R110 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 3000s are not the R110A those are the R110B. The 8001-8010 is the R110A.

I know which one is which, otherwise I would've never posted all those numbers lol

Correction

And I thought the cars couldnt be scrapped because of what they were funded with?

Ah, I see...and that's what I heard as well

[in case you're looking at this with no idea what I'm saying: R130 = original name for the R110A and R131 = original name for the R110B. The contracts are actually listed as R130 and R131.]

You've actually got that backwards.

R110A was the contract for the design of the car. R130 was the contract for the production of the car.

R110B was the contract for the design of the car. R131 was the contract for the production of the car.

In most circles however it is common to refer to them as R110A and B. In fact the TA's own publications and those of the manufacturers frequently make reference to the "R110 car program" etc.

Like this one:

ifprw2.jpg

You know I find it weird that they mentioned that it would be twice as reliable as any subway car when they barely lasted 40 years the average age of a typical subway car before scrapping. They only lasted anywhere between 8-10 years.

It was a test train, it wasn't meant to last long anyway

You know I find it weird that they mentioned that it would be twice as reliable as any subway car when they barely lasted 40 years the average age of a typical subway car before scrapping. They only lasted anywhere between 8-10 years.

I'm pretty sure the idea was to demonstrate technology that, when built at full scale, would last 40 years. Prototypes don't need to be the same as the final product.

The R110B had automated announcements too. Here is what both cars had from NYC Subway.org

Features of Both Trains

* Automatic audible announcements -- the train automatically announces details about the next stop, in a pleasant female voice. The announcements seemed to be robust in the face of unscheduled stops; perhaps they are now triggered by the driver, rather than automatically.

* New sounds when the doors close (probably due to new ADA regulations). There is a "Ding-Dong" and an announcement before the doors close, followed by "BEE-bee-BEE-bee-BEE-bee..." as the doors are closing.

* Computerized traction and braking control -- a single lever controls both acceleration and braking.

* AC Traction Motors controlled using choppers.

* Battery powered operation. Power from the third rail is used to charge batteries, from which power is drawn, converted to AC, and passed to the AC traction motors. This will allow trains to proceed to the next station (or back to the previous station) in case of a loss of third rail power.

* Air bag suspension. Compressors are used to inflate air bladders which are used instead of springs. A computer continuously monitors the train, adjusting the inflation of the bags and keeping the train level.

* Passenger alarm system. A pressure sensitive tape switch is mounted throughout the interior of each car. When pressed, the operator is notified, and a light on the outside of the car comes on, alerting police as to in which car the emergency exists. (this has already been installed in some cars on the (J) line).

* Door motors are now electronically controlled and use worm drive as opposed to the older lever style actuators. It is now impossible to force a door open once it is closed.

* Electronic route/destination signs (already on some R-44/46 cars), and synthesized voice station anouncements controlled from the cab.

* Automatic climate control. All Heating and Air-Conditioning is controlled automatically using a thermostat in each car. The cars switch automatically between heating and cooling as necessary.

* Exterior appearance. Both trains are in the now-standard stainless steel and glass.

You've actually got that backwards.

R110A was the contract for the design of the car. R130 was the contract for the production of the car.

R110B was the contract for the design of the car. R131 was the contract for the production of the car.

In most circles however it is common to refer to them as R110A and B. In fact the TA's own publications and those of the manufacturers frequently make reference to the "R110 car program" etc.

Like this one:

ifprw2.jpg

Nice man!! Was this an advert they had up or something?

Not foaming here, but why don't just take out the damaged, or bad parts for the R110A, and SMEE them to use R142 or R62 equipment, and for the R110B SMEE them so they can use R160 or R68 equipment it might work. The R110B were modeled after the R68, and the R110A were modeled after the R62.

Backwards, how so?

I'll go further into detail in case my original statement seemed odd.

The R110A fleet was funded by a contract (this is monetary, not production / design) titled R130. The R110B fleet was funded by a contract titled R131.

So, like I said, the original name for the cars were indeed R130 and R131.

Again, R110A and B were the contacts for the design of the cars. R130 and R131 were the contracts for the production of the cars.

The numbers go sequentially, so the lower the number the older and more "original" the contract number so to speak.

Plus every single document the TA uses in reference to these cars has mentioned the "R-110" designations. Go up to the Concourse line for example and check out the conductor's boards at those stations. They say "R110-B" right on the middle of them. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about on this one.

Not foaming here, but why don't just take out the damaged, or bad parts for the R110A, and SMEE them to use R142 or R62 equipment, and for the R110B SMEE them so they can use R160 or R68 equipment it might work. The R110B were modeled after the R68, and the R110A were modeled after the R62.

Because the cost of doing that (as well as the labor involved) would be more than the cost of new cars ordered in bulk, and would only provide a very small number of additional cars for service (and that doesn't include the money to repair the cars' bodies which have taken a bit of a beating over the years). In the case of the R110B's, they are 67 feet long, so that would mean they could only run in locations that still have the conductor's boards from the 1990's, so there wouldn't even be complete flexibility. Plus there aren't even enough R110B's to make a full length train at this point anyway.

Benefits > Costs = You do something

Costs > Benefits = You do not do something

The 110s is a solid case of the second example.

I see that difference between design and production, don't worry.

But, the funding for the programs came from a contract titled R130, and likewise R131.

I think it's just a matter of deciding what came first. I think of funding -> design -> production as the way that the storyline goes, but you may disagree. If so, then we'll just disagree on the matter.

I'm aware of those designations as well, but again, I think we just disagree in the chain of events that brought these cars to the system. I'll yield to your knowledge on most anything in the subway as you're on a different playing field than me, but I'm pretty confident on this and all of my information has come from an excellent source.

In TA land it's design, funding, production, in many instances. Think SOAC trains, or the many prototype buses the NYCT ran before actually purchasing and running those vehicles. You have to see beforehand if these prototypes are practical for use before the funding is allocated for production. I don't know of anyone in RTO or CED who has ever used the terms R130 and R131 for those prototypes although there may be documentation in the finance department of the parent agency that has that notation.

Archived