The Future Second Avenue Subway Station Spacing

Roadcruiser1

I was arguing, and reading people's arguments about the spacing of stations along Second Avenue, and people were complaining that the stations are too far apart. Although I know that they are doing this to mimic an express line. I am just wondering if they were going to put extra stations where would they go. I also want to know if there are any provisions or ideas to build station shells if they are ever going to add express service to Second Avenue in the future.

I was arguing, and reading people's arguments about the spacing of stations along Second Avenue, and people were complaining that the stations are too far apart. Although I know that they are doing this to mimic an express line. I am just wondering if they were going to put extra stations where would they go. I also want to know if there are any provisions or ideas to build station shells if they are ever going to add express service to Second Avenue in the future.

Service to 2nd Ave on the weekends is TERRIBLE.

Well if they think the spacing is bad now, they should have seen the plan for it in the 70's. The original plan for the line once the late 60's/early 70' hit was for it to be built as two tracks with the provision to expand it to four tracks "easily" (once the 63rd st Tunnel was complete and once it was connected to the Bronx and Brooklyn) Since it was only being built with two tracks, which im assuming would have became the express tracks if the other two were built, the only stations proposed north of 63rd St were 125th and 86th st. I think south of 63rd,the only proposed stations were 59th and/or 42nd ,34th, 14th and Chatnam. The R-44's and 46's were built with such high speed capabilities specifically for service along this line, as well as the Queens Super Express bypass. I doubt their designing it with such provisions now, since all the stations are supposed to be island platforms. Unless they plan on building the express tracks under the local, like the Central Park West and Lexington Ave Lines. But lets be real, in our lifetime we probably won't see anything past Phase I be constructed, if that! Let alone express tracks...the subway building boom is over :-( ..sad but true.

I also want to know if there are any provisions or ideas to build station shells if they are ever going to add express service to Second Avenue in the future.

And how exactly do you think they would do that? Unlike all the other trunk lines, the SAS is being built by TBM's which will run deep below street level. Adding express service would mean boring two additional tunnels to provide for the two extra tracks.

Given the mind-boggling amount of money that has to be spent on building just a two track line - let alone whether we'll ever see a completed SAS in the future - the idea of adding express service to the SAS belongs in the realm of flying pigs...

It does, its like every 6-8 mins on the weekends maybe a lil bit more but that's still better than most lines that have a 10+ min wait

I've waited at West 4th street for a train for a good 20 minutes on a few occasions. I only take that when I go down to the Beer bar down at the Bowery and it's been a while, so maybe service has improved since then.

I've waited at West 4th street for a train for a good 20 minutes on a few occasions. I only take that when I go down to the Beer bar down at the Bowery and it's been a while, so maybe service has improved since then.

Define "a while".... b/c I think you're sayin that to C.Y.A.....

Either you had the worst of luck on your "few occasions", or you're exaggerating like hell to make a point....

I'm here to state to others on here, that service @ that station is no where close to what you're conveying...

I get off at West 4th street every weekday morning.... also some saturdays when I have to work... you don't wait no 20 minutes for a train (even w/ whatever GO's that happen to be in place along the 6th av line {which is more common than GO's on the 8th av line upstairs})....

waiting for an (F) can be (F)rustrating on the weekend, but I've still never waited upwards of 20 minutes for one...

....and you take/took the train to west 4th to head over to the Bowery ???

Well when you got +SBS+ on the M15, why should subway stations be any closer B)

Express service is a very minor concern considering the glacial pace of work on 2nd avenue. Let's just worry about getting THREE LOCAL STATIONS built to 96th street to take SOME pressure of the Lexington Avenue line.

Second levels under the planned route aren't going to happen. The cost to do so would be astronomical when compared to any possible benefits derived from it.

It can't be that long of a wait, unless something happened where the whole line was tied up. Otherwise, trains come & go in that station like water

A thread already exists for Second Avenue Subway discussion...it's only about a month old too. There's no point having like 5 different SAS threads...

The (D) stops closer to the Bowery than the (F) does.

I also say this latest 2 Av subway thread should be merged with the other recent active one. Listen, continuous progress on the current construction under 2 Av is the priority right now so lets focus on this phase finishing before 2020, hopefully.

In response to the headways on the F, they now run on 10 minute intervals on weekends, like almost every other B division line. Only the A and E on Saturdays and the L run more frequent service during weekend days.

Thank you Mark 1. I figured the (F) was okay on weekends.

I also say this latest 2 Av subway thread should be merged with the other recent active one. Listen, continuous progress on the current construction under 2 Av is the priority right now so lets focus on this phase finishing before 2020, hopefully.

In response to the headways on the F, they now run on 10 minute intervals on weekends, like almost every other B division line. Only the A and E on Saturdays and the L run more frequent service during weekend days.

Archived