Question About 8713-8722 & The Seats.

Cait Sith

Yeah so apparently this set is still at Jamaica and it still has them seats. It's been over a good couple of months since the MTA decided to use that set as a test set for them folding seats as a pilot project. My question is, what the hell is the status of this pilot? It's been quite a long time that this has been going on.

If anyone has any answers or statements, please post em up as this would make a rather interesting discussion. And keep this on a NORMAL level, dont want to see fights or shit breaking loose in here.

The pilot failed. The set probably won't be converted back... Probably explains why one of Jamaica's other R160 seats had the poles changed for the pilot but not the seats.

arent those poles a preview of the R179? :confused:

SevenEleven is right...the MTA pulled that program over the summer due to the cuts, sensing that passengers would be basically getting screwed over trying to cram into a subway car like sardines.

News article that goes in depth about it: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_you_can_rest_easy_seatless_subway_plan_nixed_by_mta.html#ixzz0xlOdvVot

Another article: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/08/mta_decides_this_is_probably_n.html

Yeah so apparently this set is still at Jamaica and it still has them seats. It's been over a good couple of months since the MTA decided to use that set as a test set for them folding seats as a pilot project. My question is, what the hell is the status of this pilot? It's been quite a long time that this has been going on.

If anyone has any answers or statements, please post em up as this would make a rather interesting discussion. And keep this on a NORMAL level, dont want to see fights or shit breaking loose in here.

The test was over before it even started, the set still has cameras in it. As far as I know, the seats were only folded up with to see that they actually worked. From what I have been told, the seats won't be replaced with the original for the time being. It cost money to reinstall them and why should they spend the money.

The test was over before it even started, the set still has cameras in it. As far as I know, the seats were only folded up with to see that they actually worked. From what I have been told, the seats won't be replaced with the original for the time being. It cost money to reinstall them and why should they spend the money.

What about the Cameras? Is it going to be expanded?

arent those poles a preview of the R179? :confused:

No Comment.

What about the Cameras? Is it going to be expanded?

The R179 will have them and I think the new IRT cars will too. As for R160s getting them, I doubt it. Something like that is an expensive retro fit and isn't really worth the money.

Ahh alright, thanks :tup:

The R179 will have them and I think the new IRT cars will too. As for R160s getting them, I doubt it. Something like that is an expensive retro fit and isn't really worth the money.

Well I guess that means the cameras were a sucess then? Shame the current cars won't get them. Would be good to catch vandals especially ones scratching up the FIND screens.

Well I guess that means the cameras were a sucess then? Shame the current cars won't get them. Would be good to catch vandals especially ones scratching up the FIND screens.

When it comes to vandalism, cameras are usually useless since who in their right mind would do it with out covering their face. Even if they do ID the vandal, the chances of catching him/her and having that person pay for the damages is slim to none. Cameras are only good at helping to solve a crime after the fact.

Archived