Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

It runs on a street that cuts through it. It won't go into the Golf Course. Though it would be hilarious if you are trying to golf, and a streetcar comes careening down the tracks :). No seriously though if the golf course is there it would run underground for a while no trouble there. Also there are no stations at the golf course. One station would be before it goes under the golf course, and the other would be after it exits the tunnel under the golf course.

You've got it all figured out huh? lol :cool:

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...That was the reason I used to propose extending the (G) to Staten Island, but not anymore. It's better to either leave the SIR as it is. Or if you want to go radical extend an existing railroad like the LIRR to Staten Island instead. The LIRR has the current Bay Ridge Branch so there is no need to construct any new infrastructure except the tunnel. Also a second benefit of the LIRR was discussed in a former thread. Since some Staten Islanders fear crime the high fares from the LIRR should prevent that from happening. Or that is what they think. Maybe if they have the money they can extend the current Bay Ridge Branch to an existing LIRR branch.

I have a better one for you....let extend the L all the way into SI and NJ!!!that will be awesome wouldn't it?:)

I know that, but during traffic jams if you are nearby you would smell the stuff coming off the roads. That's not good for your health.

Just because it smells bad doesn't meant its bad for you. The deadly gases usually don't have smells (like CO).

That whole area is so calm and pristine... I can't imagine a light rail anywhere near that park nor the golf course... Just doesn't belong there. It would ruin the character of the neighborhood. Better to put the X16 back... X16, X16, X16!!! :cool:

The North Shore Rail Line ran there before 1953 and the area was still pretty quiet.

Another concern would be safety. The SIR can be quite desolate in some areas, and that would be the case with the light rail in stretches of Richmond Ave too..

Regarding traffic, it's your proposal so I'll let you explain how you'd deal w/the problem.

The only stretch that is desolate is the part near the SI Mall. The rest of Richmond Avenue either has homes or businesses on it.

Jesus Christ. No one ever comes up with new ideas it's just the same shit over and over again, the same shit that doesn't work and has already been shot down and has no chance of happening in 200 years.

I also vote to lock.

You're right. There is no point in a bunch of threads repeating the same arguments and counterarguments.

And one thing they could start with is improving bus service... :cool: Relatively cheap and quick to implement in comparison to rail service.

Like I said, buses are good for the short term, but rail is better for the long term.

Just because it smells bad doesn't meant its bad for you. The deadly gases usually don't have smells (like CO).

But those unburned gasoline particles in the exhaust can't be good for your health, even if they aren't as bad as CO.

Like I said, buses are good for the short term, but rail is better for the long term.

But those unburned gasoline particles in the exhaust can't be good for your health, even if they aren't as bad as CO.

Just ask the businesses and residents on Second Ave how well the rail experiment has went... :) I used to go up there to Agata & Valentina regularly on 1st & 79th for their Italian imports, along with some spots on 2nd in the 80s... Now I avoid the Upper East Side/Yorkville area like the plague.

The North Shore Rail Line ran there before 1953 and the area was still pretty quiet.

The only stretch that is desolate is the part near the SI Mall. The rest of Richmond Avenue either has homes or businesses on it.

You're right. There is no point in a bunch of threads repeating the same arguments and counterarguments.

1. You're talking about 1953... This is 2010, soon to be 2011, almost 50 years later. Staten Island was much different then and the Verrazano bridge wasn't a reality yet.

2. Actually I was really referring to how dark it is in some spots, especially where there are lots of trees at. And yes, there are homes or businesses on it, but in certain stretches the homes are not on the immediate avenue or are not facing the immediate avenue, which doesn't help the situation.

Listen all I am trying to say, and accomplish people is a rapid transit idea to Staten Island, and recent proposals of mine even removed the NYC Subway. I am not trying to foam. I am again going to say this pro-rail, anti-auto, and pro-future. That is what all my maps where trying to accomplish. Besides it is to help Staten Island economically while in the end keeping it's original lifestyle.

...This has been done to death...

:lock: <-NOW!

The <R> has also been talked to death already. No matter what topic comes up, the <R> seems to appear as a solution in some form (even if the <R> is not explicitly mentioned).

Every time someone so much as hints about SI expansions, we start all over again. Do we really need 15 different threads where we go on about the same stupid crap?
Jesus Christ. No one ever comes up with new ideas it's just the same shit over and over again, the same shit that doesn't work and has already been shot down and has no chance of happening in 200 years.

I also vote to lock.

IAWTP 100%. This might be the 10th time I've read about something considering expansion into SI this past week, and it's all the same stuff over and over again. At least use the same thread so we don't have to read 5 different threads on the same topic...

wait a minute, this is a newer thread with the same subject matter... I thought this was the SI expansion thread I made a few replies in a while back... then again, I should've noticed the page count

I also vote to lock.

That's how I feel about these fantasy maps, and slowly, this whole section of the forum, unfortunately.....

There are a lot of interesting things that can be discussed in this hobby but people who claim to be interested in subways don't actually care about learning. it's just the same shit all the time.

-mostly crappy photos (some here take good ones, you know who you are) and a bunch of "nice pics" responses.

-bullshit questions like "which lines do you want to railfan?" or "which lines are the best?" or "which train do u like better" which start all kinds of stupid crap because people can't handle simple difference of opinion

-fantasy maps and proposed extensions that make no sense since there is no money and this stuff isn't feasible anyway. why people who have no shot in hell of making something happen want to sell other people who have no shot in hell of making something happen on their idea will always be beyond me

-useless crap fighting about car moves present and future. guess what even if you're right in 6 months that's all useless information anyway.

-mindless speculation about future car orders. who the hell cares you'll have 30-40 years to ride them when they get here but apparently for some the masturbation can't wait...

that's why for my part when someone has a serious question I try to answer it, especially the technical or historical stuff because there's a lot of things people can learn about the hobby but instead they'd rather play railfan fantasy map grabass. Beats me.

All I know is that this forum specifically was a lot better 2 years ago because there was more intelligent discussion going on.

But isn't the point of a fantasy map to express ideas about what the person thinks should happen in terms of expansions?

Personally, I think a forum for fantasy maps would be a great idea. Pretty much all ideas for new infrastructure should be moved to that forum. (Unless that infrastructure is physically being built, like the SAS or ESA)

Archived