Subway cars and rust

Via Garibaldi 8

Another factor for the older cars, including the SMEEs was the use of acid baths in the early 1980s to wash off graffiti. The IRT LAHT SMEEs were treated with heavy acid and this often accelerated corrosion in the later 1990s.

That's not really true, if you look at the R21/22s that had been turned into collectors, they don't have the same rust problems that the later redbirds had. On the R26 thru R36, the steel around the door pockets rots out while on the older SMEE cars, they don't have that problem. Even the R17 at Branford, 6688 which lives outside is in better condition then the R33/36s. The reason is, the R26 thru R36 cars used cheaper steel, that's why the bodies are shitty.

You're saying the R142s... They don't have any rust problems?? Maybe you're right, but from what I can see especially on the sides towards the end of each car some of them seem to have a great deal of rust. :eek:

I know this may sound stupid, but I was thinking they could buff out some areas that are in bad shape, i.e. areas w/grafitti? Is that possible?

I'm not just saying that for the R142s, I'm saying this for all the NTTs. That brown you see IS NOT RUST. It is steel dust or the remnants of graffiti that has been buffed. The NTTs have a rough finish which traps the grime. Also, the ends of the car can't have rust, there made from reinforced fiberglass, which since it's not metal and it's painted, can't rust.

I'm not just saying that for the R142s, I'm saying this for all the NTTs. That brown you see IS NOT RUST. It is steel dust or the remnants of graffiti that has been buffed. The NTTs have a rough finish which traps the grime. Also, the ends of the car can't have rust, there made from reinforced fiberglass, which since it's not metal and it's painted, can't rust.

What about the other R142 cars that don't have the reinforced fiberglass?? The cars in between...?

I believe this one is a pic of an R142A, but you see what I mean there towards the bottom of car 7794 where the #2 appears...? Is that rust or steel dust in between the car?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/R142A_4_Train_Motor_Trailer_Truck_Comparison.JPG

What about the other R142 cars that don't have the reinforced fiberglass?? The cars in between...?

I believe this one is a pic of an R142A, but you see what I mean there towards the bottom of car 7794 where the #2 appears...? Is that rust or steel dust in between the car?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/R142A_4_Train_Motor_Trailer_Truck_Comparison.JPG

The blind end bonnets (as well as the front end bonnets) are fiberglass, not stainless steel. So yes, that is in fact steel dust since fiberglass can't rust anyway.

Why does it get so bad particularly in that area of the subway car??

have you ever been in a subway tunnel? There not water proof and all kinds of sh*t leaks into them and gets on the cars. Hell. someone my have thrown up between cars. But no matter what it is, IT IS NOT RUST.

have you ever been in a subway tunnel? There not water proof and all kinds of sh*t leaks into them and gets on the cars. Hell. someone my have thrown up between cars. But no matter what it is, IT IS NOT RUST.

I'm a bus fan, so I only ride the subway when I have to. That's why I asked... :)

Why does it get so bad particularly in that area of the subway car??

Look at where the wheels of the car (which generate and kick up much of the steel dust in the subway) are. Then look at where that one spot of the car is.

There is a relationship between the two.

Some of the R160s on the (E) and (F) have graffiti tags that have been cleaned off but it leaves traces that makes it noticeable to the eye that they did a shoddy job trying to take it off.

Jamaica paints them now...makes them look worse. did you take a look at cars 9848-9852? its always on the (F) line. those cars look bad.

Yeah, I'm not really a camera person so I don't know what the technical reason is, but I've never seen the LED's at the front or rear being defective in real life, so I am assuming the person is just talking about photographs. But power to you if you know the technical reason why those things photograph so poorly.

That involves the refresh rate of the LED sign. The sign refreshes at a faster rate than the human eye, but if your camera shutter speed is too high, then you'll catch it mid refresh and it'll look messed up. But that's more prevalent with the R142s than the other NTTs (not saying the "issue" isn't prevalent with the R160s).

Archived