NYC Council Bans Smoking In Parks, Beaches

trainspot12

eventually it will

But there still cars and trucks out there that are 15 to 20 years or more that still pollute,if want to lower the omission more we have to give Tax Incentives to people that want to buy a eco friendly car or bring back Cash for Clunker program.also if you own a car that's 20 years old there should be a old car tax.

You can't ban cigarettes from anyones residence.

It is the Cigarettes Prohibition. Haven't anyone learned from the regular Prohibition of the 1920's. If we prohibit cigarretes people would start smuggling, and selling cigarettes illegally to make money.

Just like all the rest of the illegal drugs?

The Obama Administration has already proposed a ban on menthols anyway.

eventually it will

But there still cars and trucks out there that are 15 to 20 years or more that still pollute,if want to lower the omission more we have to give Tax Incentives to people that want to buy a eco friendly car or bring back Cash for Clunker program.also if you own a car that's 20 years old there should be a old car tax.

I don't know why we're so far behind on having more fuel efficient and cleaner cars here in the US. Fuel efficient cars have been the norm for years in Europe.

You can't ban cigarettes from anyones residence.

Just like all the rest of the illegal drugs?

The Obama Administration has already proposed a ban on menthols anyway.

Some co-ops and condos for example argue that smoking affects other residents that don't smoke since the cigarette smoke travels through vents and other common areas on the property, allowing that to then go into other people's apartments. You also have landlords not permitting smokers to rent their apartments. I wouldn't be surprised if this became more of the norm. I think if people resorted to chewing tobacco and dropped cigarettes it would be a dead issue, but cigarette smoke has no boundaries and its remnants remain in the air well after the person smoking has left or has put the cigarette out, even in "open air" areas like outside, so imagine what hangs around in closed areas like apartments...

The smokers that are bitching about this should just grow some balls and quit.

Believe me when I say it's 10X harder to do than kicking the alcohol habit. I'm weaning myself off the butts now and I think I can do it. I guy I grew up with said it's like kicking a drug habit and when you think about it that's really what it is. BTW I have no desire to kick my other habit,S-E-X, but a non-smoker is definitely a sexier person in my eyes.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Believe me when I say it's 10X harder to do than kicking the alcohol habit. I'm weaning myself off the butts now and I think I can do it. I guy I grew up with said it's like kicking a drug habit and when you think about it that's really what it is. BTW I have no desire to kick my other habit,S-E-X, but a non-smoker is definitely a sexier person in my eyes.

IAWTP 100%. I'm still in the process of quitting (again). And like I said earlier in this thread, if there's so much of a problem, just ban cigarettes altogher. Pretty soon, it'll be illegal to walk down the street and smoke

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

IAWTP 100%. I'm still in the process of quitting (again). And like I said earlier in this thread, if there's so much of a problem, just ban cigarettes altogher. Pretty soon, it'll be illegal to walk down the street and smoke

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but what they need to do is to really get the message out to youths that smoking is NOT cool or hip or any of that nonsense. I see too many young kids smoking these days. Some of them look like they can't be any more than 13 or 14. This one girl I saw I wanted to snatch the cigarette right out of her mouth. Such a disgusting habit for a little kid that can barely wash herself. :mad:

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but what they need to do is to really get the message out to youths that smoking is NOT cool or hip or any of that nonsense. I see too many young kids smoking these days. Some of them look like they can't be any more than 13 or 14. This one girl I saw I wanted to snatch the cigarette right out of her mouth. Such a disgusting habit for a little kid that can barely wash herself. :mad:

It's not about cool. It's the same logic with the bimbo's and purse carrying males who "must" have thier morning cup of coffee to get through the day.

It "helps them relax" so they do it.

I have a huge issue with it because it harms others without their consent and they have no way to avoid its harmful effects.

People want to harm themselves fine just don't harm anyone else.

It's not about cool. It's the same logic with the bimbo's and purse carrying males who "must" have thier morning cup of coffee to get through the day.

I have a huge issue with it because it harms others without their consent and they have no way to avoid its harmful effects.

How I hate that kind of person.

How I hate that kind of person.

"I'm just holding it for my girlfriend! Ok!?"

I don't think anybody thinks smoking is cool, and I have never met a smoker who actually wants to keep smoking.

In other news, Obama told the press yesterday he finally quit.

I don't think anybody thinks smoking is cool, and I have never met a smoker who actually wants to keep smoking.

In other news, Obama told the press yesterday he finally quit.

Some kids want to grow up fast and they think smoking is a nice way to do so. That's who I was really referring to. But these sorts of things have to be stopped by the parents. Of course they can't be with their kids all of the time, but if teach your kids right from wrong they more than likely won't have a reason to start smoking. Of course there are acceptions to the rule...

A lot of people don't want to keep smoking but are unwilling to do what it takes to quit (just like fat people trying to go on diets).

A lot of people who smoke do so "every once in a while" and justify it because "they're not addicted" so they can just stop whenever, but they just choose not to. They have cigarettes when they "need" them.

A lot of people don't want to keep smoking but are unwilling to do what it takes to quit (just like fat people trying to go on diets).

A lot of people who smoke do so "every once in a while" and justify it because "they're not addicted" so they can just stop whenever, but they just choose not to. They have cigarettes when they "need" them.

Yeah, sounds like my mother... :)

I smoked for 13 years my man. It's not that simple. I can say it is the most addictive drugs out there. Most people can't just quit.

@ Garibaldi - My parents taught me right from wrong, but I still made mistakes and had to find my own way. They didnt even know I smoked untill I had already been doing it for 4 years.

I smoked for 13 years my man. It's not that simple. I can say it is the most addictive drugs out there. Most people can't just quit.

@ Garibaldi - My parents taught me right from wrong, but I still made mistakes and had to find my own way. They didnt even know I smoked untill I had already been doing it for 4 years.

Oh of course... We all make mistakes along the way even with good parenting. However, I think some of the teens smoking today could be curbed if parents were more involved. I think it really depends on the type of relationship parents have with their kids.

My father was a "Do as I say not as I do type", old school Italian-American dude. My mother on the other hand always treated me like a young adult and we had a very open relationship so I never felt the need to sneak and do anything. The key thing was that she allowed me to do what I needed to do as a teenager within reason of course. The fact that both of my parents were relatively young (my mother was 20 and my father was 21) when I was born also played a role. They were a bit more likely to remember how things were when they were a kid.

Phhhhfewww! I hate these people who light up right next to me or my dad when we walk about the city. Seriously, if second-hand smoke was a 1 breath (bad pun) kill, we would all be dead by now.

At the above with teenagers, being one myself, I can tell you MANY people in my school (9th grade and above) smoke. Only one person in my grade (8th) however does, and most people shun him for being the errr.... let's just say BAD addict kind of person...

Although interestingly enough, I don't think it is about growing up faster, it is about the one thing that leads most teens into so many life problems =

ACCEPTANCE

The dude at my school smokes because he wanted to be noticed by the 9th grade, so he took packs from some guy in the 7th (yeah... there are quite a few bums in my school) and started. Now, he complains that the 9th'ers take his money and don't pay him back. Well, who's fault is it? Your's for trusting those idiots who do nothing but hang at the deli and smoke 2-3 butts before getting on the bus to head home to get some more? Or is it your own conscience that made you think they would like you for following what they do to look cool?

Sorry for the long foam, but I seriously am fed up with this bullcrap...

Before I quite smoking, I would have had some choice words for this topic, but now I'm glad they did this. It's only been 21 days since I quit (on my birthday), and I have already saved about $100. I probably spent upwards of $24,000 on smokes over the last 13 years.

Congrats. I quit over a month ago but I'm against the policy (because they have better things to do frankly) but either way congrats.

I agree...I do wish NYC will ban people for smoking while they walking on the sidewalk,because I hate being behind someone who's smoking then all the toxic stuff go went into your face....there are times where I'll be waiting for the bus and people decide to stay right next to you and smoke a cigarette,that crap piss me off.

Archived