Today and Why We Should Retire Old Equipment Faster

CenSin

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well The (A) And (C) Actually Have A Few R44's Running, Plus Have The R32's,R42's, And R46's On Their Fleet. The (F) Has About 45% Of Its Trains R46, Mostly It's R160 With The Exception Of R32 Reroute F Trains...

Will you stop living in the past?

you apparently have no clue what you are talking about, ALL the R44's are retired. all the R44's are in yards being scrapped. correct, the (C) has R32's, and the (A) has R46, but there are no R42 on both lines and the R32 only run on the (C) while '46 on the (A).

the (F) is FULLY R160's, and does not have ANY R46 or R32.

I have no idea where you are getting your info from :P...

or maybe you havent railfanned in a while (no offense :P)

Well The (A) And (C) Actually Have A Few R44's Running, Plus Have The R32's,R42's, And R46's On Their Fleet. The (F) Has About 45% Of Its Trains R46, Mostly It's R160 With The Exception Of R32 Reroute F Trains... Plus The R160's.

Where in the bloody hell are you getting this from? How long have you been sleeping? It's time to wake the **** up, kid.

Not to be rude, but wasn't there a thread last week with a picture of an R44 on the (A) which was taken recently? Or was that about something else on the (A)?

that was an R44 sitting at Rockaway Park on January 17. It was Not In Service.

that was an R44 sitting at Rockaway Park on January 17. It was Not In Service.

Hmm, then what was it doing there if people in this thread say that the R44's are all in the yard waiting to be scrapped? Why was this one out in Rockaway then?

Wikipedia is everyone's friend, dude. :P Either that's where Aahd's getting his "source" from, or he's getting it from a railfan.

Wikipedia's not my friend lol. I can just go on there, edit it with an R160 running on the C line, and people who trust it would cream their pants and go on a failed mission.

But I'm just going onto aahd because he's a good stress reliever.

Hmm, then what was it doing there if people in this thread say that the R44's are all in the yard waiting to be scrapped? Why was this one out in Rockaway then?

I don't know good Question. I was asking the same thing.

There was at one point a rumor that the R44's might go back in service (just like the rumor of the R46 going to (N)(Q), or Jamaica Yard fully R160's, etc).

Im searching for that thread...

64 cars in 8 car sets are in Pitkin Yard for service.But INACTIVE.Held if in case the 32's have A\C problems again in the Summer of 2011.

Also that R-44 in the Rockaway was probably used too deliver supplies.

I don't know good Question. I was asking the same thing.

There was at one point a rumor that the R44's might go back in service (just like the rumor of the R46 going to (N)(Q), or Jamaica Yard fully R160's, etc).

Im searching for that thread...

They MIGHT not impossible but if 32's have A\C problems I guess we can expect to see 46's or 44's roaming the (C).

There are 64 R44s on the scrap list with a little * next to the car number because they want to save them in case the A/Cs on the R32s crap out again this summer. Since there is a chance they will run (though a very very slim chance) T/Os in school car need to be qualified on them. A few times a week the cars go out from Pitkin Yard to the Rockaways, there not permitted to go north of Euclid.

Well The (A) And (C) Actually Have A Few R44's Running, Plus Have The R32's,R42's, And R46's On Their Fleet. The (F) Has About 45% Of Its Trains R46, Mostly It's R160 With The Exception Of R32 Reroute F Trains... Plus The R160's.

:eek: Oh sheet. I didn't just read that

Those were the days :P

64 8 car sets are in Pitkin Yard for service.But INACTIVE.Held if in case the 32's have A\C problems again in the Summer of 2011.

Also that R-44 in the Rockaway was probably used too deliver supplies.

NO, it's only 64 cars, not 64 8 car sets and they don't use them to deliver supplies. A M/I i know took those cars out there to keep them in running condition. If subway cars don't run often, problems develop.

NO, it's only 64 cars, not 64 8 car sets and they don't use them to deliver supplies. A M/I i know took those cars out there to keep them in running condition. If subway cars don't run often, problems develop.

Yea thats what I meant 64 cars = 8 car sets.Wasn't Kreisler operating that set?

The Wikipedia article on the R32s have not changed because if it did I would of changed it back to the way it was even though many can say I'm wasting my time doing that. He's getting his source from a railfan.

For the R32s now. What happened happened. It's not like everything goes according to plan and things change. Everyone in 2009 thought the R32s and R42s were done for, but the R44s started having structural issues and nobody expected that to happen even though the cars themselves have been plagued with problems in the past. So the decision was to retire the R44s in place of 240 R32s and 50 R42s with 14 more sitting at 207th street.

The R32s and R42s will be around until the R179s come in that is the fact there. People are just going to have to suck it up and deal with all the bucking and loud breaks until those R179s arrive and even then the (C) will be getting R46 cars most likely, which by that point will be nearing the end of their useful lives. That's the line cars go to end their lives as many cars in the past have done so and it's nothing new here except the (C) has never had a fleet of cars this old before. The last one was the R10s and they only made 41 years in revenue service.

I think this thread needs to be :lock: now.

I Agree, But From What Im hearing the Fed's are fed up with (MTA) so those R179's might take very long to come in, as for the R32's the most will still stay on the (C) everyone needs to stop bicthing and just take the damn train, As long as it takes you from point A to Point B stfu and just deal with it, and from what I see the R32's are doing much better than before and 207th is doing a better job, those RFW's are dirty as shit but wth as long as they run good its good, All trains have issues not just the R32's, The (MTA) has done alot of stupid things and this is why they have to keep older equipoment, their main focus is the DOB (department of Buses), MNRR with the M8's and the Subway Station Rehabs as well as 2nd ave. So just deal with it, The R32's are making history and as a Railbuff Im glad that they are still here, It shows that Budd Car co. is one of the Best Railcar Builders in America.

I realize that many folks do not like local trains, and often feel that local trains are SLOW - but from the Coney Island station what isn't local? Even if the N-train is local traveling by the Whitehall Street route as a local - getting to Canal Street will not take a light-year. The F-train has construction work going on, and the Q-train was some construction work going on. So it seems that there are two choices, the N-train, and the D-train.

Both the D-train and the N-train would stop at Atlantic/Pacific which offers transfer options (stay on either N or D, transfer to D or N, transfer to Q, #4 or #5). Taking either the N-train or the D-train was your best option, and offered the best options for transfers in case something went wrong. N and D trains are known to take each other's route to/from Coney Island when there are problems just to keep the trains moving - which in this case would still mean more transfer options.

The F-train is all local in Brooklyn, plus has construction work going on, plus has the fewest transfer options. As you saw there were problems on the line. Transferring to the A or C lines is not really helpful since it has only one really useful transfer option in Manhattan to the eastside subway lines - Fulton Street. However once those trains were routed via York Street - the only really useful transfers were the J/Z trains at Delancy Street, or the downtown only #6 at Broadway-Lafayette Streets. Taking the A, C or F trains to Jay Street for the a transfer to the R-train (or N-train if is running via Whitehall Street) would be a do-able but last resort. In such a case, then one should have just taken the N-train to begin with.

Next time, take the D or N train unless there is some clear announcements that there are problems on those particular lines. Traveling by the Whitehall Street tunnel is not the end of the world, and it is not as slow as molasses.

Mike

Archived