The Next NYC Subway

East New York

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It does not. The southern section of Nostrand Avenue has no subway or LIRR service nor do they have anything except the bus. From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it. It is one giant blank on the map, and it should get subway service as soon as the Utica Avenue Elevated is built. Also for all you criticisms if Nostrand Avenue doesn't need subway service then why is it getting SBS. You explain the reason why. The only way to solve this is to create an El that would go to Sheepshead Bay from the current Brooklyn College station. It isn't expensive nor is it going to take a long time to do.

Cuz ridership justifies it. Its not high enough to get a subway line

It does not. The southern section of Nostrand Avenue has no subway or LIRR service nor do they have anything except the bus. From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it.

LIRR:

Flasbush Avenue=Atlantic Terminal (formely called Flashbush Avenue), so those riders do have a station too.

Sheepstead Bay=Former LIRR station, now closed. So that's the only part w/o LIRR.

No I didn't that was someone else. They said that Flatbush Avenue should have subway service, but that won't happen, because from bedrock, and soil readings Flatbush Avenue has a high water table, and rate due to the marsh that used to be there before the street, and buildings came, and it will not be able to handle an Elevated Line nor a Subway.

Sigh.

"Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1

From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it."

What did you not post?

Here it is. Flashbush Ave, that you mentioned.

Brooklyn College is served by the (2) and Flastbush by LIRR Atlantic Terminal. So that part does have decent service.

Down from Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College not at Flatbush Avenue, and besides the station is called Flatbush Avenue, because the exit is at Flatbush Avenue. There is a reason why it's called the Nostrand Avenue Line, because it travels down Nostrand Avenue. Any extension of the current line would be traveling down Nostrand Avenue to Sheepshead Bay.

That doesn't mean the line is going to run down Flatbush Avenue, and go down to Avenue U-Kings Plaza. The Utica Avenue Elevated is going to do that at the area where they intersect. The Nostrand Avenue Elevated is an extension of the current Nostrand Avenue Line, and would run down to Voorhies Avenue-Sheepshead Bay

It does not. The southern section of Nostrand Avenue has no subway or LIRR service nor do they have anything except the bus. From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it. It is one giant blank on the map, and it should get subway service as soon as the Utica Avenue Elevated is built. Also for all you criticisms if Nostrand Avenue doesn't need subway service then why is it getting SBS. You explain the reason why. The only way to solve this is to create an El that would go to Sheepshead Bay from the current Brooklyn College station. It isn't expensive nor is it going to take a long time to do.

What don't you get? Why does there have to be a Nostrand [30th st] line down there? Like others said there's the Culver and Brighton [16th st] lines that they can walk to or get a bus. That area doesn't need 3 parallel lines.

Obviously Utica Av [50th St] is most important since that area lacks any rail service.

I get that this is just fantasy, but where does it say you have to build a line every few blocks? There are places in Queens that needs subway service than Brooklyn. Even for a fantasy there are limits.

I speak for myself when I say a Flatbush Av extension of the (2)(5) to KP and/or a Utica Av line would be good enough.

B44 SBS will be running on another road and doesn't really do anyone that rides the B44 limited any good. B44sbs is going to be a mistake. If anything the B41 and B46, the 2 most crowded Brooklyn lines could use more help than the B44 does.

So I still don't get your obsession about Nostrand and I think trying to explain this to you is a lost cause, so you want to keep talking about Nostrand, start your own thread. It's clear you are still going to keep bringing this non issue up despite others here saying otherwise..

Of course, which is why I said and/or for either a Flatbush Av extension or a utica av line. Anything that's rail service for that area of Brooklyn. If there was a subway under Utica, they wouldn't need so many buses running or at least the limited service.

But I think if it is possible to have the (2)(5) extended south under Flatbush Av, that should be done since the B41 can be very inconsistant due to the congestion north of Nostrand Av.

Since I live close to the neighborhood,the B2,B3,B9,B31,B100 and other various buses all terminate in the marine park area. All of those buses go to the Brighton line, plenty of people use those buses to commute every morning, this is just your fantasy to recreate old plans, that aren't necessary today. Would I prefer an IRT train in my neighborhood? Yes, it would be nice, however I can just take the (:D or (Q) to Atlantic-Pacific complex and transfer there.

And Vistausss, im sure you're unaware of this but Flatbush Av, goes from Manhattan Bridge all the way to Gil Hodges Bridge. From Brooklyn College - Flatbush Av to Atlantic Terminal is about 3-4 miles.

That doesn't mean the line is going to run down Flatbush Avenue, and go down to Avenue U-Kings Plaza. The Utica Avenue Elevated is going to do that at the area where they intersect. The Nostrand Avenue Elevated is an extension of the current Nostrand Avenue Line, and would run down to Voorhies Avenue-Sheepshead Bay

What does Nostrand Av have to do with this? There is too much going on for Utica Av for it to have an elevated line. Period. Traffic is already a nightmare. You can't build an El on that avenue without causing additional traffic headaches. It just not feasable. Nostrand doesn't need one. Period. Why is the TA implementing SBS on Nostrand? To help ease overcrowding on Utica, and boost Nostrand express service. What is it with your obsession over El's? Cheap is not always good! Utica needs a subway. Period. The only question is when, and where it will terminate.

What don't you get? Why does there have to be a Nostrand [30th st] line down there? Like others said there's the Culver and Brighton [16th st] lines that they can walk to or get a bus. That area doesn't need 3 parallel lines.

Obviously Utica Av [50th St] is most important since that area lacks any rail service.

I get that this is just fantasy, but where does it say you have to build a line every few blocks? There are places in Queens that needs subway service than Brooklyn. Even for a fantasy there are limits.

I speak for myself when I say a Flatbush Av extension of the (2)(5) to KP and/or a Utica Av line would be good enough.

B44 SBS will be running on another road and doesn't really do anyone that rides the B44 limited any good. B44sbs is going to be a mistake. If anything the B41 and B46, the 2 most crowded Brooklyn lines could use more help than the B44 does.

So I still don't get your obsession about Nostrand and I think trying to explain this to you is a lost cause, so you want to keep talking about Nostrand, start your own thread. It's clear you are still going to keep bringing this non issue up despite others here saying otherwise..

This isn't fantasy though. The purpose of this discussion was to address the need for a subway in central Brooklyn, and the Utica Av problem. The TA is putting the service in the B44 because it can help Utica, albeit very little. If there was any possible way to put SBS on Utica, then that is where it would have been. I also brought this up, because a line down Utica has been on the table a few times.

And another thing, do you know how many buses cross Nostrand anyway? You got the B6, B82, B41, Q35 and more. Buses do the job good enough.

Also Utica is served by the B46 well enough anyway. Have you seen it's amazing Sunday schedule?!

That Utica schedule looks really pretty on paper, but that's how things operate on that line at all.

Really so would you mind if an elevated train ran by your neighborhood, but what if the elevated line was designed to be really beautiful. Would you approve of it?. Subways are again a good idea, but would take decades to implement. To make things fast, and cheap yet beautiful is the best option, and during construction you can redirect traffic to Flatbush, and Nostrand Avenue. East New York either have the line done in a year, and a half for only $200 million dollars, or have a subway that would take 20-30 years with costs in the $4 billion dollar range.

Exactly I live near one, and it doesn't wake me up one bit at night. If El's were so noisy then won't I wake up multiple times in my sleep. My brother would prefer El's too if they were built to look beautiful, and who says you can't make an el beautiful. You can make it a beautiful structure too.

Really so would you mind if an elevated train ran by your neighborhood, but what if the elevated line was designed to be really beautiful. Would you approve of it?. Subways are again a good idea, but would take decades to implement. To make things fast, and cheap yet beautiful is the best option, and during construction you can redirect traffic to Flatbush, and Nostrand Avenue.

I already have an Elevated in my neighborhood. It's not about what I do or don't like though. It's about what Utica needs, and will be able to support. An el will cause too many surface headaches and obstructions. I would love to se an EL crossing Eastern Pky, but it's never going to happen for about 10 different reasons. A subway however could one day become a reality.

As per ADA laws, all brand new stations (not rehabs) have to be completely ADA accessable. In other words, elevators, escalators, and the such, and thats one reason why SAS is taking so long, these elaborate fully accessible stations have to be built, and is another secondary reason why there are fewer stops. Thats why the new South Ferry came completely accessible, and remember that delay in its opening because of platform gaps (not that they were too wide for other stations in the system, but because ADA laws says less than i believe 3 inches). They had to go back and install wider rubbing boards.

Any expansion that would include new stops would have to have elevators along with escalators.

Exactly I live near one, and it doesn't wake me up one bit at night. If El's were so noisy then won't I wake up multiple times in my sleep. My brother would prefer El's too if they were built to look beautiful, and who says you can't make an el beautiful. You can make it a beautiful structure too.

But the thing is, you already have the el there when you lived there. This is about an el being built in an area that has never had one. Sure you can make it look nice and soundproof it, but people will have negative perceptions about it such as blocking out sunlight. So els are not ideal to most people especially those that have never had one in their front window.

Archived