AT&T to Buy T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

mark1447

Verizon & sprint use CDMA, which means no voice & data at the same time.

Verizon wireless is actually a partnership between verizon landline (formerly bell atlantic/MCI and vodafone.

"oh em gee att is horrible" Why? Actual reasons?

I've been with att since 2005 and i've never had any issues with them, and they have gone above and beyond many times for me.

By the way, this means the lightly used 1700 mhz frequency will possibly be used by future att handsets, finally solving the urban congestion issue.

Do any of you actually know what this takeover means, or is it just going to be a diatribe of "oh em gee att sucks" etc? Seriously. Some people use att because they have roll over minutes, fast data speeds and just because they don't low ball their pricing doesn't mean they are somehow "not good".

- A

You know damn well that there are gonna be changes for the people that have T-Mobile service. And it's gonna be for the worse. First, prices are going to change. Yeah, go up. Then, when your service costs nearly $150/month, BAM. No more unlimited data. Now they're probably gonna charge the same price for data ($25/2GB-$45/4GB) - wait....let's just look at one of the plans.

Nation Unlimited: Unlimited minutes ONLY - $69.99

Okay, let's add a 4GB Data plan. New total - $114.99

Unlimited messaging. Okay, add that and - $134.99

So a (close to) comparable plan from AT&T would cost me $140+ a month (adding taxes). Currently, I pay $79.99 a month for Unlimited minutes, messages AND data from T-Mobile. AT&T doesn't have unlimited data plans anymore and will probably also strip T-Mobile of it's unlimited data services too (of course after killing the brand.)

the good news is, T-Mobile people when teh merger is done will be able to get iPhones

And then you'll see the comparative network rape and slow down that AT&T already is dealing with. Goodbye GSM. And I will NOT be saying hello to CDMA.

the good news is, T-Mobile people when teh merger is done will be able to get iPhones

Newest Ipod touch [with the camera] + wifi router > iphone. No need for the headaches of At&t or Verizon plans.

Of course if you intend on using the ipod outside of your house, that's a different story. For me, home use is all i need for it.

I read some of those ppls post and it said they will honor current tmobile plans. It would only change if you need to change your plan.

Sprint and Verizon is going to be very happy companies. Because a ton of ppl will jump to either one after this.

If they stick to their word then I might stay with them, better not raise my fees and shit. If they dont, count me in on that list. No way in hell am I wasting my G2, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet. If anything, I'd beeline for the Evo Shift 4G.

Doesn't this deal mean that AShit&T will be the only GSM carrier in the United States? Does nobody think that that would be a friggin' monopoly?

If people really get up and bitch about it to their representatives maybe it won't go through. :P

Here's an article on it from yesterday...

http://blogs.forbes.com/elizabethwoyke/2011/03/20/analyst-enormous-regulatory-risk-for-atampt-t-mobile-deal/

And then you'll see the comparative network rape and slow down that AT&T already is dealing with. Goodbye GSM. And I will NOT be saying hello to CDMA.

I'm not one of these people that uses phone data plans 24/7 I dont even have a smartphone, i got this old nokia that just makes calls. Whatever it is, to be able to check a few things sparingly or to go on aim in the abscence of a wifi network would be an improvement for me :P

It's crazy in there, I'm not surprised either. AT&T has a very bad rep (they kinda deserve most of it too). In my experience T-Mobile's network is stronger than AT&T's (at least in Queens/Long Island). Both are sneaky with charges though.

Dropped data and calls aren't rare.

Wouldn't network quality actually increase though?

It's crazy in there, I'm not surprised either. AT&T has a very bad rep (they kinda deserve most of it too). In my experience T-Mobile's network is stronger than AT&T's (at least in Queens/Long Island).

Dropped data and calls aren't rare.

Wouldn't network quality actually increase though?

Tmobile has a lot of dead spots in Nassau County, particularly Brookville/Old Westbury and the Great Neck/Port Washington area

Tmobile has a lot of dead spots in Nassau County, particularly Brookville/Old Westbury and the Great Neck/Port Washington area

Interesting, I'm not really ever over there so you'd know more about that. AT&T has a lot of dead spots in East Queens in general such as Bayside and various areas in SE Queens such as parts of Merrick Blvd. I know they both have dead zones in Suffolk County, going to the beach and certain parks everyone's (minus CDMA) phone goes off.

Interstate 80 service is just SAD, talk about truly nothing. It's insane.

Interesting, I'm not really ever over there so you'd know more about that. AT&T has a lot of dead spots in East Queens in general such as Bayside and various areas in SE Queens such as parts of Merrick Blvd. I know they both have dead zones in Suffolk County, going to the beach and certain parks everyone's (minus CDMA) phone goes off.

Interstate 80 service is just SAD, talk about truly nothing. It's insane.

I used to go to school at New York tech, and I remember from the Brookville/Old Westbury village line to like past SUNY old westbury on the ride home there was like hardly any cell phone signal.

Don't these idiots know what they're doing? They're going to cause GSM networks to become congested, resulting in slow 3G speeds. Looks like CDMA might outperform GSM soon in terms of network speed.

Yeah billion dollar corporations are run by idiots..

Lets use some common sense here. AT&T is Buying T-Mobile. That means all of T-mobiles repeaters and equipment becomes property of AT&T..

So lets use some logic. If no equipment is being lost, only gained.. How is there going to be MORE congestion? Traffic is going to be spread out over both AT&T and T-Mobiles networks as they will be merged into one.

Lets use some common sense here. AT&T is Buying T-Mobile. That means all of T-mobiles repeaters and equipment becomes property of AT&T..

So lets use some logic. If no equipment is being lost, only gained.. How is there going to be MORE congestion? Traffic is going to be spread out over both AT&T and T-Mobiles networks as they will be merged into one.

I, for one, am worried far more about the GSM monopoly being created rather than congestion.

Thats funny, because I was around those areas not too long ago with my dad and I had full bars and GREAT service!

AT&T is said to have the worst reliability in terms of coverage out of the major service providers. That's not exactly something that is good for consumers. I can speak to that first hand. One minute you're blazing and the next you've got no signal.

Archived