Dark Knight Rises: Anne Hathaway will be Catwoman, Tom Hardy is Bane

Forest Glen

Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle, the slinky and savage outlaw who is known as Catwoman, in next year’s Christopher Nolan film “The Dark Knight Rises,” according to a press release from Warner Bros.

Tom Hardy, already announced as a cast member, will play Bane, the chemically created brute who first appeared in the comics in 1993 — making him a far “younger” villain for Nolan’s Batman mega-franchise, which has most prominently featured the Joker (who first appeared in 1940) , Two-Face (1942), Ras Al-Ghul (1971) and the Scarecrow (1941).

Catwoman — then just called “The Cat” – first appeared in 1940 as the creation of Bob Kane and Bill Finger, and she has brought leather-clad sexual tension to the Batman adventures both on the page and beyond; she was portrayed by Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriwether on the 1960s television series starring Adam West as the caped crusader, and Michelle Pfeiffer memorably cracked the whip in the role opposite of the masked Michael Keaton in Tim Burton’s 1992 film “Batman Returns.” In 2004, Halle Berry starred in the character’s own solo film, “Catwoman,” but the film became an infamous flop and was jeered by comic-book fans after director Pitof jettisoned years of comic-book lore and character touchstones.

Nolan, in the Warner press release, said: “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.” Of Hardy, who worked with Nolan on “Inception,” the director said: “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.”

Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with his brother, Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his wife and longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. “The Dark Knight Rises” hits theaters on July 20, 2012.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/01/19/anne-hathaway-will-be-catwoman-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

I hope they do a much better job with Bane in this movie than they did in the calamity known as Batman 4.

Being a true Batman fan since I was like 4-5 years old, I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Batman & Robin (Batman 4) was mostly a kids type movie. So the characters and the scenery were not all that good compared to the Original Batman movies like the ones with Michael Keaton. But out of those kiddy type movies, Batman Forever was the best one with Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman & Jim Carrey.

But about this movie, it sounds like its actually coinciding with the new game thats coming out which is Batman : Arkham City. What I am hearing for this movie is that Dr. Hugo Strange is going to be the main villain in this movie. This would be really interesting because in the comic books & the animated series, he only had a small role which was a big one, finding out Bruce Wayne's secret identity.

Personally, I would've loved to have seen The Riddler as the main bad guy in this movie. There would have been so many twists and turns that would've made the movie so complex and amazing all at once. But of course, the new movie has not come out yet. And with Christopher Nolan at the helm of the production and directing, this movie will not disappoint!

The one thing that is etched in my mind currently is that they will have to try and phase through The Joker in such a way, like in The Dark Knight, they phased out The Scarecrow in the beginning, but we'll see what happens. I can't wait till this release!

Being a true Batman fan since I was like 4-5 years old, I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Batman & Robin (Batman 4) was mostly a kids type movie. So the characters and the scenery were not all that good compared to the Original Batman movies like the ones with Michael Keaton. But out of those kiddy type movies, Batman Forever was the best one with Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman & Jim Carrey.

But about this movie, it sounds like its actually coinciding with the new game thats coming out which is Batman : Arkham City. What I am hearing for this movie is that Dr. Hugo Strange is going to be the main villain in this movie. This would be really interesting because in the comic books & the animated series, he only had a small role which was a big one, finding out Bruce Wayne's secret identity.

Personally, I would've loved to have seen The Riddler as the main bad guy in this movie. There would have been so many twists and turns that would've made the movie so complex and amazing all at once. But of course, the new movie has not come out yet. And with Christopher Nolan at the helm of the production and directing, this movie will not disappoint!

The one thing that is etched in my mind currently is that they will have to try and phase through The Joker in such a way, like in The Dark Knight, they phased out The Scarecrow in the beginning, but we'll see what happens. I can't wait till this release!

I agree. Since the Batman movie series began 20 years ago in 1989, the first Batman and 'Batman Forever' are the best so far. "Dark Knight' was descent but IMO way too violent for young children to see.:P

As a Batman fan, Cait did you like the classic TV show that first came out in the late 1960's?

I agree. Since the Batman movie series began 20 years ago in 1989, the first Batman and 'Batman Forever' are the best so far. "Dark Knight' was descent but IMO way too violent for young children to see.:P

As a Batman fan, Cait did you like the classic TV show that first came out in the late 1960's?

With Adam West? Seen those.

Descent? The Dark Knight IMHO was the best.

Too violent? The movie was rated PG-13 (like that means anything anymore anyway). Viewer beware.

Out of all the movies, The Dark Knight & The Michael Keaton Batman movies are on top. And you brought up a good point, that damn movie was PG-13, there was no blood or anything in the movie from what I can remember. If anyone says that Two-Face's look was too gruesome, you have no testicular fortitude and you're just too sensitive....

Can't wait until this film comes out. When I saw the Dark Knight I was seriously impressed like never before in my entire life. The Dark Knight deserves a AAA+.

Same here, saw the movie on the midnight release with our advanced showing tickets. Currently own copies of the movies with all the different cover arts.

Oh, and to also prove how much of a Batman fan I am. Here's what I got for Christmas, probably the best gift ever!

167886_10150153794729348_689259347_8275588_4636711_n.jpg

Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were great,the movies really showed the dark side of Gotham city.Micheal Keaton played Bruce Wayne/Batman spot-on.Batman Forever and Batman&Robin just wern't as good as the first two,i liked Batman Forever better cause of Jim Carry and Tommy Lee Jones who played the Riddler and Two-Face great.Nolan did a great job telling the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman and the Dark Knight was a hell of a movie.i can't wait to see the Dark Knight Rising.

Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were great,the movies really showed the dark side of Gotham city.Micheal Keaton played Bruce Wayne/Batman spot-on.Batman Forever and Batman&Robin just wern't as good as the first two,i liked Batman Forever better cause of Jim Carry and Tommy Lee Jones who played the Riddler and Two-Face great.Nolan did a great job telling the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman and the Dark Knight was a hell of a movie.i can't wait to see the Dark Knight Rising.

It's mostly because Batman Forever & Batman & Robin were aiming towards the kids, they made it more kid-friendly. I personally loved Batman Forever, but Batman & Robin was terrible.

It's mostly because Batman Forever & Batman & Robin were aiming towards the kids, they made it more kid-friendly. I personally loved Batman Forever, but Batman & Robin was terrible.

True,(my opinion)those two movies just didn't look into the dark past of Bruce Wayne and Gotham City like Batman and Batman Begins did.those are two aspects of Batman i like the most.

Out of all the movies, The Dark Knight & The Michael Keaton Batman movies are on top. And you brought up a good point, that damn movie was PG-13, there was no blood or anything in the movie from what I can remember. If anyone says that Two-Face's look was too gruesome, you have no testicular fortitude and you're just too sensitive....

Same here, saw the movie on the midnight release with our advanced showing tickets. Currently own copies of the movies with all the different cover arts.

Oh, and to also prove how much of a Batman fan I am. Here's what I got for Christmas, probably the best gift ever!

167886_10150153794729348_689259347_8275588_4636711_n.jpg

Not meant to be rude Cait but I do have a young 3-year old niece and 9-year old Nephew. That what i was stating IMO that the Dark Knight was not suited for young kids. I was not talking anyone else ages 12 and over.:D

That my point.

Not meant to be rude Cait but I do have a young 3-year old niece and 9-year old Nephew. That what i was stating IMO that the Dark Knight was not suited for young kids. I was not talking anyone else ages 12 and over.:D

That my point.

Thats in your opinion, when I went to see the movie, I saw a bunch of parents with their kids out there with them watching the movie. Though you do realize that every Batman movie has extensive and somewhat graphic fighting scenes right? So thats just a moot point.

When the name "Batman" comes into play, you should know what you and your little ones are getting into....again, just sensitive!

Thats in your opinion, when I went to see the movie, I saw a bunch of parents with their kids out there with them watching the movie. Though you do realize that every Batman movie has extensive and somewhat graphic fighting scenes right? So thats just a moot point.

When the name "Batman" comes into play, you should know what you and your little ones are getting into....again, just sensitive!

We can agree to disagree. I like Batman (not a hardcore fan)but working as a teacher the last couple of years, maybe i am more sensative to that stuff especially with my nieces/newphews.

I personally don't agree with parents taking their kids (i.e under age 8-9)but that none of my business and I know of other parents of very young kids who feel the same way. We can agree though Cait the whole movie rating system is now a joke though.

We can agree to disagree. I like Batman (not a hardcore fan)but working as a teacher the last couple of years, maybe i am more sensative to that stuff especially with my nieces/newphews.

I personally don't agree with parents taking their kids (i.e under age 8-9)but that none of my business and I know of other parents of very young kids who feel the same way. We can agree though Cait the whole movie rating system is now a joke though.

Yep, movies and T.V alike, it sucks.

We can agree though Cait the whole movie rating system is now a joke though.
The TV Parental Guidelines is an absolute joke, including the way how Network Television channels rate movies. Some '80 films with a PG rating are rated to TV-14 for televised airings. A few PG-13 films, no matter when it came out, are rated down to TV-PG if the content doesn't warrant a TV-14 rating. (Most are rated TV-14 otherwise) R-rated films are rated down to TV-14 rather than using the TV-MA rating (HBO Latino uses this rating for R films) because much of the content is watered down. But then again, all movies regardless of rating are watered down. Can I also say edited movies suck as well?

Too violent? The movie was rated PG-13 (like that means anything anymore anyway). Viewer beware.

If Christopher Nolan doesn't have a hand in this movie, it will be shit. That man has single handedly turned the franchise around and made it gold. Once this is done, he should be contacted to make a decent Superman movie [the recent one was more or less an update of the first movie - Lex Luthor again? Give us Brainiac or Darkseid.]

As for Catwoman, I'm skeptical about Hathaway, but Gyllinhall as Rachel Dawes was ok. I still think maybe Jolie [as in Mr and Mrs Smith] might've been better as Catwoman.

I do like the idea of making Bane credible. Seems like Nolan is cleaning up Shumacher's messes. If this is the end, shame he can't do Poison Ivy any justice. [And of course he won't deal with Mr. Freeze cuz he's not realisitc].

I would have to agree with that. I have seen all of them. Dark Knight was the best by far, next to the ones with Michael Keaton.

I'll be at the theater!

Amen! Batman Forever, Two face was a total joke. It was more Adam West Batman camp. But Dark Knight along with Iron Man are both up there as my favorite superhero movies.

Also a minor heads up: I think Dark Knight will air on USA [the channel] Sat at 8pm ish. So those that havent seen it or don't have the dvd/seen it on premium cable, Now's your chance to see it.

If Christopher Nolan doesn't have a hand in this movie, it will be shit. That man has single handedly turned the franchise around and made it gold. Once this is done, he should be contacted to make a decent Superman movie [the recent one was more or less an update of the first movie - Lex Luthor again? Give us Brainiac or Darkseid.]

As for Catwoman, I'm skeptical about Hathaway, but Gyllinhall as Rachel Dawes was ok. I still think maybe Jolie [as in Mr and Mrs Smith] might've been better as Catwoman.

I do like the idea of making Bane credible. Seems like Nolan is cleaning up Shumacher's messes. If this is the end, shame he can't do Poison Ivy any justice. [And of course he won't deal with Mr. Freeze cuz he's not realisitc].

I'm skeptical about Hathaway, too. She just doesn't strike me as a Catwoman.

I'm skeptical about Hathaway, too. She just doesn't strike me as a Catwoman.

I saw a few months back,parts the mega flop of Catwoman when Hallie Barrie played her. What doomed that fiick IMO was the script was horrible. :tdown:

However, seeing Hallie in that sexy Catwoman custome was the only bright spot of maybe the biggest flop of the past 10 years.

Remember too in the TV series Batman Earth Kitt and Julie Newmar both played 'Catwoman.'

Amen! Batman Forever, Two face was a total joke. It was more Adam West Batman camp. But Dark Knight along with Iron Man are both up there as my favorite superhero movies.

Also a minor heads up: I think Dark Knight will air on USA [the channel] Sat at 8pm ish. So those that havent seen it or don't have the dvd/seen it on premium cable, Now's your chance to see it.

Correction. Dark Knight is airing now (Sat)on TNT not USA network.

Archived