United States launches missiles as allied forces attack Moammar Khadafy's military

Broadway Local

alg_us.jpg

America and its allies took their first shots at Moammar Khadafy Saturday after the Libyan dictator defied his own cease-fire in a frenzied effort to crush rebel forces.

A U.S. warship fired more than 100 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Libyan air defenses soon after French warplanes obliterated several of Khadafy's tanks.

Two American destroyers and three submarines were near Libya's coast to support what Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called "all necessary measures."

The Pentagon said missile strikes hit 20 sites inside Libya at military installations at or near the Mediterranean coast.

President Obama, traveling in Brazil, confirmed U.S. involvement in a "limited" mission to enforce a U.N. no-fly zone.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/19/2011-03-19_united_states_launches_missiles_against_libya_as_allied_forces_attack_moammar_kh.html#ixzz1H68TzBZh

Typical conservative comment.

Is nothing the president ever does good enough for you? I thought you sort loved war. Unless a Democrat starts it, huh?

So you support this 'intervention' then? Sadly Iraq can't be undone, but the troops should be pulled out of there asap. There was no point of that war.

Me personally: the so called rebels could end up being worse than Khadafy. This is not to say he should stay, but he is the 'devil we know'. Last thing that area needs is another power vacuum.

Typical conservative comment.

Is nothing the president ever does good enough for you? I thought you sort loved war. Unless a Democrat starts it, huh?

Its just hypocracy to spend much of your political career trying to derail one war but then start your own military conflict.

There is no point in attacking Libya, the guy who runs it is a big jerk but they arent actively threatening us. Kadafy is no Hugo Chavez or Achmadenijad

Well like I said, the guy needs to go, but we can't just help the "enemy of my enemy", that's sort of how Iran fell to the hands of the religious nut jobs. Khadafy is a dicator, but on the same coin, you have to worry about who these "rebels" are. We know nothing about them other than them wanting Khadafy gone. That's not a valid reason to get rid of him.

I'm not going into Iraq, we all know most people were mislead about it. That's undeniable.

I'm no fan of Barack these days, and I'm immensely disappointed on his failings regarding the Iraq war, Guantanamo, and the Bush tax cuts. However, this war (it isn't one yet, however) is necessary. I hate to say it, but something needed to be done.

It's just ignorance to claim the Iraq war is legitimate while criticize intervention upon a crazed, madman military ruler.

What in your eyes makes Libya more justified than Iraq and Afganistan, the situations seem basically the same, kill the dictator.

Iraq was a bs war started by a pathetic president searching for made-up weapons of mass destruction in order to look important and blow things up.

Afghanistan we have a war going absolutely nowhere in a bizarre "bomb the country" solution to finding terrorists we won't ever catch.

Libya, we see a madman dictator who is relentlessly attacking his own country and disobeying a U.N. ceasefire. We have intervened to attempt to stop the man who, by disobeying the ceasefire, has clearly lost any remaining semblance of sanity in his body.

Sadaam was just as bad a dictator as Kadafy. You cant be anti-war then support another useless military conflict because your guys wanted it

Its just hypocracy to spend much of your political career trying to derail one war but then start your own military conflict.

There is no point in attacking Libya, the guy who runs it is a big jerk but they arent actively threatening us. Kadafy is no Hugo Chavez or Achmadenijad

Since when was Hugo Chavez a threat to us?

hes always calling america the great satan and calling for the downfall of america, he is all buddy buddy with the maniac running Iran

But has he funded any operation against the US? Has Hugo Chavez legitimately endangered the lives of Americans? Semantics and company doesn't make an enemy out of a person.

Aside from the fact that the wikileaks people showed that infact THERE WERE WMDs FOUND IN IRAQ (just another case of the correction being burried in the back of the papers)

Thats funny, because I found nothing to back that claim up.

So you got your sources from two politically skewed blogs that word information to further their own goals and distort the truth. Good job!

New York Post

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/us_did_find_iraq_wmd_AYiLgNbw7pDf7AZ3RO9qnM

Wired magazine

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/10/wikileaks-show-wmd-hunt-continued-in-iraq-with-surprising-results/#ixzz13CSNDnzb

I have alot more, or you could just admit Mr. Bush was right all along and you've been belving a lie for 8 years.

You obviously didn't read the wired article. If you did you would see that the majority of what they found was destroyed during the Gulf war in the 1990s. The Post just quotes the Wired article. Nothing that indicates anything that was made post 1991, and nothing to indicate that Hussein had an active WMD program when the US invaded the country.

This attack on Libya is justified. Khadafy is attacking, and killing his own civilians. Have you read on what he is doing to the cities along the coast. He is bombing, and attacking people that had done nothing wrong. This is inhumane, and is naturally a crime against humanity. Would any of you guys support a president that kills his own people?. If anyone of you do then you are literally a sick human.

Archived