MTA to award order for 74 new CNG's to Orion

East New York

As long as they stick with the ISL-G and Allison B400 they'll be good. They do quite well in the NG CNGs.

Some BX depots and the MTA Bus CNG depots are in need of new buses badly. I do like the Orion V CNG, but all of the pre-2000 ones on the road are burned out, especially the city ones. They might look nice now but they seem as though they've lost a lot of power over the years.

New Flyer is just kicking ass lately. They scored another LF order for MTA Maryland recently as well. I'm down for more LF's. They're smooth like ice cream.

Personally, the order should've been LFR's because NY is already getting DE60LFRs so why not C40LFRs? But Like I said, LF's are cool. :cool:

As long as they stick with the ISL-G and Allison B400 they'll be good. They do quite well in the NG CNGs.

Some BX depots and the MTA Bus CNG depots are in need of new buses badly. I do like the Orion V CNG, but all of the pre-2000 ones on the road are burned out, especially the city ones. They might look nice now but they seem as though they've lost a lot of power over the years.

The ISL-G is the only engine available, and the Allison transmission is a New Flyer standard option.

New Flyer is just kicking ass lately. They scored another LF order for MTA Maryland recently as well. I'm down for more LF's. They're smooth like ice cream.

Personally, the order should've been LFR's because NY is already getting DE60LFRs so why not C40LFRs? But Like I said, LF's are cool. :cool:

Again, LFR's are not approved for regular NYC revenue service. That's why the entire order is LF's, and not LFR's, which have to be tested and evaluated first.

MTA Maryland's newest buses are LFR's and Xcelsiors. The DE60LF's they got are 2009 models.

It's time!!!!

And the award goes to.....

New Flyer Industries of America!

At this time, it appears to be more C40LF's. I am currently awaiting a phone call on the details. Most of which should be spelled out next week in the contract outline.

Preliminary assignments: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/updated-c40lf-assignment-33712.html

Im not surprised. New Flyer has been on a roll! And have you seen SEPTA's fleet recently? They should start calling Philly "the city of New Flyer love"!

Personally, I feel Orion has been pumping out less quality buses since Chrystler got them.

Im not surprised. New Flyer has been on a roll! And have you seen SEPTA's fleet recently? They should start calling Philly "the city of New Flyer love"!

Personally, I feel Orion has been pumping out less quality buses since Chrystler got them.

Chrysler never owned Orion. Daimler does. Also remember that the Orion BIOis very reliable, and has the best Altoona record to date.

The ISL-G is the only engine available, and the Allison transmission is a New Flyer standard option.

Again, LFR's are not approved for regular NYC revenue service. That's why the entire order is LF's, and not LFR's, which have to be tested and evaluated first.

MTA Maryland's newest buses are LFR's and Xcelsiors. The DE60LF's they got are 2009 models.

If the LFR's are not approved, how did they place an order for DE60LFR's or are we going to see LF's at the last minute again ? Also if the LFR's are not approved why are they not in the process of being approved? Lastly with all of these 90 bus experiments, why no LFR if the XD's were pushed in pretty quick. Thanx in advance for any enlightenment.

If the LFR's are not approved, how did they place an order for DE60LFR's or are we going to see LF's at the last minute again ? Also if the LFR's are not approved why are they not in the process of being approved? Lastly with all of these 90 bus experiments, why no LFR if the XD's were pushed in pretty quick. Thanx in advance for any enlightenment.

Because the DE60LFR's are Test & Evaluation buses. The only buses approved for regular procurement are the Orion VII's, New Flyer C/D40LF, and the Nova LFS Articulated.

You also have to remember the first order was not LF's at the last minute. They were LF's from the start. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/new-flyer-c40lf-archive-thread-22122.html

isnt the full name Daimler-Chrystler? i just shorten it to Chrystler.

Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler Corp. in 1998, and changed their name to DaimlerChrysler Corp.

In 2000, DaimlerChrysler bought Detroit Diesel & Orion.

In 2007, Daimler sold Chrysler, and became Daimler AG.

Because the DE60LFR's are Test & Evaluation buses. The only buses approved for regular procurement are the Orion VII's, New Flyer C/D40LF, and the Nova LFS Articulated.

You also have to remember the first order was not LF's at the last minute. They were LF's from the start. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/new-flyer-c40lf-archive-thread-22122.html

Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler Corp. in 1998, and changed their name to DaimlerChrysler Corp.

In 2000, DaimlerChrysler bought Detroit Diesel & Orion.

In 2007, Daimler sold Chrysler, and became Daimler AG.

OK, but I still don't understand why they just do not bring in some 40 LFR'S with the 60 LFR's so by the end of the contract we don't have to keep looking at 1998 buses while the rest of the country has LFR's. I saw 230 and I am sorry, to me looks like 801 with a new paint job, NY is supposed to be the leader. Having said all of that, what about CNG Xcelsiors ?? And thank you for your always informative answers.

OK, but I still don't understand why they just do not bring in some 40 LFR'S with the 60 LFR's so by the end of the contract we don't have to keep looking at 1998 buses while the rest of the country has LFR's. I saw 230 and I am sorry, to me looks like 801 with a new paint job, NY is supposed to be the leader. Having said all of that, what about CNG Xcelsiors ?? And thank you for your always informative answers.

There is really no need for LFR's. This is why they are testing the Xcelsior now. The LFR will be discontinued as well in the near future. New Flyer is trying to get all their customers to migrate over to the X platform. What's the point of testing LFR's when you they will likely never get any past the DE60's? The 40 foot BTE program is now under way. No point in adding a bus the TA will likely never get. One of the main reasons for testing the 60LFR is the Allison hybrid system. MTA is sticking with the LF for maintenance reasons as well. The buses have most of the same common parts as the older ones.

Xcelsior CNG's are available, but I haven't heard of any proposals which include them.

I have to agree. I don't see what's so great about those so called "new" CNGs. The new signage is great and the fact that they're low floor buses, but they look cheap and I don't think they're going to hold up that well quite frankly.

I have to agree. I don't see what's so great about those so called "new" CNGs. The new signage is great and the fact that they're low floor buses, but they look cheap and I don't think they're going to hold up that well quite frankly.

They are the same as the ones that have been in the city since 1998, save a few changes and upgrades. There is no reason as to why they wouldn't hold up as well as the current ones have.

They are the same as the ones that have been in the city since 1998, save a few changes and upgrades. There is no reason as to why they wouldn't hold up as well as the current ones have.

Yeah, but I have doubts in the quality of the materials used, which is what I was getting at when I said that they look cheap. lol

The so called "new" CNG's are just that, ''new".

Just like the mighty RTS (WorkHorse) of our time ,The C40LF has proven it's demand for abuse and has held up very well .Jackie Gleason is pure proof of this and I'm all for this Design and Performance that works .

They have very good power and they are comfy ,Suspension is great and that means alot to whom ever Operates them.

Let's backtrack here.... 2 Days ago, I called a friend of mine and told them I was having conflicting information..... Well I guess I was right from day one!!

The award for the buses will in fact be going to Orion for 3G CNG's! I was 99% sure the contract would be awarded to Orion, and when I was told New Flyer, I should have confirmed. Then I got a call from my friend again yesterday, and he told me I was right, and Orion had it in the bag. But I wanted to be sure, so I waited for a fax from one of my MTA contacts today.

Now we get into the numbering of the buses. It appears as if the buses will follow the New Flyer's into the 500's and 600's. When I confirm, I will be sure to post either way.

Let's backtrack here.... 2 Days ago, I called a friend of mine and told them I was having conflicting information..... Well I guess I was right from day one!!

The award for the buses will in fact be going to Orion for 3G CNG's! I was 99% sure the contract would be awarded to Orion, and when I was told New Flyer, I should have confirmed. Then I got a call from my friend again yesterday, and he told me I was right, and Orion had it in the bag. But I wanted to be sure, so I waited for a fax from one of my MTA contacts today.

Now we get into the numbering of the buses. It appears as if the buses will follow the New Flyer's into the 500's and 600's. When I confirm, I will be sure to post either way.

Can I post this here:

95y3p1.jpg

14w8vfm.jpg

Materials like what?

The siding or whatever it's called for the buses... Looks like you can just punch it hard and you'd see a dent in the bus. lol I wouldn't try that with the older buses though. Looks like some sort of cheap plastic or something. Flimsy looking. For the hundreds of thousands that they spend per bus, they don't look worth it, that's for sure. The only exception are those new Flyers that came out, but these buses are a joke. I never liked the old ones either. Found them to be slow, so I guess I wouldn't care for these either.

Archived