Black Smoke

MHV9218

Thanks for the videos.

Think the noise of example one with the smoke of example two, and you've got 6640 exactly.

About that 2nd video. I remember how hot that bus was when it turned the corner onto Woodhaven, there was about as much heat as an MCI when the rear of it is hot. KR would tell you about the MCI he once had that gave off a lot of heat which was this one down below.

Speaking of smoke , there was 3 vintage buses started up in quill today and the guy who takes the buses to get cleaned he turned them on and nobody told him to do it so there was smoke polluting the air all over the 1st floor they had to open all door and the garage doors and the boss came down and said what the hell is going on .

Just saw 6640 pass by me, and that bus is in trouble. Squealing noise around the engine bay, much like what'd you hear on a D60, only this is an O7. Then, the worst is that the bus is just belching black smoke out the exhaust, and tons of it. We're talking pitch black, like the type you'd see on one of those huge big rigs.

On a car, I'd say it was running rich, that there was too much oil in the gas/oil mixture. But this is a bus -- any ideas what's causing this problem? And how long do we think that bus'll be on the DL for?

I got on an M1 on 5th Ave yesterday to catch an X1 home and it had the luggage racks. I was thinking why is this bus being used on the M1? These are used normally on the M60...

If its heavy black smoke when the bus takes off then its a blown turbo.

If you start a diesel indoors in the cold then and have no ventilation then you will die.

The other noises could be a hole on the air hose that goes from the air filter or the intercooler to the intake manifold.

that last video cs had sounds like a bad belt pulley on the engine, or the turbo is going. Theres small bearings and turning parts that feed of the motor oil. Those buses are running 24-7 those parts wear out all the time.

You're probably right...

That said, I was leaning closer to a clogged EGR valve. Wouldn't that explain the black smoke? A blown turbo wouldn't have any visible exhaust effects, would it? Then again, this stuff isn't my forté, I'd be better off if we were talking cars...

In my experiences because I am a truck driver is a bad egr will deff cause the heavy black smoke.I had that happen to me befor. If the turbo is blown all the exhaust is not getting recycled back into the intake and the motor is loosing power. A diesel engine needs a turbo for the tourque and the heavy weight the motor has to move.

Were you on 3892 by any chance?

Well, MTV usually runs one or two luggage rack buses around the 5pm rush hour, more a sign that they need to circulate where the buses go than if they are having trouble. That said, the fact the 6640 was running in that condition was alarming, and last month's ten bus shortage was definitely a sign the depot could use a little more rolling stock.

Could be, but that was far from the noise this bus was making. The second bus you showed also seems to be just burning up a little unburnt fuel as well, that's a relatively common problem is most vehicles.

It could've been 3892 but I can't remember for sure... It was around 06:40 or so... I just hopped on very briefly for one stop and took it over to 42nd and 5to catch the X1.

And what is it with diesels and them being hard to start in the cold, and what happens if you do start one up when it's as cold as it was this morning?

Unlike gasoline, diesel oil is adversely affected by cold temperatures. Diesel is made of heavier hydrocarbons.

A worn or clogged pump can also make an engine hard to start. Also check the fuel filters and lines for any obstructions.

I forgot about diesel with all the tree huggers screaming that it kills people... I don't see GASOLINE powered commercial vehicles, now do I? Diesel is used as is because the engines fueled by diesel need low end torque and some power to help with hauling heavy loads, especially with trucks and buses in stop-and-go traffic and otherwise tight roads.

I am an avid supporter of environmental protection & conservation & i see nothing wrong with diesel as long as it stays where it's supposed to be and cold starts on very worn engines are kept to a minimum. Bio-diesel is the future, but for now till they streamline the production process on a large scale it has it come from the toxic black goop from in the ground.

Low end torque, sure maybe for a bus, but the real magic happens in a locomotive or especially a ship.. You get enough tq to spin that bus like a airplane propellor. Those big ship engines spin bronze & steel alloy props at 60 rpm that can weigh as much as a house. Bus engine puts out at most 300 some hp, a proper traction diesel prime mover can put out ~4500 hp. Those mega large ones put out like 15,000 hp per cylinder and can have 5-8 cylinders

You can't do that with gasoline, it burns too fast, and does not pack as much energy.

If gasoline is a 1/4 lb bag of sugar, diesel is a 5 lb chocolate cake.

- A

I remember someone posting a link to some small ship engine that put out 1,200,000 pound-feet of torque (that's over 1,000 times the amount of torque the Cummins engines put out) at 200 RPM. Imagine that in a bus.

I'm imagining it B)

200 RPM is about as fast as those big marine engines go. Any faster and the reciprocal force would tear it apart. 1.2 million tq sounds about right. There's no way you could use that amount of force on a bus for moving it, it's enough force to twist it onto itself (think bubble tape).

- A

Archived