BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yeah Technically the X buses were to have the lower numbers, whe the locals have the higher numbers, in which there is an oddball case with the X42 (shared with S42 on Staten Island)

This probably didn't adopt into the other borough

oohh ok i see thanks...staten islands uniformed! :D

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whyy doesnt staten island have single digit routes?? the lowest route is s40 -.-

why couldnt there be a S8, or S3, maybe because it sounds similar to X1 S1, X4 S4 or something??

Yeah, well pretty much everybody answered the question. Basically, SI is the only borough where express bus usage is anywhere near comparable to local bus usage (and it's the only borough with 20+ express routes). If you subtracted 40 from each route number, you'd end up with cases like the S14 (Current S54) vs. X14, and they both go along Manor Road, which could be confusing to some. A lot of people say "1", "10", "17", etc.

I mean, you do have that in a few other boroughs (B3 intersects BM3, Bx1 intersects BxM1, and probably a couple of others), but it isn't as commonplace as SI, and also, it's probably more clear what somebody means when they say "1" or "3". or something.

Actually, I remember during the service reductions, they were cutting the S42, but somebody was so used to hearing "42" used for the express buses, that they thought they were going to cut the X42 (and "X" sounds a lot like "S", which could also be part of the reason they set it up like that). Anyway, they sent a whole letter talking about how the "S42" provides a quicker route than the "S12", and it's often crowded by the time it hits Slosson Avenue and all that, when the X42 wasn't affected at all.

But in a lot of cities, the express routes are often the higher numbers. The lower numbers are usually the core, local routes.

On a side note, 42 is the only number you'll find in all 5 boroughs (M42, Bx42, S42, B42, Q42), as well as an express route (X42).

Ok, now here's me hoping for the LFS. :P Guys, you're looking at your newest member of TEAM LFS. <_<

Nyctrman is working on an excellent LFS for OMSI... is should be done soon lol

Despite this kid still making us look bad, I'm still team XD40. For MTA service, I think it's the better bus. (Not necessarily a fact)

Back to neutral... lmao

Edited by Threxx

*sighs* That's it. Back on TEAM NEUTRAL!

Anybody with me?

Um... ok then...

As much as I like both, doesn't the XD40 look rather clunky, in comparison to the LFS?

This. From an aesthetic view alone, the LFS beats the XD40 by miles.

Oh well, what the MTA gets is what they will get, and we'll just have to accept it and move on.

Um... ok then...

This. From an aesthetic view alone, the LFS beats the XD40 by miles.

Oh well, what the MTA gets is what they will get, and we'll just have to accept it and move on.

True, I'll admit that it took some time for me to get used to the rear window of the LFS but it really grew on me over time. Anyway I don't care all to much, but it will be interesting to see who (MTA) goes with at the end.

Nova dont worry about it...this isn't the place for me to be...im known as a Foamer...that causes people to leave...but its all good...

Don't get so emotional.....we get it, you LOVE the Xcelsior but quite frankly don't let it (the hobby) overtake your teenage years...there are classic memories to be made, girls to meet, social gatherings to attend etc... I probably love the Xcelsior as much as you do but I know there is more to life than it...I only write down bus numbers because I have to in my line of work. Nonetheless, I hope you get what I'm saying here...yes you can love the Xcelsior and the hobby in general but don't isolate yourself from your peers (don't succumb to negative peer pressure either!) in vain of chasing a bunch of buses.

Edited by youngblaze