The Next NYC Subway

East New York

Things change in 70 years. It's called progress.

The question that has to be answered is, how dense was the neighborhood around Utica in 1939? If the el came before the people, fine. But the people before the el? That's where you run into nimbyism.

Plus an El south of Brooklyn College would eliminate the need for the B41.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually around that time of 1939 Utica, and Nostrand Avenue still had farms, and a mediocre development of housing from what I read up.

There you go. That's why it was more feasible to build an elevated train structure back then. Look at the (7) structure on Roosevelt. Same story.

Try building an el there now, in an established community, and see the complaints pop up.

I am going to still see if they would like the idea of one. Or would they like the idea of having to wait for a subway line for the next 60 years. I am sure they might pick the El if you prove the point, and tell them how it's more beneficial then a subway line. When there is a will there is a way. In fact I believe the city would approve of El's if you can prove that it would be helpful. You could demonstrate successful El's, and new El's, and El's under construction, and if you win you prove a giant point, and will get the city on a building movement. I think in the future the Y generation including me would approve of mass transit since we already see the deepening oil crisis, the problems with automobiles, and that we should improve on green technology.

I always thought there was a perfect spot for an el in an area that was a parking lot between Flatbush and Nostrand south of Avenue H by where it goes over those freight links (Triboro RX anyone lol). However, the angle of the lot would send the el down Flatbush towards Kings Plaza, into less of a NIMBY area (established commerical on Flatbush) then down Nostrand, which is pure middle class residential all the way down from there.

Of course there's a big building there now with a popular Target and an Applebees that was put up a few years ago. In fact the Applebees was exactly where I envisioned the portal being to bring the tracks up high enough so there's not a low clearance when they turned onto Flatbush. The shallow construction of that terminal helps too, I think it is the shallowest underground terminal in the system.

I am going to still see if they would like the idea of one. Or would they like the idea of having to wait for a subway line for the next 60 years. I am sure they might pick the El if you prove the point, and tell them how it's more beneficial then a subway line. When there is a will there is a way. In fact I believe the city would approve of El's if you can prove that it would be helpful. You could demonstrate successful El's, and new El's, and El's under construction, and if you win you prove a giant point, and will get the city on a building movement. I think in the future the Y generation including me would approve of mass transit since we already see the deepening oil crisis, the problems with automobiles, and that we should improve on green technology.

An El is not gonna work

Why? Utica Av is not strong enough to support it (like ENY said)

So despite this you're still going to push it?

Els are noisy. There was a bus route in the Bronx that was sent down a different street after the service cuts, and people on that different street complained to no end about it. Mind you, this was about a bus route. Trains are noisier and more frequent. At least with a subway they would be out of sight and out of hearing range.

I like how you're thinking, but I believe there's a very slim chance that this city will build any more elevated lines. And even if they do, I seriously doubt there would be a giant elevated building movement anytime in the near future.

Can I just say that for the record, when Els are done right, they can be amazingly good to look at. Just look at Vancouver!

Valid point.

Plus an El south of Brooklyn College would eliminate the need for the B41.

If you are proposing the Nostrand line to run down Flatbush Av south of Av H to Kings Plaza, then it would probably eliminate the need for the Q35 to go there. But you still need the B41 since I doubt you'd have a stop at every Avenues. [ie: ~AV J*, KH, ~Av P*, Utica, KP]

*probably won't be built since the other stations are a bigger priority and if they need to get under budget.

As an alternative to an el on FB, what about if they were to have a tunnel? The current FB-Nostrand station probably can't be changed, but what if they were to have the line split just north of the station and curve underneath the station and go down Flatbush?

I though of making the stops on the El at the same location as the stations on the Brighton Line. The list of stations would be

South of Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue

-Avenue J

-Avenue M

-Kings Highway

-Avenue U

-Sheepshead Bay (Terminal).

All stations are ADA accessible with Elevators.

The El would be designed to be attractive. The pillars would be similar to Greek columns along with a concrete base for each column. The El structure would have Greek, and Roman artwork. Almost similar to a Roman or Greek Aqueduct.

Why? The streets are too narrow above Empire Bl/ENY Av (like I said for the millionth time), plus it will just add to the problem (which defeats the whole purpose of it)

Judging by Google Maps, it's wide enough until at least Eastern Parkway, which can support an SBS route from Utica to Nostrand.

I though of making the stops on the El at the same location as the stations on the Brighton Line. The list of stations would be

South of Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue

-Avenue J

-Avenue M

-Kings Highway

-Avenue U

-Neck Road

-Sheepshead Bay (Terminal).

All stations are ADA accessible with Elevators.

The El would be designed to be attractive. The pillars would be similar to Greek columns along with a concrete base for each column. The El structure would have Greek, and Roman artwork. Almost similar to a Roman or Greek Aqueduct.

Did you even Google Map that? Av U and Neck Road intersect at Nostrand. Unless you're going to Kings Plaza, which isn't Sheepshead anymore IIRC.

This is the other one.

Utica Avenue Elevated served by the (3), and a rush hour (4) stations.

-Lefferts Avenue-East New York Avenue

-Linden Boulevard

-Avenue D

-Flatland Avenue

-Avenue U-Kings Plaza (Terminal).

The Nostrand Avenue Elevated would threaten 3 businesses. The Utica Avenue Elevated would threaten 4.

Judging by Google Maps, it's wide enough until at least Eastern Parkway, which can support an SBS route from Utica to Nostrand.

The map is wrong if that's what it shows. Utica Avenue narrows approx. 2 blocks south of Eastern Parkway, at President St or at Crown St IIRC. From that point northward Utica Ave is very narrow until it ends at Fulton St. The intersection at Eastern Parkway is probably the most congested in Brooklyn, because of it's physical characteristics, along with the bridge connectors in Downtown Brooklyn.

The map is wrong if that's what it shows. Utica Avenue narrows approx. 2 blocks south of Eastern Parkway, at President St or at Crown St IIRC. From that point northward Utica Ave is very narrow until it ends at Fulton St. The intersection at Eastern Parkway is probably the most congested in Brooklyn, because of it's physical characteristics, along with the bridge connectors in Downtown Brooklyn.

I don't know about the congested part, but Utica is two lanes in each direction south of Eastern Parkway.

Google Map (please do not quote it):

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=utica+av+%26+eastern+parkway,+brooklyn,+ny&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.001301,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Eastern+Pkwy+%26+Utica+Ave,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11213&ll=40.668809,-73.93114&spn=0.009375,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.668669,-73.931142&panoid=noEJLiz7TWEHpwNU9AlSdg&cbp=12,201.61,,0,5.98&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=utica+av+%26+eastern+parkway,+brooklyn,+ny&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.001301,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Eastern+Pkwy+%26+Utica+Ave,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11213&ll=40.668809,-73.93114&spn=0.009375,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.668669,-73.931142&panoid=noEJLiz7TWEHpwNU9AlSdg&cbp=12,201.61,,0,5.98" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

I think a Utica Avenue, and a Nostrand Avenue Elevated designed beautifully would be beneficial as a whole, and that people should give El's a second chance. Oh yeah I also edited the Nostrand Avenue Elevated stations from the page before to correct, and tweaked it a bit. Also the Utica Avenue Elevated stations are all ADA accessible with elevators also.

I don't know about the congested part, but Utica is two lanes in each direction south of Eastern Parkway.

Google Map (please do not quote it):

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=utica+av+%26+eastern+parkway,+brooklyn,+ny&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.001301,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Eastern+Pkwy+%26+Utica+Ave,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11213&ll=40.668809,-73.93114&spn=0.009375,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.668669,-73.931142&panoid=noEJLiz7TWEHpwNU9AlSdg&cbp=12,201.61,,0,5.98&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=utica+av+%26+eastern+parkway,+brooklyn,+ny&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.001301,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Eastern+Pkwy+%26+Utica+Ave,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11213&ll=40.668809,-73.93114&spn=0.009375,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.668669,-73.931142&panoid=noEJLiz7TWEHpwNU9AlSdg&cbp=12,201.61,,0,5.98" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

The view as posted is looking s/b from the intersection at Eastern Parkway. Travel 3 blocks south of this picture and the street is considerably wider at that point. A lane for parking on both sides AND 2 lanes of traffic in both directions. I've walked or rode the B46 bus from this intersection to Winthrop St or Clarkson Ave for Winthrop JHS or PS 268 many years ago. Utica Avenue was also the terminal for the (5) line when I started my career and MY terminal when I retired. Maybe some Crown Heights-East Flatbush-Brownsville posters can confirm this for me.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The view as posted is looking s/b from the intersection at Eastern Parkway. Travel 3 blocks south of this picture and the street is considerably wider at that point. A lane for parking on both sides AND 2 lanes of traffic in both directions. I've walked or rode the B46 bus from this intersection to Winthrop St or Clarkson Ave for Winthrop JHS or PS 268 many years ago. Utica Avenue was also the terminal for the (5) line when I started my career and MY terminal when I retired. Maybe some Crown Heights-East Flatbush-Brownsville posters can confirm this for me.

North of about President St, it becomes 1 traveling lane each direction and 1 parking lane each direction for a total of 4 lanes. It follows this pattern to Fulton St, then follows it again on Malcolm X. Blvd all the way until it ends at Broadway

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

North of about President St, it becomes 1 traveling lane each direction and 1 parking lane each direction for a total of 4 lanes. It follows this pattern to Fulton St, then follows it again on Malcolm X. Blvd all the way until it ends at Broadway

Thanks for your help. That's what I was trying to convey to the poster with the Google map. Now, if I could explain the distance between Utica and Flatbush avenues at this location compared to the Kings Plaza area to the "el builder" out there. The best I could come up with is that it's 5 stops away on the (3) between Utica Ave and Grand Army Plaza (Flatbush Avenue) stations. From some of his posts it appears he thinks the streets parallel each other.

Archived