About switch/signal problems

6 Lexington Ave

Why do they occur so often around the system? Is it because of its age? Can't something be done so that they don't occur so often?

There will be some ongoing signal upgrades and repairs. I haven't posted on it yet, but I will soon since you brought it up.:tup:

Why do they occur so often around the system? Is it because of its age? Can't something be done so that they don't occur so often?

They're old and they're not being maintained as they should be. I'll also add that there has been an ongoing focus by the media for several weeks about falsified reports completed by MTA workers that were supposed to be "inspecting" the signals to make sure that they were working properly. The MTA claims that despite the avalanche of falsified reports, that safety is not an issue since an overide system would kick in should there be a malfunction with any signal.

Nevertheless, it seems as if yet again no one is accountable at the MTA for this rampid corruption and stealing of MTA dollars at the expense and safety of riders. So far the MTA is still baffled at how to find those who were responsible. :) The question is what is the MTA doing to rectify the problem and how worse will this constant almost daily issue of signal problems become?????

Today on my first ride after the (F)'s services changes, the (F) I was on was approaching a signal a around 40 mph not far south of 7 Avenue. The signals were all green ahead but about a few yards away, the signal jumped to red. This happened at about 4:30pm, and the train operator took about 5 minutes to fix and report the problem via radio. Apparently, the radio quality sucked down there on the express track.

• 3 months later...
A few more questions: what causes signal problems? how are they resolved? when there's such a problem, do the signals just stop working? how much of a delay can be caused because of them?

From what I've noticed, after the initial train goes by it (and eventually trips it), they call it in to the neareat tower. Then the trains behind it key by it (if it isn't hooked down) going real slow until a crew comes to check what's wrong with it. Usually at that time, trains are rerouted onto other lines (if possible, if not service is just suspened) so said signal can be fixed quickly. After the signal crews give the ok, everything goes back to normal.

...That is until the next signal messes up

Today on my first ride after the (F)'s services changes, the (F) I was on was approaching a signal a around 40 mph not far south of 7 Avenue. The signals were all green ahead but about a few yards away, the signal jumped to red. This happened at about 4:30pm, and the train operator took about 5 minutes to fix and report the problem via radio. Apparently, the radio quality sucked down there on the express track.

There new RADIO's suck there made but ICOM not by VERTEX any more

Word lol. But they have GPS tracking on them so they can track the radio.

The TA bought over 9,000 of them and they are the worst radio ever. The old Bendix Kings were better radios. Also, they have the capability to be GPS tracked and killed, but I don't know if it's in use.

The TA bought over 9,000 of them and they are the worst radio ever. The old Bendix Kings were better radios. Also, they have the capability to be GPS tracked and killed, but I don't know if it's in use.

Wow.. that's a lot of radios. However, I liked their Vertex Standard radios. Those were good work horse radios, but the only downside about them is that people take advantage of the GE Star at the end and use it to annoy the hell out of people. But that's the same story with the MDC 1200 on these new pieces of crap.

What makes the new radios so shitty?

They're pretty cheap... And they're not durable at all, compared to the old Vertex Standard radios.

We were all hoping for small, TSS sized radios. (hald the size of the ones they give us). These are pretty much the same size.

The benefit is that you can see how much charge is left in the battery. The Vertex, it just dies on you, no notice, just a sudden, electronic sound (the old Bendix gave some warning, and you could jiggle it to get some more life out if it)

We were all hoping for small, TSS sized radios. (hald the size of the ones they give us). These are pretty much the same size.

The benefit is that you can see how much charge is left in the battery. The Vertex, it just dies on you, no notice, just a sudden, electronic sound (the old Bendix gave some warning, and you could jiggle it to get some more life out if it)

Yeah, everyone that I spoke to about the new radios hoped they had a TSS sized radio. But on the old Vertex Standard radio, the red light would blink when the battery is low, which is some kind of warning about a low battery. But when that happens when you're en route and not even half done, you're screwed.

Yeah, everyone that I spoke to about the new radios hoped they had a TSS sized radio. But on the old Vertex Standard radio, the red light would blink when the battery is low, which is some kind of warning about a low battery. But when that happens when you're en route and not even half done, you're screwed.

Secure the train and find a WORKING wayside telephone. That's if your C/Rs radio and the onboard radio is not working. Dead spot? You're screwed. Start walking.

But it also blinked when someone was transmitting. So it was hard to tell. Now, transmission is marked by a green light on top.

But it also blinked when someone was transmitting. So it was hard to tell. Now, transmission is marked by a green light on top.

The red light is supposed to stay solid when someone's transmitting. The radio is putting out power while it is transmitting and the battery voltage tends to go down when you're transmitting and then go back up after you finish transmitting. When the radio detects that the battery is below 6V, it will blink. So while someone's transmitting, the battery dropped below 6V, causing the red light to blink rather than stay solid.

Most of the time it is, but there are some times where it isnt

MOST OF THE TIME IT ISNT!! IF thats was the case, THEY WOULD GET FIXED A HELL OF A LOT FASTER BUT THEY RARELY EVER DIVERT SERVICE....IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A SWITCH PROBLEM......

they fail mostly because of the conditions down there..........there usually always a water condition and tons of steel dust....so everything is susectable to failure

Archived