About Dead Motors

6 Lexington Ave

On an NTT the best way for a RIDER to tell whether a motor is dead is to listen for screaming brakes at higher speeds. If you hear them it means the motor's dynamic brake feature is not working (since the motor is dead), so the friction brake is being used instead.

Of course, since dead motors are not something riders need to worry about, that's why it's only "broadcast" on the TOD.

On an NTT the best way for a RIDER to tell whether a motor is dead is to listen for screaming brakes at higher speeds. If you hear them it means the motor's dynamic brake feature is not working (since the motor is dead), so the friction brake is being used instead.

Of course, since dead motors are not something riders need to worry about, that's why it's only "broadcast" on the TOD.

Or, the smell of burnt rubber when an NTT's doors open up.

That's why nobody mentions it.

Some things are better off just not being said lol

The train motors get worn out and eventually die out just like any other motor would if you were to run it 24/7; like said you can tell a dead motor by looking at a yellow light sticking out of the side of the train or by smelling burnt rubber when the train is stopping

iirc ive heard that a train can have up to 3 cars with dead motors before it gets pulled out of service or something like that..can't confirm that though

As a matter of fact, you won't be able to hear the propulsion on that car if it had a dead motor.

Correct, but to be technically correct, propulsion on a train is never heard (unless you happen to be underneath a train and listening to the group run up - not recommended).

What is heard are the motors, and on NTT's, the conversion from DC to AC. NTT motors can be heard also but they are quite quiet. The main noise you hear from an NTT is the conversion.

iirc ive heard that a train can have up to 3 cars with dead motors before it gets pulled out of service or something like that..can't confirm that though

I remember reading on nycsubway.org that a train has to be taken out of service if 1/3 of its cars have dead motors. 1 dead motor is nbd.

Ok, so lets discuss the dead motor issue. What you all posted is true, and from the books. The truth is, on OTT trains (SMEE), we can have that amber light on, on the outside, and still have all four traction motors working. It's common on the (3) line. On NTT trains, the TOD won't display dead motors, and hasn't for a while (many years). When enough motors die out, on NTT trains, then the TOD displays (Insufficient Propulsion). A RCI or TSS with the "maintenance screen key" fro the TOD, can go into the screen, and find the dead motors. On the Kawasaki R142 on the TOD they press maintenance, then system status, then propulsion. Funny thing, is some don't know how to do that, explaining why some lines have way to many dead motors, which leads to the screeching, screaming, grinding, jerky brakes ((6) line). They go into the event recorder, which sometimes show it, and sometimes doesn't. To many Car Equipment personnel, especially at Westchester yard, don't know how to fix or maintain a train. The GM on the (6) line should be putting an end to his line having the loudest braking trains in the IRT. Even the R62's on the (3) line, brake better and have less of this issue............

To tell when any train has dead motors, just open your nose, and smell the burning smell of burning brakes (smells like burning rubber). Just open your ears, and when a train is going fast, then takes a brake, you immediately hear "screech, and/or grinding of brakes on the wheels", the train has dead motors. Just ride the (6) line, and you will get an ear full.........

It's not 3 dead motors that a train gets taken OOS. You must have enough dead motors to get 3 dead cars. That means on R62/A's you need four dead motors (4 motors on each car) on 3 cars. That will give you 3 dead cars, which is 12 dead motors...........

I'm curious- in a worst case scenario, how many fully dead cars can a single car with all working motors possibly pull?

This is more of a theoretical question, not that I would expect to see a train like this in service.

Possibly 1. If need be, they would use a full 10 car train, to push/pull another, to a spur track. A dead train, can't just sit and block up the railroad all day. Money talks, and they go to present good numbers to Albany........

Possibly 1. If need be, they would use a full 10 car train, to push/pull another, to a spur track. A dead train, can't just sit and block up the railroad all day. Money talks, and they go to present good numbers to Albany........

Interesting...I always thought each car was powerful enough to pull a few cars besides itself. Guess not, lol.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It should be powerful enough. I think B cars do not have motors, but i don't know.

All active cars have motors in them (I think one per axle, so that's 2 per truck). The only exception to this rule was the R110A/B where the middle car of a set was just a car body and trucks, no motors

It should be powerful enough. I think B cars do not have motors, but i don't know.

Only the B cars on the R142s/R142As are half motored... one motor truck and one trailer truck... other than that, EVERY other car on the system have 100% motored axles.

Archived