 was extended to the AKCC (a bus would come to Tottenville High School as an S55 and leave as an S56, and vice versa), but now, I don't think they do. The only place they can interline is the SI Mall, and, looking at the schedule, it looks like buses coming in as S55s leave as S55s, and S56s leave as S56s.

Now with 55s & 56s running every half hour, they can't do that anymore.

By the way, before the S55 was extended, did bus drivers allow you to stay on the bus through Tottenville High School? For example, if I wanted to go from Annadale Road to the Princes' Bay SIR station, would I have to use my transfer on the S55 or could I just stay on?

It depended on the driver. Some were :cool: Others were d*uch*s.

By the way, what schools have school trippers on the S55/S56? If they are west of Huguenot Avenue, they would probably be better off coming out of Charleston.

They probably will.

Archived