R110 Discussion

East New York

The SOAC trains were sponsored by the UMTA, and then acted as demonstrators around NYC, Cleveland, Chicago, Philly, and Boston. I don't really think of those as TA trains, no? That sort of struck me as a prototype made by somebody else that the TA got to run.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'll take the R32s as an example.

1) Budd wins a bid for stainless steel cars

+

2) The funding for the R32s (not the R32As) is laid out from a successful bond's proceeds

3) The designs are finalized

4) The cars are produced and gain a reputation as the jackrabbits of the system thanks to 10,000lbs saved in the switch to stainless steel

If I'm completely wrong, then I'm completely wrong, but that was I believe the process and is the general TA ordering process. But correct me if I'm making a mistake on this.

As far as the SOAC is concerned you're right, to a point. The US government sponsored the concept and local agencies and manufacturers worked from that design. IIRC you couldn't deviate too much from that basic concept if you wanted federal money to help purchase that type of car. BTW I also admire those R32s. As for your bullets 1 and 3 kind of supplement each other as you must issue a RFP and see which manufacturers will respond to it. The (MTA) will spec out which subway or rail car they need and Alstom, Bombardier, Kawasaki, or whatever will design a prototype on paper, then a mock-up, and run with it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be an interesting event (that the Transit Museum could put on, perhaps) if the R110A/B were put on public display at one of the yards or something. Not necessarily running them, but just showing people what the process is like of testing new subway cars. I think it would be quite interesting (and a definite trip for the fans).

I'm sure somewhere deep in the bowels of the MTA media archives there is even more footage of the R110s.

Anyway, all this stuff is pretty minute whether the funding contract is finalized before the bidding contract, and if the design is finalized before the funding. And I think that's actually pretty much all that SubwayGuy and I were debating over -- I think in the end we can say, back to point, that the R110A and R110B can alternately be called R130 and R131. That's for sure.

Yes it is quite minute. Trainmaster basically explained the process so I don't have to, but the bids do usually come first because before you can get funding you need to know what it's going to cost. The builders design the cars to meet the specs that the TA provides beforehand for the order (in the Request for Proposal, or RFP document - here is a sample one this is for the R179: http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/R-34179sol.pdf). True, the cars can be alternatively called R130 and R131 if one really insists just the same as other out of use designations like R142S, R40A, and R32A can be used by those devoted to them enough to insist on using them. However it's quite likely that someone using those designations wouldn't be understood by someone in the Car Equipment Dept. My stance on the matter is it's worth being aware of "alternate" designations in case someone uses them around you, but they're alternate for a reason.

After all you don't hear people talk about how they bought the new Marshall Mathers or Shawn Carter CD do you? B) But if they did it's better to be the one who knows what they're talking about than the one who doesn't.

I think it would be an interesting event (that the Transit Museum could put on, perhaps) if the R110A/B were put on public display at one of the yards or something. Not necessarily running them, but just showing people what the process is like of testing new subway cars. I think it would be quite interesting (and a definite trip for the fans).

Since the yards are not open to the public, any such display wouldn't be truly public. However as they've been moved around in recent years sometimes their locations in the yards lend themselves to being visible to the public, like with the R110A at Concourse Yard, the cars can be photographed from the overpass on Bedford Pk Blvd.

Since the yards are not open to the public, any such display wouldn't be truly public. However as they've been moved around in recent years sometimes their locations in the yards lend themselves to being visible to the public, like with the R110A at Concourse Yard, the cars can be photographed from the overpass on Bedford Pk Blvd.

True, but I mean one where the public can go inside the cars. I've never been on a yard tour, so I'm not aware of the protocol as such, but if, say, one of the cars was mounted next to a platform/siding with the doors opened, so people could walk around.

True, but I mean one where the public can go inside the cars. I've never been on a yard tour, so I'm not aware of the protocol as such, but if, say, one of the cars was mounted next to a platform/siding with the doors opened, so people could walk around.

That would not happen in a yard since TA policy states that yards are restricted areas and are only open to MTA employees and authorized visitors (which obviously doesn't include the general public).

If you're proposing setting them up somewhere in the system as a display, like at an unused station platform, the cars would get vandalized. Plus many nonrevenue tracks need to be kept open for work train moves and transfers so that would be nothing but a nuisance.

Well the (MTA) could extend the museum either by making extra platforms, or build a high rise building by the Court Street Station, and store the trains in there, and make that part of the Museum too. Something like the Henry Ford Museum. It would work.

How in the hell would trains be able to be stored in a high-rise building?

They will be driven into the building by trucks, and hauled up to a specific floor with a special elevator. Or a better idea would be a really long building, and the train cars would be move to a specific location. Of course though the tall building would require less people from being relocated, but if it doesn't work out then a lot of people would have to be relocated for a really long building.

Well the (MTA) could extend the museum either by making extra platforms, or build a high rise building by the Court Street Station, and store the trains in there, and make that part of the Museum too. Something like the Henry Ford Museum. It would work.

Tell me, where are they going to build this building? As in, what are you going to tear down first? And how are you going to explain this whole concept to the people you dislocate?

Guest lance25

Why would the (MTA) build a high-rise for two cars? Not even two train, but just two cars. Plus, the H. Ford Museum hosts cars, which can easily be transported there, whereas if, and that's a big if, some type of building that houses train cars was built, the trains would have a hard time getting to and from the museum for maintenance.

It's not to just house two types of trains. It would hold a lot more then that, and they would be maintained inside the building. Plus the trains aren't going anywhere once they are in they are never coming out. They would literally be put on display like a dinosaur standing on a platform. They would just be put on a podium with tracks on it where they would literally just sit there. Also like I mentioned if it's a tall building the train would literally be disassembled, and reassembled inside the building.

Archived