Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

The (7) extension to NJ is a real proposal. It's a pet proposal by Bloomberg. So if you hate it bring it to Bloomberg, and scream at his face.
I don't hate it, but I think it's stupid. Though, I wouldn't get out of my seat to argue over something like that.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah my idea isn't a stick it in the Staten Islanders faces. It is what Staten Islanders mostly want to see. They know subway construction takes a long time, and demand light rail lines which is the Staten Island Expressway/Orange Line, and the West Shore Line, the reactivation of the North Shore Line which I demonstrated on my map, and is extended to Newark Airport where people can transfer to NJT/Amtrak trains, and SBS service which isn't shown on my map, but it is suppose to also cross the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and run down Hylan Boulevard. Also most Staten Islanders which I have read their comments, and saw their forums embrace this as a good sort of mass transit, and I also include their idea for high speed ferry service as local, and express ferries on the Staten Island Ferry. Except I increased the destinations of the ferries which is now the Fulton Pier, South Ferry (current), Hoboken Terminal, Coney Island, and the West Midtown Ferry Terminal. They know this a temporarily solution, but they want to have some sort of mass transit so at least they can maintain their population.

Here is my, and what most Staten Islanders asked for on a map. I included the SBS via Hylan Boulevard. This is just the same map just it includes Hylan Boulevard. The Hylan Boulevard SBS has dedicated lanes on the lower level of the bridge. The Orange Line which still might be a light rail line uses the upper level. I also added a pedestrian, and bicycle lane on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

5520736141_235367df8a_b.jpg

Here is my, and what most Staten Islanders asked for on a map. I included the SBS via Hylan Boulevard. This is just the same map just it includes Hylan Boulevard. The Hylan Boulevard SBS has dedicated lanes on the lower level of the bridge. The Orange Line which still might be a light rail line uses the upper level. I also added a pedestrian, and bicycle lane on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

5520736141_235367df8a_b.jpg

You know, I'd listen to you if your lines were actually traced to the actual routes they would be, not just a lazy straight line.

I can't do that if the map doesn't give me what street I am turning lines on you know. ;) I am just trying to make it as accurate as possible, but of course there are still mistakes.

Compare your map to a real one. Duh.

It's just a map done in a week or less it isn't suppose to be a long term one. If I wanted to I would spend more time on it. I am not an architect nor a civil engineer, but I do plan on mastering architecture first in college, and later on civil engineering. That is when I would go serious.

It's just a map done in a week or less it isn't suppose to be a long term one. If I wanted to I would spend more time on it. I am not an architect nor a civil engineer, but I do plan on mastering architecture first in college, and later on civil engineering. That is when I would go serious.

The Staten Island bus map (PDF format) is a good place to start. Erase the bus lines and leave the streets on the map.

Well talking and bragging on the forums is one thing... I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm taking it to the next level. I'm bringing my service plan to "R Train to Staten Island" group, Savino, and possibily to the MTA Future Planning. I'm tired of fighting on here... Imma go out there make a difference in this cause and as a original Bronxite..... Im fighting for Staten's tunnel.

Well they are just talkers too. The real people you should talk to are Architects, and Civil Engineers. They are people with real power to build things. Just talking, and screaming won't do anything. That is why I want to become one so I can change thinks instead of screaming and complaining. Robert Moses even though I am not really approving of him once said "The people with power build. The people who can't criticize". So I picked the building part.

Well they are just talkers too. The real people you should talk to are Architects, and Civil Engineers. They are people with real power to build things. Just talking, and screaming won't do anything. That is why I want to become one so I can change thinks instead of screaming and complaining. Robert Moses even though I am not really approving of him once said "The people with power build. The people who can't criticize". So I picked the building part.
I used to be interesting in architecting but that interest died down..... You know any engineers I can talk to??

There is no need for a subway extension to Staten Island. The population once again isn't dense enough. If my map was implemented onto Staten Island tomorrow morning, and my ideas for improvements to the ferry was added it would stop complaints on the tracks.

Again with population density. I previously posted that Cleveland has 60,000 fewer people than Staten Island (431,000 vs. 491,000) in a larger area (82 sq. miles vs. 58 sq. miles). Yet Cleveland has heavy-rail subway service in the form of the Red Line Rapid. If Cleveland can have the Rapid, more densely-populated Staten Island can surely have a subway extension. And Staten Island's population is growing while Cleveland's is shrinking.

They can but they don't get to build things without getting the green light from politicians. So it is the politicians whom we need to talk to and complain and scream at and vote out of office when they don't get anything substantial done.

I am not giving up on Staten Island what I am doing, and planning is to give the island mass transit until the subway line is done, and we don't know when a subway line is going to connect to the island that is why light rail, high speed ferries, and SBS would work for now. Until mass transit in some subway service comes then this would work for the island for now.

You know there are NIMBY's that object to any subway connections to their island right, and you also know that the island isn't really dense so the subway stations even if connected to their island would have very low riderships for a long time, and you also know that most Staten Islanders that live there don't want to see the island developed. They want it to be quiet.

If NIMBYs living on Staten Island want to pretend it's still 1981 and continue to believe that the rest of the city and its subway haven't changed in the past 30 years, then maybe they need to look for another place to live. They should move out of New York altogether. If they want it to be quiet, the five boroughs of New York City are not the place to be.

Please, you're just beating a dead horse on the matter. As much as I would like to see mass transit improvements within the borough the study is still incomplete. Yes I do hope that somehing is built fast but it's a matter of when that will all take form. And to be upfront, all this light rail talk, what's the point of it..jeez, just connect the SIR to the rest of the system like what was supposed to have happened ages ago.

That is why it is a solution till the subway comes. Until then light rail would work on the island. It isn't meant to last forever. The light rail, and the SBS along with high speed ferries are suppose to help them get to work. Though they would still be kept once a subway goes to the island.

That is why it is a solution till the subway comes. Until then light rail would work on the island. It isn't meant to last forever. The light rail, and the SBS along with high speed ferries are suppose to help them get to work. Though they would still be kept once a subway goes to the island.

You completely missed what I said before. Building a competing system reduces the incentive to extend another overlapping system into the area. It's going to be a good job and not a half-assed job.

And who said any of that (with the exception of +SBS) is coming to Staten Island?

Though you haven't acknowledged how long it takes to build a subway. Staten Islanders need a solution now.

I know how long it takes to build a subway, but Staten Island is in no need of a "subway, per se, but rather a physical connection between it and another borough. With the North Shore, a majoirty of the infrastructure is already in place. The MTA is adhering to the situation as fast as they can. They're holding hearings and conducting a study. But what should be done right now is reconstructing the ROW to rid of trees, shrubbery and debris along it, and extend the platforms.

I am not small brained, nor am I stubborn. The only thing I am trying to do is connect the island to some sort of mass transit. Yet every time I try something you guys have to come, and criticize it. Would you people stop with the criticisms damn it. Keep in mind that at least I have ideas while you guys just have nothing, and just scream at everything.

Archived