SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Most underground stations with original tile look like they only need a good scrubbing and coat of paint to look like new, and those stations are well over seven decades old.

That wall only dates back to the late '80s and it's already crumbling.

That wasn't the case at 181st St on the (1). They knew about that century old rotting ceiling just 10 years before the brick ceiling finally collapsing in 2009. Yet here we are almost 7 years later and scaffolding still holds up at the station.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does all A division lines at the last stop (some terminals) doesn't close the doors like the B Division (as in one moving to the other side then closing all doors with one to open)?

You mean zone switch and partial close?

All trains at terminals that don't involve a relay do it. All trains zone switch at terminals regardless (except the R32/42)

So were any of those punks who got arrested at 205 St last night for fscking with rollsigns members here? Or friends of members here? I don't know how anyone can call themselves a "railfan" when they continue to vandalize the trains they claim to love......at least this time we won't be having any crazy R68 photos that were "randomly" caught in action......

That wasn't the case at 181st St on the (1). They knew about that century old rotting ceiling just 10 years before the brick ceiling finally collapsing in 2009. Yet here we are almost 7 years later and scaffolding still holds up at the station.

I thought they would have fixed that by now.  I was just fresh out of high school when the ceiling collapsed..

So were any of those punks who got arrested at 205 St last night for fscking with rollsigns members here? Or friends of members here? I don't know how anyone can call themselves a "railfan" when they continue to vandalize the trains they claim to love......at least this time we won't be having any crazy R68 photos that were "randomly" caught in action......

Oh God, not this again. Let me guess. David Ortiz (a well known subway vandal) still hasen't given up stealing rollsigns. When will this shit ever stop. <_< Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Didn't think this was worth making a new topic:

Caught this happening at 59st/Columbus Circle last week. You might not recognize that black box on the tripod, but I did. That's an nctech iStar 360 degree camera. 

Not sure who's doing the capturing, but SOMEONE is going to have google-street-view style imagery of the interior of subway stations soon, it would seem.

8MpaZsxl.jpg

USXdFDYl.png

Didn't think this was worth making a new topic:

Caught this happening at 59st/Columbus Circle last week. You might not recognize that black box on the tripod, but I did. That's an nctech iStar 360 degree camera.

Not sure who's doing the capturing, but SOMEONE is going to have google-street-view style imagery of the interior of subway stations soon, it would seem.

its being done for the entire system

Why is it that sometimes, especially on elevated lines, you see extra rails in the trackbed?

Those are called "Guard Rails". 

In the event of a derailment, they help mitigate the effects by keeping the derailed wheels fairly close to the running rails. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_rails_(railroad)

As you might imagine these are important on the elevated lines, to attempt and prevent the train from skipping right off the elevated structure and into nearby buildings if it derails. 

They're also used heavily in sharp curves. I once found a document illustrating the different manners of construction required for different radii of turns, but I cant seem to find it again. 

You'd be amazed some of the stuff we have in our DRAW database. And also our beta countdown clocks for the B div. It really does pay to be an MTA employee!

All with that beautiful failed photoshop of a C40LF on the M103. The graphic designers really get the big bucks for their work.