Excavation of West Tunnel for Second Avenue Subway Almost Complete

IRT Bronx Express

(MTA) - The tunnel boring machine (TBM) that has been making its way down Second Avenue has completed its first run. The TBM mined approximately 7,200 feet and completed the west tunnel for the future Second Avenue Subway.

The 485-ton, 450-foot-long machine began mining in May 2010 from 92nd Street marking a significant milestone in Phase 1 of the MTA's Second Avenue Subway construction project, which is on schedule to be completed by December 2016.

The TBM will now be disassembled and pulled back to 92nd Street where it will start its second run to mine the east tunnel in the spring.

Read more @ http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=187

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Is there any funding for phase 2 as of this point?

Who knows but its better than these ludacris ideas to extend it to some other unnecessary place

That is not true in the least. I ride the (4)(5) to Borough Hall every day for school. Multiple seats are open by Fulton/Wall Sts, but before then, consider yourself luck if you manage to find an open spot.

Inability to find a seat is not "crowded". A train is crowded when it is tough to find enough space to get on (as is currently an issue on the (6) on the UES, the (L) at Bedford, etc.). I have little sympathy for those who demand to always be able to sit down on the subway.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Who knows but its better than these ludacris ideas to extend it to some other unnecessary place

Additionally, phases 2, 3, and 4 are prerequisites to extending the line elsewhere; you can't extend the line to the Bronx without building phase 2.

Additionally, phases 2, 3, and 4 are prerequisites to extending the line elsewhere; you can't extend the line to the Bronx without building phase 2.

I meant these plans I've seen here in this thread that somehow lead to the Culver. I know eventually (whenever it actually gets finished) the SAS will get extended somewhere but most likely not where everyone is saying

It's ludicrous to extend the (T) to Brooklyn via the Rutgers St tunnel? Why? I think connecting the (T) to the Rutgers St tunnel is actually not a bad suggestion and it would allow the line to enter Brooklyn without building a potentially expensive and time-consuming Phase 4. Or having to expand (J) line platforms to accommodate 10-car (T) trains. It also answers two questions: One, where to run the (T) in Brooklyn where it will not be an extra service? And two, what will run as a Culver Express now that the (V) train is gone? By running the (T) via the Culver, that allows the line to have well-used express and local services simultaneously (for example (F) local and (T) express), something that can't currently be done unless you cut (F) service to the heavily-used local stations between Church and Jay. With the (T) running on the Culver Line, you wouldn't have to. You can't run a (V) train there; the current (M) precludes it.

The problem isn't the (4)(5) in Manhattan. They are packed coming into Manhattan. They are more packed then their respective sister lines in the IRT or IND for that matter by that point. Unless there's some sort of line that will run in between Grand Concourse and Southern Blvd that will pull riders from these trains in the Bronx nothing will change on the (4)(5). The (Q) to 125th will give relief to the (6) north of 59th, especially in the rush and late evening. All those UES riders who used to ride the (4)(5)(6) down to 59th to get to the west side can just start on that (Q) to begin with. Much of the nightlife on the UES is on 3av and 2av, and the type of people who spend their leisure time up there will utilize the (Q) more than the (4), whose basis of people's destination is really 14th street and below.

This may sound like a stupid question, but would converting the (4) to a B-Division line and making it the Bronx extension of the (Q) train have real advantages over the current (4) service and building a whole new line in the Bronx from scratch? I ask it because I saw a fantasy map that showed the (Q) replacing the (4) in the Bronx.

This may sound like a stupid question, but would converting the (4) to a B-Division line and making it the Bronx extension of the (Q) train have real advantages over the current (4) service and building a whole new line in the Bronx from scratch? I ask it because I saw a fantasy map that showed the (Q) replacing the (4) in the Bronx.

I remember that fantasy map. Thing is it doesn't deal completely with the idea of a gaping hole in central Bronx service since that 3Av el was torn down. I always suggested having some line piggyback over the Metro North tracks up to Fordham (with tunneling only from the 161st area south, not that far when you consider the distance that TBM is going in Manhattan), minimizing eminent domain abuse and helping to revamp what is now a downtrodden, drug infested residential/industrial spaces along Park Av. Thing is, this will never happen because unlike 2Av, this area in the Bronx is not desirable, and never will be. After the temporary turmoil along 2Av, the area along 2av will be probably among the most energetic spaces in the city.

Youre running into issues with the (5), unless you want to convert that to B-division standards, but then you'd have the (2) and.......you get the point.

It's ludicrous to extend the (T) to Brooklyn via the Rutgers St tunnel? Why? I think connecting the (T) to the Rutgers St tunnel is actually not a bad suggestion and it would allow the line to enter Brooklyn without building a potentially expensive and time-consuming Phase 4. Or having to expand (J) line platforms to accommodate 10-car (T) trains. It also answers two questions: One, where to run the (T) in Brooklyn where it will not be an extra service? And two, what will run as a Culver Express now that the (V) train is gone? By running the (T) via the Culver, that allows the line to have well-used express and local services simultaneously (for example (F) local and (T) express), something that can't currently be done unless you cut (F) service to the heavily-used local stations between Church and Jay. With the (T) running on the Culver Line, you wouldn't have to. You can't run a (V) train there; the current (M) precludes it.

How would it connect to the Rutgers tunnel if the Houston St station is going to be perpendicular to the 2 Av (F) station? Plus East Broadweay is close enough to the tunnel, so wou will (T) trains get to the tunnel?

As for the Culver part, if they do extended it there, you will now have 3 trains there (you forgot about the (G)). If its the (F) & (T) only, then where will the (G) go? That train has been a critical part of the Culver (The viaduct is still technicall part of the Culver line) for decades, espically for riders comming from the (G) that need Park Slope (or whatever that area around 9 St is) the (G) only has crossovers at Church Av, 4 Av and then Bedfird-Nostrand so it would be damn near impossible to turn trains around except for those areas

I've been on (4)/(5) trains south of Grand Central at 8 in the morning and I disagree. The (4)(5)(6) are pretty much SRO during the entire trip in Manhattan, with a few exceptions (such as north of 96th (6) during the AM rush)

Yup, sure people gets off at 42nd, but then a new batch of riders gets on. Only the (6) can you get a seat heading south of 42nd in the Am rush. (4)(5) still needs help going further south.

The (J) south of Essex is useless imo [not totally, but could be better used].

That is why I think if the SAS were to annex the Nassau St segment, that would be a perfect parallel line to the (4)(5).

*before sounding too much of a foamer about the SAS via nassau St line: it is a better alternative to having to dig under Water St when Nassau St is under used.

This can allow the (T) to be a full time line all the way to maybe 95th St and then the (R) can be the part time line and run the way the (Mx) used to on the West End line.

You can send the (T) to the Second Avenue (F) station instead by creaing a crossover. Remember the Second Avenue station is four tracked, and the center tracks were formally used by the (V). You can have the (T) crossover to these tracks, and then create switches east of the Second Avenue station, and have the (T) join the (F). Also about the (G) turn arounds the whole thing about the rehab is to create a new switch between the local, and express tracks. Thus the (G) can use these switches to turn around.

Screw that a cheaper alternative would be bringing back the (W), and sending it down there instead. It would bring people to almost the same place Midtown Manhattan. It would also be a good idea to send a Nassau Street service up to Midtown to help bring some use to the ugly Chambers Street station.

Yup, sure people gets off at 42nd, but then a new batch of riders gets on. Only the (6) can you get a seat heading south of 42nd in the Am rush. (4)(5) still needs help going further south.

I have to correct you a little bro. The (6) can get you a seat, but that really depends on how lucky you are. Most likely you'll have enough standing room to breathe. Now below 14th Street, yes.

Right, right, true about that. I used to take the (6) all the way from 86th to 14th [sometimes Bleecker] i would get the seat by the time I get to either 59th or 42nd. But still a far shot over the (4)(5).

But usually if you are right at the door at 42nd, you should be able to nab a seat quickly if you can. Then again this was like 8-10 yrs ago when I rode it regularly.

Archived