MTA Layoffs??

Donald

Anyone know whether Cuomo's plan to lay off 15,000 state workers will include the MTA and, if so, which job titles are most at risk? Can everyone who took the last open competitive conductor and T/O exams pretty much forget about being hired this decade?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=7908833

This same question was asked here before the answer is the same, MTA employees are NOT state employees...

Therefore the question do not apply to them.

Anyone know whether Cuomo's plan to lay off 15,000 state workers will include the MTA and, if so, which job titles are most at risk? Can everyone who took the last open competitive conductor and T/O exams pretty much forget about being hired this decade?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=7908833

For the sake of the question itself, most likely station agents, cleaners and possibly some mechanics.

i always thought mta workers are state???

The MTA is a state agency, but the employees are officially MTA employees who collect MTA pension when they retire. Andrew Cuomo can't fire any MTA employee directly, and only the top level employees (Jay Walder) actually answer to him. Everyone else answers to Walder.

The mta is not a state agency . It is it's own entity

that receives funding from the state . The subsidies the mta

receives help the mta stay afloat when funding gets cut

the entire agency gets affected so layoffs can occur with the reduced

revenue from the state .

For the sake of the question itself, most likely station agents, cleaners and possibly some mechanics.

The MTA is a state agency, but the employees are officially MTA employees who collect MTA pension when they retire. Andrew Cuomo can't fire any MTA employee directly, and only the top level employees (Jay Walder) actually answer to him. Everyone else answers to Walder.

No!!!, the MTA already laid off station agent's and they are bringing back laid off S/A's back as agents and also bringing back all other laid off S/A's as cleaners. And with T/A's new clean station program they are gonna need plenty cleaners.

In proper terms the MTA is a public benefit corporation. It's role is public transportation and is chartered by the State of New York.

Walder, along with all of the MTA board members are appointed by the New York State Legislature.

With all that said, it's a state agency.

No!!!, the MTA already laid off station agent's and they are bringing back laid off S/A's back as agents and also bringing back all other laid off S/A's as cleaners. And with T/A's new clean station program they are gonna need plenty cleaners.

That was just in a hypothetical situation, but I'm very happy to see a lot of the former S/As get back into the TA.

Btw, you guys rock.

When Transit was falling apart in the 60's, and Robert Moses was being the political dictator he has always been, the state decided to create the MTA. An authority is created by the state when things get too expensive. Their rule for the authority heads is simple. As long as they have debt, they can stay in power. The state starts an authority, so that they don't look like they are losing as much money as they are because they can say the Authority is not related to them, it is a separate entity. That's why the TA has been wasting and borrowing money for so many decades. Once they turn a profit, the state gets to take over until they get into debt, or they forecast debt, so technically no, they are not a private company even though as it may appear because the state can take over the MTA any time it wants to.

In the end, it actually is a state created authority designed to keep the state in the black, even though the authority, created by the state is in the red, so it gives you the illusion that it is a private company because that's what the state wants you to think. The less people that know the MTA has anything to do with NY state, the less crappy NY state looks when things are bad at the MTA. Walder can be fired at any time by Cuomo, so if it were a private company, Cuomo, and the state would have no say in its operations, even though, for the most part, the MTA does run itself like a private company. The only way MTA employees can be laid off by the state is indirectly by an action of the state if it cuts funding and the MTA cannot replace that funding. You are the employee of who ever pays you. MTA employees are paid by the MTA, not the state. Let's be realistic. If the MTA were a private company with no help from the state, the way it's run, it would have gone out of business a very long time ago.

To answer your question, no Cuomo cannot directly lay off any MTA employees, and will not be laying off any MTA employees.

You also need to stop your no one will every be hired from the open competitive list crying game song. It's starting to get really annoying, and suspect. I'm wondering if that's your little game to get people ahead of you on the list to give up on it so you get hired sooner. In the beginning, I tried to support you, but there is seriously something weird about your posts. You claim to have a father that was single digits in the seniority line as a conductor, yet you know absolutely nothing about being a conductor. If he really were in the single digits, he was a conductor for a very long time. You constantly are contradicting what you say, and repeatedly ask questions (that have been answered repeatedly) about the job that are more designed as statements saying give up all of you, you aren't getting hired, rather than questions to actually get an answer.

I never said NOBODY Is ever going to be hired... I meant hired anytime soon.

And I never proclaimed myself as an expert on the MTA. I have better things to do than be one.

There are lots of exams that were given prior to the conductor exam in which they have barely made a dent in the list. Like sanitation worker. I know because I'm on the list (all the way in the nine thousands...). So saying it will be years before anyone on the O/C list gets hired is not unrealistic.

You say no o/c will be hired this decade. You ask what cuomos plan is.( do ya think anyone on here has the inside track from andy himself?) I don't agree with Blatherskite, i just think you're an idiot. Thanks for the laughs.

Can everyone who took the last open competitive conductor and T/O exams pretty much forget about being hired this decade?

Read your own words above. Open competitive lists only go for 4 years, so if you are saying no one should expect to get hired the rest of the decade, that would cover the 4 year period. This isn't the only time you've said the same doom and gloom "we will never be hired" schtick. You are basically just talking, and I am pretty sure most people here know that as well especially since the C/R and T/O lists are moving fairly smoothly since October. The only reason I can think of is that you are trying to taint other people's thinking, so they give up and you can take what will rightfully go to them first.

By the way, I never said you are an expert. From your questions, it's clear you aren't. I said, "You claim to have a father that was single digits in the seniority line as a conductor, yet you know absolutely nothing about being a conductor." You also contradict yourself repeatedly like saying C/R is a terrible job, yet why did you waste your time and money taking a test and being on a list for a job you don't want, then asking tons of questions about it? It sounds as if you're lying about something, or making something up. Your posts are far too inconsistent to be 100% truthful.

Let me elaborate:

In the 2 years since the condctor exam was given, only half of the 400 or so people on the promotional list have been called. If the MTA promotes at the SAME pace over the next 2 years as they have over the last 2 years, very few, if anybody, on the O/C list will be hired if the expiration of the list is not extended. Do you see where I am going with this? I am not saying that the TA is not going to hire. The MATH is.

Now, all this goes out the window if the TA significantly ramps up promoting everyone remaining on the promotional list. But they are not as of right now.

The T/O list is even worse. They have promoted about 100 people out of the 800 people on the promotional list. If they continue promoting at the SAME pace, not only will they not call anyone on the O/C list, many people on the promotional list will not get called. Again, this assumes that the list is not extended an the TA does not ramp up the pace.

But the O/C list expires. Only 2 more years left on it. That's not a lot of time when you look at how slow eveything is moving. They should have completely finished the promotional C/R list last year.

Please do not post here anymore with your alleged "knowledge". The O/C list 4 year clock only starts when they start using the O/C list. It is NOT 2 years in. Stop spreading the BS.

Your father was obviously not a conductor. You made it up because you thought somehow by saying it that it would get you credibility. You have no credibility. I also suggest you see a therapist for your pathological lying.

Right. I tried to get credibility by telling everyone here my father was a CONDUCTOR. If I was lying, don't you think I would have chosen a more prestigious position than CONDUCTOR?

Do you really think I care about my credibility on an anonymous forum dominated by high school kids with nothing better to do than take pictures of subways?

Right. I tried to get credibility by telling everyone here my father was a CONDUCTOR. If I was lying, don't you think I would have chosen a more prestigious position than CONDUCTOR?

Do you really think I care about my credibility on an anonymous forum dominated by high school kids with nothing better to do than take pictures of subways?

Being a conductor IS a prestigous position.I CANNOT move the train until I get the 2 long buzzes from them.They can take me out of service 8 different ways.IF they are slow in opening and closing the doors,I have to answer to the dispatcher as to why we are late and I cannot say "slow conductor" as an excuse.

As far as taking pictures goes,I took pictures of the LIRR well into my 30s.It is called a HOBBY.I dont believe you have ever had one though because if you did,you would not knock the hobbies of others.

Your attitude is awful.and you have not even got intothe TA yet.You should seriously consider another line of work.Knowing my luck though,you are going to be my conductor in the future.I just know it.

Archived