Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But isn't the point of a fantasy map to express ideas about what the person thinks should happen in terms of expansions?

Personally, I think a forum for fantasy maps would be a great idea. Pretty much all ideas for new infrastructure should be moved to that forum. (Unless that infrastructure is physically being built, like the SAS or ESA)

It's the fact that they are insanely unrealistic.

But isn't that to be expected of a fantasy map?

If you wanted to construct a realistic fantasy map, here would pretty much be all of the elements:

SAS

Third Avenue Line in The Bronx

A line to Co-Op City (E),(F), and/or (7) to Eastern Queens

Triboro RX

A line connecting SI to the rest of the system

But that would pretty much mean all fantasy maps would be the same.

That is why there should be a seperate forum-so people who don't care for fantasy maps can avoid them.

I still don't know what the hell is the big idea with a fantasy map?

Why spend hours planning routes that will never happen? Because they sound like a good idea? Because maybe those neighborhoods could use more service and its mental masturbation to draw a line on a map where you can pretend you gave it to them?

I don't get it. Probably never will.

We need a fantasy forum to clean this section up of all the foaming. That plus people needs to learn to use the search feature.

I honestly feel like that alone would help clean up a lot of the mess...one organized thread of fantasy discussion is much better than five different threads of the same discussion over and over again to the point where you don't remember if you've made your point here or in four other different places. But you would think that all the built-in encouragement to use the search feature on this forum would take care of that...

But isn't that to be expected of a fantasy map?

If you wanted to construct a realistic fantasy map, here would pretty much be all of the elements:

SAS

Third Avenue Line in The Bronx

A line to Co-Op City (E),(F), and/or (7) to Eastern Queens

Triboro RX

A line connecting SI to the rest of the system

But that would pretty much mean all fantasy maps would be the same.

That is why there should be a seperate forum-so people who don't care for fantasy maps can avoid them.

We know most proposals discussed on transit oriented websites will never happen regardless of how much they are discussed and yes we ALL have our own interpretation of what the subway could be, bottom line. The above areas could use subway service although I'm not sold on the Triboro RX following and a SI-Brooklyn or Manhattan line is just totally cost prohibitive.

I also co-sign on a sub forum for fantasy maps although topics with drawn maps could simply be posted in the Original Art section instead. I don't necessarily have a problem with fantasy maps and there is a creativity factor involved I suppose but maps with 40 lines going to places where a bus is not even warranted is overkill.

Part of the responsibility rests with the users of this site to avoid threads that they aren't interested in. If you see it says "Fantasy Map" (or even something about a project in the works, such as SAS), you already know that some of the ideas are going to be absurd, so if you don't care for those types of discussions, don't waste your time.

Part of the responsibility rests with the users of this site to avoid threads that they aren't interested in. If you see it says "Fantasy Map" (or even something about a project in the works, such as SAS), you already know that some of the ideas are going to be absurd, so if you don't care for those types of discussions, don't waste your time.

The problem is when the subway forum becomes overrun with those threads, then they get their own sub section.

Just like photos do.

Ok who left the door to foamland open? It the 5th time I've done seen those maps in 4 other threads and all of them got shot down.

Nothing is gonna be extended to SI anytime soon so just give up on it already

:lock::lock::lock:

• 1 month later...

I am adding my 5 cents here.

I have looked at a feasible solution that the (MTA) might consider. Since SI wants to go to SAS, simply make the (Q) run to Bay Ridge and then a tunnel extension with a new terminal connecting the SIRT at Grasmere shown here:

Screenshot2011-02-17at75159PM.png

Then the (R) will terminate at Coney Island. Simple, effective, and possible solution to spend the 3 billion

The (Q) will not go to Staten Island. Coney Island is too far along with any other plans to extend it to Staten Island. The only feasible areas that can connect to Staten Island currently as of 2011 is south of 59th Street to St. George, Bay Ridge-95th Street to Rosebank, and Church Avenue to St George via Fort Hamilton Parkway.

The (Q) will not go to Staten Island. Coney Island is too far along with any other plans to extend it to Staten Island. The only feasible areas that can connect to Staten Island currently as of 2011 is south of 59th Street to St. George, Bay Ridge-95th Street to Rosebank, and Church Avenue to St George via Fort Hamilton Parkway.

Mind citing your sources? The last thing I thing I think the MTA would want to do is build more tunnel than necessary—like Kensington to Bay Ridge. I imagine the extra cost would make the Church Avenue extension one of those infeasible ideas…

If the subway system is ever extended from Brooklyn to Staten Island it would have to come from the present 4th Avenue line at some point. In all of my years with the (MTA), plus living in Brooklyn for over 50 years, there has never been a discussion where Church Avenue or Kensington has even entered the discussion. That idea is ludicrous on it's face it's so far out. What's next, Canarsie or the Franklin Shuttle? Get the drool pans out 'cause the foamers are loose again!

Let's spend several million dollars on a Brooklyn to Staten Island subway route and tunnel, and have it end in Grasmere? Why Grasmere?

Except for the being a transfer point between the SIR and #53 bus, how does that help many riders from the North Shore and other points?

Does this transfer point which is not THAT easy to get to, simply become another transfer point where there are conflicting schedules, just another example of the hassle of trying to travel around and about Staten Island?

Just wondering.

Mike

Let's spend several million dollars on a Brooklyn to Staten Island subway route and tunnel, and have it end in Grasmere? Why Grasmere?

Except for the being a transfer point between the SIR and #53 bus, how does that help many riders from the North Shore and other points?

Does this transfer point which is not THAT easy to get to, simply become another transfer point where there are conflicting schedules, just another example of the hassle of trying to travel around and about Staten Island?

Just wondering.

Mike

Better to resurrect the 1920s plan that called for a tunnel between Owl's Head Park and St. George. St. George is where the SI transfer point should be. And the service that runs between SI and Brooklyn should run on the 4th Avenue Express tracks.

No subway service runs more then 3 boroughs.

actually, this was years ago, the (C) diamond train ran from Rockaway Park to Bedford Park during rush hours. it went thru Queens, thru Brooklyn, thru manhattan and into the Bronx. if by any chance they needed to divert the (A) from 145 St onto the (D) line via Concourse for any particular reason, they would do it too. but yea, u r right tho. there are no subway line that serves more than 3 boroughs, but if they were to do it because of any particular reason, they'd do it.

actually, this was years ago, the (C) diamond train ran from Rockaway Park to Bedford Park during rush hours. it went thru Queens, thru Brooklyn, thru manhattan and into the Bronx. if by any chance they needed to divert the (A) from 145 St onto the (D) line via Concourse for any particular reason, they would do it too. but yea, u r right tho. there are no subway line that serves 3 boroughs, but if they were to do it because of any particular reason, they'd do it.

you mean "more than three boroughs".

• 2 weeks later...

uhh well that is what express buses do!!! just add a HOV lane to gawanas in both directions and call it a day!!!!! express buses run in a manner that if the fare was dropped to local fare it could replace manhattan limited stop buses at off-peak hours then revert back to origonal form at rush hour. express buses are everywhere use them!!!!

uhh well that is what express buses do!!! just add a HOV lane to gawanas in both directions and call it a day!!!!! express buses run in a manner that if the fare was dropped to local fare it could replace manhattan limited stop buses at off-peak hours then revert back to origonal form at rush hour. express buses are everywhere use them!!!!

Um, not to sound rude...but what in the blue hell are you talking about???!!!

Its spelled Gowanus and the Gowanus/Prospect Expressway do have HOV lanes. And you can't use express buses for Limited bus routes regardless of what the fare is.....makes no sense!

Archived