The T/O Of The (L) Train Involved In 12-9 At Halsey St. Describes The Horrific Moment Of Impact

EE Broadway Local

Wow over a cellphone really?. People if you drop something on the tracks please just leave it there you can get a new one. You can't get a new life or an arm or leg. Your life is valuable. I think people underestimate trains. Trains are about the weight, and length of a 18 wheeled trailer truck. You won't run or jump in front of a truck so don't do it with a train.

I guess the phone was worth just as much as life to scurry down onto the tracks. How stupid are you anyway to drop your phone on the tracks? Im sure this same person dropped their phone in the toilet a few times also. I have had my phone for years and only dropped it a handful of times. Never on the tracks, in the toilet, the street, etc...

Pea brained fools.

Oh well no real big loss, feel sorry for the T/O to have to deal with that moron playing on the tracks.

Oh and one more thing. These douchbag hipster transplants should stay in what ever small town they came from, they come here thinking its their city and that they are new yorkers. I see it all the time, they are acting like turds all along the L line, thinking they are the sh1t, how cool and trendy they think are.. and forget about the weekends, all drunk and acting stupid..

Sorry kiddies, this is not YOUR city, you dont have what it takes to survive in NYC, you are some spoiled brats living in areas that are run down and think its soo cool.

I guess the phone was worth just as much as life to scurry down onto the tracks. How stupid are you anyway to drop your phone on the tracks? Im sure this same person dropped their phone in the toilet a few times also. I have had my phone for years and only dropped it a handful of times. Never on the tracks, in the toilet, the street, etc...

Pea brained fools.

Oh well no real big loss, feel sorry for the T/O to have to deal with that moron playing on the tracks.

And that guy that bashed me in that other thread for calling people stupid....this proves my point exactly. If anything I feel sorry for the T/O. My regards for the T/O that has to deal with this. :(

If i drop my phone forget about it and get another one. My life is not worth my phone.

If your in the tracks, your supposed to lay down flat on your back so the train can pass over you without hitting you. Trying to climb onto the platform will not do any good.

What about simply hopping over to the other track? Why does that never cross any of these people's minds?

Oh yeah just to clear things up a bit. This is a picture of the Halsey Street Station on the (L) where the 12-9 happened. If you look closely you could see the curve that a train would take to come into the station at the tunnel portals.

img_108239.jpg

Also if you look at the map below carefully you would see that an (L) train needs to turn to get to Halsey Street.

l-routemap.gif

What about simply hopping over to the other track? Why does that never cross any of these people's minds?

Like they say the train you don't see kills you. Had he done that, the chances of another (L) taking him out would have been just as high as the 1st train. And in a situation like that so many things are going through your mind knowing that your seconds away from death, yeah it would be hard for that to cross ones mind. Which is why most 12-9s people are caught trying to get back up right and boom. Those trains seem loud, but there actually very quiet. The R142A sometimes you don't even know is in a station until you actually look and see it, especially if your at the 10 car marker and if its a T/O that coasts then brake. R143 are basically the same, but in ATOs case there is a delay from the time the T/O see it and the time it takes he/she to activate the ebrake.

He was doomed the second he decided to go on the tracks. A very stupid choice caused him his life.

Saying what he could have done cant help him now and still wont help anyone in the next 12-9.

Like they say the train you don't see kills you. Had he done that, the chances of another (L) taking him out would have been just as high as the 1st train. And in a situation like that so many things are going through your mind knowing that your seconds away from death, yeah it would be hard for that to cross ones mind. Which is why most 12-9s people are caught trying to get back up right and boom. Those trains seem loud, but there actually very quiet. The R142A sometimes you don't even know is in a station until you actually look and see it, especially if your at the 10 car marker and if its a T/O that coasts then brake. R143 are basically the same, but in ATOs case there is a delay from the time the T/O see it and the time it takes he/she to activate the ebrake.

He was doomed the second he decided to go on the tracks. A very stupid choice caused him his life.

Saying what he could have done cant help him now and still wont help anyone in the next 12-9.

Amen to that.

I dropped my cell phone on the tracks once. I went up to the Station Booth and they called a track team or w.e they're called. They picked up my phone in short order the proper way, with those extender claw-looking things. It only delayed me 1/2 hour.

As a retired B/O who had someone attempt suicide by rolling under my bus I certainly sympathize with this Train Operator. What I don't understand is the uncalled for venom from the people who responded to this thread. Someone lost their life. Was he foolish for being on the tracks? of course. Does he deserve your disdain after his tragic death? I don't think so.

What I don't understand is the uncalled for venom from the people who responded to this thread. Someone lost their life. Was he foolish for being on the tracks? of course. Does he deserve your disdain after his tragic death? I don't think so.

he made the choice to go down there, had he asked the S/A for help, guys from track dept. would have gotten his phone for him with out a problem. Instead he made the decision to jump down onto the tracks. It's not like the subway was built yesterday or people haven't been killed doing the same thing countless times before so he knew he was putting himself in a very dangerous situation. Now that T/O has to live with that image of a man standing in front of his train while he couldn't to a damn thing about it once he dumped the train. The T/O maybe the C/R and all the other first responders will have the image of that guy smeared along the platform in their minds for ever and for what, a damn cell phone. I think people can be angry with the dead guy over this.

People still fail to realise this guy was probably drunk out of his mind. Lets see...5:30 am on a Sunday morning, a night of drinking, not many people around, he was prob all alone and so wasted he didnt realise what he was doing. He probably thought he could fit between the gap if he just stood still.

Archived