Long Island Bus merging to MTA Bus in the coming weeks

m106crosstown

MTA Bus has confirmed that Long Island Bus will merge to MTA Bus in the next few weeks. They were on tour yesterday talking about the merger and buses. When they merge, the CNG buses will be overhauled and they may get rid of the 4-door in the front

Also, a Hybrid bus was on the N32 yesterday (yes an MTA Bus Hybrid). I don't know if it was in service but it had N32 Hempstead Bus Term via Central Av via Broadway as their route destination.

I had a feeling MTA Bus is taking them over because why would they purchase new buses for them?

MTA Bus has confirmed that Long Island Bus will merge to MTA Bus in the next few weeks. They were on tour yesterday talking about the merger and buses. When they merge, the CNG buses will be overhauled and they may get rid of the 4-door in the front

Also, a Hybrid bus was on the N32 yesterday (yes an MTA Bus Hybrid). I don't know if it was in service but it had N32 Hempstead Bus Term via Central Av via Broadway as their route destination.

I had a feeling MTA Bus is taking them over because why would they purchase new buses for them?

LIB will not get any hybirds,but they will Orion Vll NG CNG buses.

This is true that that they will be merging, but no confirmed date has been set yet. It is supposed to be announced in the next few weeks. The Hybrids will be testing on LIB routes because the powertrains and frame of the current Orion VII, and the Orion VII NG are vertually identical(except for the BAE HybriDrive System on course). As far as the new bus order, It has nothing to do with them merging. Remember it is all still (MTA) anyway. The major/main reason for the merger is to make MTA operations seamless, and to relieve Nassau County of it's MTA duties. The county (which owns the LIB) currently owes MTA more than $40 Million dollars in operating fees. As of now all MTA does is operate the buses, and depots. LIB has been in the process of an order for months, and the only thing they had left to decide is if they were going to purchase Orion V's or Orion VII's.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Now, at least you had the courtesy of saying the upcoming weeks. Thats a start.

Wanna know what shot down the other rumor, a well inadvance notice of takeover. Also, the merger was said to be on Tuesday! C'mon, think.

Like I said in the other thread, until I hear official word, I won't believe it yet.

Still won't believe it until I see it. By the way, a thread has already been created to oversee any sort of merger speculations and concerns:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478

Oh boy, here we go again.

Now, at least you had the courtesy of saying the upcoming weeks. Thats a start.

Wanna know what shot down the other rumor, a well inadvance notice of takeover. Also, the merger was said to be on Tuesday! C'mon, think.

Like I said in the other thread, until I hear official word, I won't believe it yet.

I said the same thing, but it is now ineviatble. As far as when, is really the only speculation and where the rumors are starting. We shall see........ BTW, my dude at Orion has also got word of the merger, and like I said IMO I think the only rumor now is when, but not if.

Well when they overhaul LIB buses, will they get S50G? And VII NG CNG buses exist?!?! :eek:

Unless MTA has a stash of DD's somewhere, they will be keeping the Cummins. DD does not produce transit bus engines any more. That era is dead. Sad, but true. And yep, the O7 NG CNG is real.

Orion VII CNGs sucks sausages. New Flyer CNGs are far superior. Take off like a diesel, not jerk like the Orion VII. I drove both by the way. 912, when doing 19-A recertification. Far roomier inside to.
That's the bus I always see in the Bronx! What you mean 19-A Recertification? :confused:

I have been pondering the reason why 3 of these C40LF's always visited the Bronx.

What you mean 19-A Recertification? :confused:

Every two years, around your B-day, you go to Zerega to get re-certified. You take a written test, then a 19-A dispatcher takes you out to drive. It's like a small version of the DMV test. (IIRC) 20 questions, and then you go out and drive (the MTA way). Doesn't matter since the MTA is doing, they can and have failed operators.

19-A certification is a NYS thing. It has to do with passenger endorsement and carrying passengers. Basically it's keeping your passenger endorsement valid in NYS.

Orion VII CNGs sucks sausages. New Flyer CNGs are far superior. Take off like a diesel, not jerk like the Orion VII. I drove both by the way. 912, when doing 19-A recertification. Far roomier inside to.
The reason why the VII jerks is because of the transmissions for it, they both don't shift that well. The ZF one jerks because theres 2 gears so close together, that RIGHT before the engine and turbo kicks in, it shifts. On the Allison one, it shifts at such a high RPM, that the engine and turbo's power taper off, and shifting makes it get that power back instantly, hence sometimes you see people loose balance when shifting to 3rd gear in particular.
Every two years, around your B-day, you go to Zerega to get re-certified. You take a written test, then a 19-A dispatcher takes you out to drive. It's like a small version of the DMV test. (IIRC) 20 questions, and then you go out and drive (the MTA way). Doesn't matter since the MTA is doing, they can and have failed operators.

19-A certification is a NYS thing. It has to do with passenger endorsement and carrying passengers. Basically it's keeping your passenger endorsement valid in NYS.

Ahh thanks! :D

Archived