The Next NYC Subway

East New York

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a Utica Avenue, and a Nostrand Avenue Elevated designed beautifully would be beneficial as a whole, and that people should give El's a second chance. Oh yeah I also edited the Nostrand Avenue Elevated stations from the page before to correct, and tweaked it a bit. Also the Utica Avenue Elevated stations are all ADA accessible with elevators also.

Not to say I agree with the NIMBY's, but would you be so willing to have an el built right in front of your house?

I still don't think Nostrand really needs subway service compared to areas along Flatbush Av. At least Nostrand has the Brighton line a few blocks away. Flatbush cuts thru an area of Brooklyn that has no rail service at all. The other option of course would be a Utica Av line.

Not to say I agree with the NIMBY's, but would you be so willing to have an el built right in front of your house?

I'd have no problem if they looked gorgeous like they do in Vancouver. Heck, even the JFK Airtrain looks nice (which is made by the same technology).

Els are noisy. There was a bus route in the Bronx that was sent down a different street after the service cuts, and people on that different street complained to no end about it. Mind you, this was about a bus route. Trains are noisier and more frequent. At least with a subway they would be out of sight and out of hearing range.

I believe you may be referring to the Bx8 and the Country Club residents. For the record, from what I've heard, the general voice of CC wants to have their cake and eat it too. However I still understand your argument about the subway vs. El

I'd have no problem if they looked gorgeous like they do in Vancouver. Heck, even the JFK Airtrain looks nice (which is made by the same technology).

Well, that's true. Flatbush and Utica [as far as I know below av H] should both be wide enough to support a 2-track el. Nostrand is still too narrow imo. That's why I don't have a problem with els as long as it isn't right next to a building.

I don't find anything wrong with El's. Using real information it can take a year to just build 3 stations for an El. A subway line would a decade or more. You can finish a Utica Avenue Elevated in a year, and a half. It's the same with a Nostrand Avenue Elevated. The subway line could take 20 years. The Elevated is cheaper then a subway tunnel. It can also be built to pleasing to the eye. It can also be designed to impact the neighborhood with less noise if done right also.

Remember: Vancouver built the Expo Line starting in 1983 and finished the first phase in 1985. That's 15 stations with 21km of track (13 miles). Imagine that amount of progress in New York! If only we had the passion of the IND from the 30s and 40s.

Did you ever think about looking at the street in person and seeing how out of the question an el would be on Nostrand?

I'll say it again: there are other parts of Brooklyn that could use rail service over Nostrand which has other services 'within a bus ride'.

Utica and Flatbush Av are far enough away from Brighton and should get lines before Nostrand does.

I do agree with you that the Utica Avenue Elevated is priority. From using Google Earth 4 buildings would have to be razed to make room for the (3), and a rush hour (4) to run as an Utica Avenue Elevated, but construction of the entire line would only take a year, and a half, and would be cheaper, and faster then a subway which would at least take 20 years to open.

Nostrand Av doesn't require a subway service, most of the people living in those communities commute via bus to the Brighton line, there are several buses that terminate at Kings Hwy (:P(Q) station. I myself live a couple of blocks however I walk to the Brighton line each and every day, its just only a few more blocks apart.

Remember: Vancouver built the Expo Line starting in 1983 and finished the first phase in 1985. That's 15 stations with 21km of track (13 miles). Imagine that amount of progress in New York! If only we had the passion of the IND from the 30s and 40s.

Don't forget thatlabor laws were different back then...it's really sad that it took the City four years to build a ten-mile (est.) section of track whereas it took 20+ years to build a one-mile connection between Queensbridge and Manhattan.

Indeed and if that's not good enough, than NoStrand-people can even take the LIRR from NoStrand Ave LIRR station.

The Nostrand Avenue LIRR station only benefits those who live north of Atlantic Ave. If you live in Sheepshead Bay, it's a long way to the LIRR station. Better to take the (2) or (5) at Flatbush.

The Nostrand Avenue LIRR station only benefits those who live north of Atlantic Ave. If you live in Sheepshead Bay, it's a long way to the LIRR station. Better to take the (2) or (5) at Flatbush.

True. But it's notable in addition to the subway and buses, 'cause it does hit a quite a few people living in the surroundings of NoStrand Ave LIRR.

It does not. The southern section of Nostrand Avenue has no subway or LIRR service nor do they have anything except the bus. From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it. It is one giant blank on the map, and it should get subway service as soon as the Utica Avenue Elevated is built. Also for all you criticisms if Nostrand Avenue doesn't need subway service then why is it getting SBS. You explain the reason why. The only way to solve this is to create an El that would go to Sheepshead Bay from the current Brooklyn College station. It isn't expensive nor is it going to take a long time to do.

It does not. The southern section of Nostrand Avenue has no subway or LIRR service nor do they have anything except the bus. From Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College all the way down to Sheepshead Bay get it. It is one giant blank on the map, and it should get subway service as soon as the Utica Avenue Elevated is built. Also for all you criticisms if Nostrand Avenue doesn't need subway service then why is it getting SBS. You explain the reason why. The only way to solve this is to create an El that would go to Sheepshead Bay from the current Brooklyn College station. It isn't expensive nor is it going to take a long time to do.

There's isnt any demand for a subway, east of Nostrand is Marine park, and also a water treatment facility.

The Utica Avenue Elevated would serve Marine Park, and Kings Plaza. The Nostrand Avenue Elevated would be built after the Utica Avenue Elevated, and provide more service to Sheepshead Bay. If I want I can create a sixth station on the Utica Avenue Elevated south of Avenue U-Kings Plaza called Marine Park-Floyd Bennetts Field. That station would most likely have low ridership in the winter months, but would have a higher ridership in the summer months when people go to the airfield to watch airshows, and for the people going to the park.

Archived