The end of the yellow/white page phone books?

Shortline Bus

Thought i ask a question about the Yellow/White Page phone books? Does anyone here use them for getting phone numbers? Or you guys use online sources such as whitepages.com

This week here in the Hudson Valley, Verzion the state largest phone provider began to deliver their annual listing of the Yellow/White Pages Phone Directories. However some historic changes to them.

First they only gave out a smaller version of the phone book. Second they announced that effective immedately after these directories are given out, they will no longer be delivering them.

The new policy is that from now on, Verzion will give '1' free copy only each year to a household by calling them thru a 800 number. After that it's now $40 for the full directory. Verzion states the high costs of creating them.

Not to mention cutting down on the use of paper to make the phone books.

Just wanted to hear from you guys on the phone book. Yes the end of an era.:eek:

Guest lance25

I'm surprised it took this long. Even for those without easy access to the internet, 411 is always available. Plus, with the ever-decreasing font size for the listings, it's almost impossible to read any numbers anyhow.

We actually still have an AD in the yellow pages for our services but we definitely cut back. Overall I'd say it's not worth it. We get maybe 3 - 4 inquires a year at my New York office, although the New Jersey offices may get more, but if it were up to me, we would have ditched it years ago and I would have taken the money and invested it into optimization of our website.

However, lilbluefoxie makes a good point. When our internet was down three years ago, the Yellow pages came in handy...

Guest lance25
bad idea, its always good to have a phone book as a backup in case of a power failure, internet is no good without power ;)

The only people I'd want to call in the event of a power outage is Con Edison (or whatever your local equivalent is), and their number is always right there on the bill.

Just saying...

As an aside, it's always good to have at least one corded phone that plugs directly into the phone line in case of any power failure.

I'm surprised it took this long. Even for those without easy access to the internet, 411 is always available. Plus, with the ever-decreasing font size for the listings, it's almost impossible to read any numbers anyhow.

I am sure this new policy from Verzion will come to NYC's metro area soon if not already. This applies only to Verzion upstate where I currently live and not the other phone book companies.(if they still around )

This may make me sound old but I still the yellow pages alot such as to avoid the $1.99 per call fee that applies to using '411' for cell or landline calls.

Being fair for years, the yellow pages when I still lived in the 5 boros would often filled in the trash especially right after new ones were delivered.

In recent years with the widespread use of websites like whitepages.com.

I am in no way an 'mother mother' recycle freak but that a waste of paper.

This is a better plan than say raise the cost of cell phones or landline ones.

Starting next year if I am still here in Poughkeepsie I will still call that '800'

number and have that phone book as a back up.

First they only gave out a smaller version of the phone book. Second they announced that effective immedately after these directories are given out, they will no longer be delivering them.

Really? They never told me this, and the yellow pages from both Verizon and "YellowPages" have gotten bigger and more numerous as they seek to grow advertising revenue.

I use phone books as weights or steps.

Really? They never told me this, and the yellow pages from both Verizon and "YellowPages" have gotten bigger and more numerous as they seek to grow advertising revenue.

I use phone books as weights or steps.

Because I live in the 'hicks' of Upstate Ducthess County lol. Verzion for this area starting with the March 2012 editions will still delivery but you have to call them.

Plus Amtrak you in Nassau County, part of Metro NYC. The NYC yellow pages especially the manhattan ones when I was growing up were the size of dictionaries.

What gets on my nerves is time to time around, my apartment building gets a whole load of phonebooks. over 50% of them are not taken, thats a HUGE waste of trees right there. My apartment building lies about recycling, so those phonebooks just wind up in the landfill. IMO thats just a HUGE waste. smh. :tdown:

The Manhattan Yellow Pages was called The Redbook and featured a subway map (on yellow paper in the front. You memory about the size is good.

Because I live in the 'hicks' of Upstate Ducthess County lol. Verzion for this area starting with the March 2012 editions will still delivery but you have to call them.

Plus Amtrak you in Nassau County, part of Metro NYC. The NYC yellow pages especially the manhattan ones when I was growing up were the size of dictionaries.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Archived