NYC Council Bans Smoking In Parks, Beaches

trainspot12

Quoted from CBS New York

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City lawmakers voted to extend the city’s smoking ban to parks and beaches.

The City Council voted Wednesday to broaden the anti-smoking law, which outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants in 2002.

The law will take effect 90 days after Mayor Bloomberg signs the bill. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said she was “very glad” that New York was becoming “a public health city.”

Read More http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/02/nyc-expected-to-ban-smoking-in-parks-beaches/

For me I don't really care because I never smoked in my life nor have plans to start. I had a feeling this was gonna happen.

Quoted from CBS New York

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City lawmakers voted to extend the city’s smoking ban to parks and beaches.

The City Council voted Wednesday to broaden the anti-smoking law, which outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants in 2002.

The law will take effect 90 days after Mayor Bloomberg signs the bill. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said she was “very glad” that New York was becoming “a public health city.”

Read More http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/02/nyc-expected-to-ban-smoking-in-parks-beaches/

For me I don't really care because I never smoked in my life nor have plans to start. I had a feeling this was gonna happen.

Nothing more annoying than me finally finding the perfect spot to eat my lunch in Bryant Park and then 5 minutes later some douchebag sits somewhere near by and lights up. :(

I was wondering what your response was going to be seeing that you'd just quit... Congrats again! You were able to stop young too, that'll definitely save you in the future.

I hope so! My grandmother's best friend developed lung cancer 8 years after she quit. But I think she had smoked for like 30 years.

I hope so! My grandmother's best friend developed lung cancer 8 years after she quit. But I think she had smoked for like 30 years.

The truth is that only a small percentage of smokers actually develop lung cancer. It's the raised blood pressure, gunk in your arteries, pulmonary issues, etc, that are really whatmsmokers need to worry about.

This is one of the rare things that many people associate with nanny state that I don't, because I actually will give credit where it's due and say this is a good thing.

Secondhand smoke kills and takes years off people's lives - people who CHOOSE NOT to smoke, but have no choice but to breathe this shit.

Our founding fathers believed in ultimate freedom, which is limited ONLY by the freedom of others. Meaning you are free to smoke, but others are free not to which means your right to smoke comes second when you're around others.

Smoking is unique in this case because drinking and other so called "bad things" do not DIRECTLY cause death to bystanders like cigarette smoke does. As far as I'm concerned, there should be "smoke lounges" just like bars for smokers to smoke, but nowhere else should it be allowed, unless companies were to provide a "smokers only" space. No one should be forced to breathe harmful shit who does not wish or agree to.

As a person who is trying to quit (again), I think this a littlle too extreme. They outlawed it in bars & restaurants which is understandable. If there's so much of a problem, don't penalize the person, but rather stop it at its source. If people don't like it that bad, then just stop making cigarettes altogether

Oh, HELL, YEAH! Cigarette smoke disgusts me, so this will help me not have to cover my nose from the putrid smell in many more areas. Plus, in sites like on the boardwalk and parks, cigarettes can become deadly fire hazards. If y'want t'burn something, burn your house.

Now if only they extend it to the entire city like two others here in the U.S… Yes, sidewalks and homes, too.

I go for it.

I am only non-smoker and I cannot stand smell of smoke coming from cigarette or cigar?

I remember one time someone smoking cigarette bump into me and I had to watch my t-shirt.

My mom smokes and most museum and firefighter friends smoke a lot.

My mom want to stop smoking in future.

She don't trust any medicine relative.

I will never smoke or drink alcoholic.

This ban is a waste of tax payer money,I do agree that smoking is bad for you it about your personal responsibly to take care of yourself not the government,

Also there much worse things then smoking like pollution in cars and tracks and yet they don't ban that.

Gov't is working to cut down on pollution from cars and trucks, hence the new omission laws being put in place. Second, smoking affects those who don't smoke in that they have to be exposed to second hand smoke by force and it is not right for them to have to endure that when they don't even smoke. I get into it constantly with cab drivers smoking in the car on Staten Island.

I demand (yes demand) that they roll down the windows entirely while I'm in there paying my money as the customer and I don't care how pissed they get because they don't care that the car reeks of cigarette smoke and that my clothing will stink well after I'm out of the cab, not to mention that it is illegal to smoke in the cab anyway here in NYC.

Furthermore, smoking kills thousands of non-smokers every year and also creates an enormous tax burden on us tax payers in escalated health care costs. Governments around the world are aware of this and they are simply trying to alleviate an unnecessary fiscal burden, as well as get its citizens to become more health conscious. It is a bit meddlesome, but at the same time, is it really so bad to try to get folks to lead healthier lives?

You can argue that you can do whatever you want, but unfortunately our society has reached such a level of ignorance that in some instances it needs the government to hold its hand, which is quite pathetic. In the end it is the government's job to see to the overall well being of its citizens and this is a perfect example of that. Don't be surprised to see this law pop up in other cities around the country and even around the world. There is nothing great about smoking. It's a disgusting, costly habit that really is not beneficial to anyone.

I know first hand because both my mother and father smoked for over 20 years and I was always at it with both of them to quit. My mother eventually developed asthma and then "mysteriously" got cancer later on before passing. Thus I strongly support any measures put into place to deter folks from smoking.

This ban is a waste of tax payer money,I do agree that smoking is bad for you it about your personal responsibly to take care of yourself not the government,

Also there much worse things then smoking like pollution in cars and tracks and yet they don't ban that.

And what about the people who DON'T smoke, DON'T WANT to smoke, CHOOSE not to, yet must breathe secondhand cigarette smoke around every street corner from other people and have NO OTHER CHOICE but to breathe something that causes all kinds of health problems?

So the issue at hand, a smoking ban in public parks and beaches. At least the children who go in the playgrounds won't have to worry about second hand smoke anymore when they go to these places of recreation as well as the rest of the non-smokers in the parks. Same thing with the beach goers who choose not to smoke, they'll benefit from this as well.

wow Im glad they are going to pass this. Whenever I pass anybody smoking, and I breathe the smoke, My lungs start tightening up and I start to choke. Once I couldnt breathe. I think Im allergic to that smoke as it gives me really bad effects.

Anybody who is a smoker disgusts me, All they are doing is trying to hurt themselves. I heard this from somewhere that everytime you smoke a ciggerate you are taking about 10 minutes off your life. Or 10 seconds... something like that.

Anyway, Im very glad to hear this. I wish they would put a ban to people smoking outdoors on NYC transit property (as Ive seen people (even NYCTA workers) smoke there). Smoking = :tdown: X1000

I was wondering what your response was going to be seeing that you'd just quit... Congrats again! You were able to stop young too, that'll definitely save you in the future.

Edit: Wait, you started at 15? :eek: Oof. Congrats again that you quit...

Yep. I started smoking Black & Milds when I was 15, and graduated to cigarettes just before my 18th birthday.

Oh, HELL, YEAH! Cigarette smoke disgusts me, so this will help me not have to cover my nose from the putrid smell in many more areas. Plus, in sites like on the boardwalk and parks, cigarettes can become deadly fire hazards. If y'want t'burn something, burn your house.

Now if only they extend it to the entire city like two others here in the U.S… Yes, sidewalks and homes, too.

Cigarettes aren't banned from anyones homes.:confused:

Yep. I started smoking Black & Milds when I was 15, and graduated to cigarettes just before my 18th birthday.

Cigarettes aren't banned from anyones homes.:confused:

eventually it will

Gov't is working to cut down on pollution from cars and trucks, hence the new omission laws being put in place. Second, smoking affects those who don't smoke in that they have to be exposed to second hand smoke by force and it is not right for them to have to endure that when they don't even smoke. I get into it constantly with cab drivers smoking in the car on Staten Island.

But there still cars and trucks out there that are 15 to 20 years or more that still pollute,if want to lower the omission more we have to give Tax Incentives to people that want to buy a eco friendly car or bring back Cash for Clunker program.also if you own a car that's 20 years old there should be a old car tax.

Archived