Brooklynites Ask For Bus Line Extension To Replace F, G Train Service

LRG

You know, people need to just deal with service changes like this. No one in rockaway or along the brighten line has complained about having to backtrack for service. When the Mott ave bound side of Beach 60th St was closed, passengers had to ride to Beach 44th St and wait for a Manhattan bound train for up to 20 mins. and thats while just missing the Manhattan bound. Everyone wants their stations to be updated but are never willing to deal with the temporary sacrifice needed. Riders in Park slope have one of the shortest commutes to manhattan. SO they have to travel one or two stops to head back. Sorry, No sympathy here. And if they get that bus extension, Then they need to bring back the Q21A in Rockaway while the station rehabs continue!!

See, comments like what i just wrote above will increase if the MTA folds just for park slope riders.

If the MTA does it for one, then they have to do it for all... However, I beg to differ regarding Far Rockaway residents complaining. They aren't happy w/the situation, but maybe they don't have as much clout as the folks in Park Slope...

Sorry Garibaldi 8 I got disagree with the B68 extension. As someone who used to live in SW Brooklyn and a former 'regular' rider of both the (F) line and the (B68) it's not a great idea. Like many bus lines in NYC, the (B68) espeically during school days/rush hours suffers from bus bunching and delays.

Plus the trip from Stillwell Terminal-Coney Island to the 15th St-Propsect Park station is already about close to an hour on a regular trip.

The (B61) and (B69)although their headways are not great does already runs between 15th-Propsect Park and the 7th Ave-Park Slope station.

A Better idea and compromise was the oringal idea by the (MTA) that was taken off due to the budget cuts. A shuttle bus along 9th Street running between 15th-PPW and the Smith-9th Street stations. Also the (B71) before it died as result of the June 2010 'Doomsday' Cuts was proposed to be extended to South Ferry in Lower Manhattan via the Battery Tunnel.

So in a nutshell a 9th Street shuttle bus running weekdays 6am-Midnight between Smith-9th and 15th-Propsect Park makes the most sense here. Guys I don't think a possible 9th St shuttle bus needs to run weekends/overnights as I believe the (B61) could just have added service during off peak.

Or as some here already suggested riders at Smith-9th and 15th-PPW and Ft Hamilton could take a Downtown (F) or (G) to the next express stop and ride back to Manhattan. Or later on in the project get off at either 7th Ave or Church Ave and take a Manhattan Bound (F) or (G) for bypassed stops.

Just my takes.

I've taken the B68 back in the day and bunching for some reason is a problem despite the fact of how wide Coney Island Ave is. I'm not going to say that they absolutely need a shuttle bus, but heck, they should certainly fight to get a shuttle or something to alleviate the problem if possible. As someone else said, if they fight hard enough, the MTA may give in.

Remember when the MTA gave Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights residents the X27 and X28 due to work along the R line? When that work was completed, they wanted to yank those buses back and residents tooth and nail to keep them and their representatives contributed the money to keep the service. Granted they've lost weekend service, but they still have pretty good weekday service.

I've taken the B68 back in the day and bunching for some reason is a problem despite the fact of how wide Coney Island Ave is. I'm not going to say that they absolutely need a shuttle bus, but heck, they should certainly fight to get a shuttle or something to alleviate the problem if possible. As someone else said, if they fight hard enough, the MTA may give in.

Remember when the MTA gave Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights residents the X27 and X28 due to work along the R line? When that work was completed, they wanted to yank those buses back and residents tooth and nail to keep them and their representatives contributed the money to keep the service. Granted they've lost weekend service, but they still have pretty good weekday service.

Intresting points buddy. FYI Correction. The X27/28/ and the old X-29 always existed as far as I remember going back to the early 1980's as 'rush hour' only routes.

The (MTA) gave SW Brooklyn expanded weekday and later weekend X27/28 service starting in the early 1990's, due to both the (R) line and Manhattan Bridge work.

Intresting points buddy. FYI Correction. The X27/28/ and the old X-29 always existed as far as I remember going back to the early 1980's as 'rush hour' only routes.

The (MTA) gave SW Brooklyn expanded weekday and later weekend X27/28 service starting in the early 1990's, due to both the (R) line and Manhattan Bridge work.

The funds given by the reps. was really to maintain the off peak service...

If the MTA does it for one, then they have to do it for all... However, I beg to differ regarding Far Rockaway residents complaining. They aren't happy w/the situation, but maybe they don't have as much clout as the folks in Park Slope...

As a 20 year of resident, i KNOW there's complaining. But not the media coverage of the complaining as park slope. We deal with it. We're just happy something positive is being done! The last renovations in the 90's were IMO, half-a$$ed. The stations that are almost completed are looking really nice! But the point is, Park Slope has so many advantages compared to most of the city. We're all New Yorkers. And as New Yorkers. we all need to just deal! Their commute isnt an average one hour +!

You know, people need to just deal with service changes like this. No one in rockaway or along the brighten line has complained about having to backtrack for service. When the Mott ave bound side of Beach 60th St was closed, passengers had to ride to Beach 44th St and wait for a Manhattan bound train for up to 20 mins. and thats while just missing the Manhattan bound. Everyone wants their stations to be updated but are never willing to deal with the temporary sacrifice needed. Riders in Park slope have one of the shortest commutes to manhattan. SO they have to travel one or two stops to head back. Sorry, No sympathy here. And if they get that bus extension, Then they need to bring back the Q21A in Rockaway while the station rehabs continue!!

See, comments like what i just wrote above will increase if the MTA folds just for park slope riders.

As a 20 year of resident, i KNOW there's complaining. But not the media coverage of the complaining as park slope. We deal with it. We're just happy something positive is being done! The last renovations in the 90's were IMO, half-a$$ed. The stations that are almost completed are looking really nice! But the point is, Park Slope has so many advantages compared to most of the city. We're all New Yorkers. And as New Yorkers. we all need to just deal! Their commute isnt an average one hour +!

So you guys are saying that Park Slope residents shouldn't complain and try to get some sort of increased service because Brightion riders and residents of the Rockaways didn't? That's beyond ridiculous, why should we (I live in Park Slope) use what ever "clout" we have to get what we want? Plenty of other neighborhoods do this all the time.

So you guys are saying that Park Slope residents shouldn't complain and try to get some sort of increased service because Brightion riders and residents of the Rockaways didn't? That's beyond ridiculous, why should we (I live in Park Slope) use what ever "clout" we have to get what we want? Plenty of other neighborhoods do this all the time.

What I said was that the MTA probably DOESN'T want to do it because they would have to do it for other communities. Otherwise other residents would wonder why special service could be run in Park Slope and not in their backyards. However, I said that you guys should fight for the special service given the MTA's track record of delayed construction projects and also because commuting times continue to rise.

I find it interesting how the MTA has focused on the M15 SBS so much and how they've been able to reduce travel times on that line, yet travel times continue to rise for others on their bus and subway line. They put in more buses to decrease wait times on that line and have added several other perks, which I'm sure weren't exactly cheap. So in sum, what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

i would do the extention of the bus. i would have done the following:

Option 1) B57 bus can be extended from Court St/W 9 St to Church Av-Mc.Donald Av (F)(G). (i highly doubt this would happen because the B57 already has a long route between Smith-9 St to Maspeth, Queens. Im surprised its running to/from Smith-9 Sts.)

Option 2) B61 bus can be extended from its current terminal in Park Slope to Church Av-Mc.Donald Av (F)(G).

Option 3) B68 bus can be extended from the Prospect Park-15 St (F)(G) station to 8 Ave (7 Av (F)(G)) station. but what about the Fort Hamilton Pkwy station? (This is where the overnight B67 bus service should take place.)

what u guys think?

Please read and think. What im saying is youre not the only ones and defiantly dont have it worse. Brighton and Rockaway are examples of neighborhoods who have also suffered though similar. My first coment is an example of what a rockaway resident could say. Yes, I live in rockaway. What i said is a good example because of that fact. What about residents along the L who lost an average of half that line during CBTC installation? The Culver Viaduct is only, yes, ONLY affecting 2 stops in between crossover opportunities. It could be worse. Its very much needed work, Its going to be finished in a reasonably good amount of time and its not like you have the longest commute. Now if this was something permanent, like the doomsday cuts, Then i would say lead the Charge. But its not and like all of us, in a short time, we will adapt, leave a little earlier, and get use to it. Its not an insult. Its not a "stop your crying" post. Its a "its not that bad and it could be worse'.

Please read and think. What im saying is youre not the only ones and defiantly dont have it worse. Brighton and Rockaway are examples of neighborhoods who have also suffered though similar. My first coment is an example of what a rockaway resident could say. Yes, I live in rockaway. What i said is a good example because of that fact. What about residents along the L who lost an average of half that line during CBTC installation? The Culver Viaduct is only, yes, ONLY affecting 2 stops in between crossover opportunities. It could be worse. Its very much needed work, Its going to be finished in a reasonably good amount of time and its not like you have the longest commute. Now if this was something permanent, like the doomsday cuts, Then i would say lead the Charge. But its not and like all of us, in a short time, we will adapt, leave a little earlier, and get use to it. Its not an insult. Its not a "stop your crying" post. Its a "its not that bad and it could be worse'.

Ok and... just because we don't have it as bad we shouldn't at least try to get extra service? Just because other areas had it worse doesn't mean we can get extra service or shouldn't ask. By the way, I spoke to someone at Ops. Planning who said there is nothing that can be done anyway. Also, who said anything about the work not being important, everyone in Park Slope that takes the (F) line knows it's needed.

The F-line as it has been operated in Brooklyn for the past few decades is an all local line - every train makes every stop, there's no express service.

With every subway renovation or improvement, there is a period of service changes and adjustments. Now some folks, no matter where they live or what they do - they just do not like change, especially changes that upset their usual routine. Other folks handle change better, looking at how to get what they need done in light of the changes.

Now there the various interests - the public interest, the personal interest of individual people, the community's stated interest, the community's real interests, the TA's interest, etc. Each of these entities often debate in the public sphere - attempting to express and to get their interests to prevail in the public debate - thus to influence / change / modify public policy, and public actions. Plain english - everybody tries to get what they want.

Even transit fans have interests that they wish to express and prevail upon.

Just keeping it in perspective.

Mike

i would do the extention of the bus. i would have done the following:

Option 1) B57 bus can be extended from Court St/W 9 St to Church Av-Mc.Donald Av (F)(G). (i highly doubt this would happen because the B57 already has a long route between Smith-9 St to Maspeth, Queens. Im surprised its running to/from Smith-9 Sts.)

Option 2) B61 bus can be extended from its current terminal in Park Slope to Church Av-Mc.Donald Av (F)(G).

Option 3) B68 bus can be extended from the Prospect Park-15 St (F)(G) station to 8 Ave (7 Av (F)(G)) station. but what about the Fort Hamilton Pkwy station? (This is where the overnight B67 bus service should take place.)

what u guys think?

Those aren't bad ideas at all, but it would be a scheduling nightmare.

Why not just run a couple shuttle buses between the affected stations, and call it a day?

Those aren't bad ideas at all, but it would be a scheduling nightmare.

Why not just run a couple shuttle buses between the affected stations, and call it a day?

Agreed. As i stated earlier run the shuttle buses between Smith-9th Sts. and 15th-Prospect Park weekdays only 6am-11pm. All other times take the (B61) bus or just 'backtrack' as alternatives.

Ft. Hamilton Pwy riders could just go back, 1-stop to Church Ave and don't need the shuttle bus IMO. Or they can walk to the nearby B68 as well on PPSW.(Prospect Park Southwest/15th Street)

That's what I say...

all this about extending the B61 or the B68... although unfortunate for the commuter affected by the subway construction, you don't extend routes temporarily for that purpose....

You'll commence a situation where unaffected riders will get into a routine where a route serves one area... they utilize it... then when construction on a subway line (in this case, the (F)(G)) is completed, those riders that may benefit from the temporarily extended route will feel like they're getting pigeonholed....

^^ for example, say the 68 was extended to park slope somewhere.. some rider that gets on @ CI av/Foster av or something, realizes that those buses now travel past pritchard sq.... person starts taking the B68 to park slope (not b/c of what's going on w/ the F/G)... but when construction is done with, and the 68 gets (what would be deemed as) "cut back" to where it originally terminated in the first place, then the feelings of uneasiness (and downright feeling screwed) starts to rear its head....

FWIW, the B3K was nothin more than a shuttle that had a route number designated to it...

I don't see why somethin similar cant be done for the affected riders....

Good article. What is the big deal with extending the B68 if it becomes popular anyway? I mean are we really talking about a huge expense for the MTA? You know I really don't get them. Here we are in NYC where we should be encouraging people not to use their cars and it seems like the MTA is doing their best to force people to use them or buy one in a city already congested with too much traffic. :o Between the service cuts and endless fare raises that's exactly what's going to happen.

Good article. What is the big deal with extending the B68 if it becomes popular anyway? I mean are we really talking about a huge expense for the MTA? You know I really don't get them. Here we are in NYC where we should be encouraging people not to use their cars and it seems like the MTA is doing their best to force people to use them or buy one in a city already congested with too much traffic. :) Between the service cuts and endless fare raises that's exactly what's going to happen.

There is no point in extending a route that the subway will cover when service is restored. Shuttle buses would do just fine. Besides that, I dont see an extension being that popular at all.

The question is: Is it really that terrible if the B68 has to maintain the service to 7th Avenue? It is only a 3 minute extension, and it would connect with the B67, as well as serve Methodist Hospital.

So what it all comes down to is: Is the ridership of this extension going to be enough to be worth keeping, or not? If it isn't, then, yes, shuttle buses should be used.

The question is: Is it really that terrible if the B68 has to maintain the service to 7th Avenue? It is only a 3 minute extension, and it would connect with the B67, as well as serve Methodist Hospital.

So what it all comes down to is: Is the ridership of this extension going to be enough to be worth keeping, or not? If it isn't, then, yes, shuttle buses should be used.

And where do you terminate the B68 if did it go to 7th Ave/9th St or the routing it would take? Plus the area around Methodist is already hell to park. That why IMO it's best to just run a shuttle bus and increased (B61) for the rest of the project.

Archived