BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Exclusive!! Thinking about where they should put the logo, im thinking on the top left going down...like this

(MTA)

New

York

City 

Bus

Maybe they'll omit it on 4899.

Also, still interested in that XD35? Check your status from last night.

Just need to put it on the engine hatch or on a numberplate like they did with 2185.

oohh yeahh, and the RTS. 

Maybe they'll omit it on 4899.

Also, still interested in that XD35? Check your status from last night.

I saw, and it was not for me, it was for a guy i know who operates school buses, he was trying to see if the school bus company would purchase xcelsior buses. (my idea) .They would, but it cost a lot of money i believe. 

Back to the incident with 4839, I think all operators should check all panels before starting their run. I have seen like, 3-5 buses driving with their rear panel open (next to their lights). They all are from Stengel, a while back I saw an Orion 5 drive near Bay Terrace with it's rear panel open. I have also seen OG's and NG's with their rear panel open. That is a hazard because some cars can crash into it and it can just swing into something.

Guess JFK took the CNGs and let FR use their buses instead.

Saying this as a serious suggestion: just convert JFK to CNG. The filling station is there and CNG is cheaper than diesel; and in general tends to be cleaner to run. The price of CNG alone makes it a good long-term investment for the MTA.

Saying this as a serious suggestion: just convert JFK to CNG. The filling station is there and CNG is cheaper than diesel; and in general tends to be cleaner to run. The price of CNG alone makes it a good long-term investment for the MTA.

The CNG filling station is within JFK airport, nowhere near the depot

The CNG filling station is within JFK airport, nowhere near the depot

It seems close enough for them to use it anyways.

7 minute run.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Rockaway+Blvd&daddr=Tow+Pound&hl=en&ll=40.65349,-73.79096&spn=0.019633,0.038581&sll=40.646203,-73.798135&sspn=0.001735,0.002411&geocode=FQJvbAIdWUma-w%3BFcA1bAIdoOyZ-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&z=15

Not ideal, sadly. I suggested it because, as I said, they were using CNG buses anyways.

This brings me to a question: with CNG being cheaper and (a tiny bit) cleaner, why haven't all depots undergoing rebuilds (such as FR, prior to Sandy) been equipped to handle CNG filling? I don't want to get into the pro/con argument of NG extraction, but it's going full steam ahead anyways, might as well take advantage of the low prices and slightly better emissions.

It seems close enough for them to use it anyways.

7 minute run.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Rockaway+Blvd&daddr=Tow+Pound&hl=en&ll=40.65349,-73.79096&spn=0.019633,0.038581&sll=40.646203,-73.798135&sspn=0.001735,0.002411&geocode=FQJvbAIdWUma-w%3BFcA1bAIdoOyZ-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&z=15

Not ideal, sadly. I suggested it because, as I said, they were using CNG buses anyways.

This brings me to a question: with CNG being cheaper and (a tiny bit) cleaner, why haven't all depots undergoing rebuilds (such as FR, prior to Sandy) been equipped to handle CNG filling? I don't want to get into the pro/con argument of NG extraction, but it's going full steam ahead anyways, might as well take advantage of the low prices and slightly better emissions.

Like the hybrid buses, CNG buses are more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to build/convert facilities around.

Like the hybrid buses, CNG buses are more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to build/convert facilities around.

What's more expensive to maintain on a CNG bus? The fuel system is supposed to be sealed and gas is supposed to keep spark plugs clean (unless they use a diesel pilot spray, I guess). Otherwise, it's essentially the same Cummins ISL9 but with some modifications, and the same transmission.

What's more expensive to maintain on a CNG bus? The fuel system is supposed to be sealed and gas is supposed to keep spark plugs clean (unless they use a diesel pilot spray, I guess). Otherwise, it's essentially the same Cummins ISL9 but with some modifications, and the same transmission.

It's just the initial cost of buying the bus(es) that is somewhat expensive, however due to the low cost of CNG fuel, the costs will likely be made up in less than five years.

Bus 3504 with an 'identity crisis'. Front sticker is JFK, but the rear sticker is Far Rock. So dunno if they forgot to put up the JFK sticker/fell off, but thought it was kinda odd.

*I know for now FR will be borrowing some buses from JFK now and reverting back to mainly hybrids again.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Everything on a CNG engine has to be made of a higher strength metal due to the extremely high temperature that the combustion stroke and the exhaust creates. Everything in the engine compartment has to either be made of the same higher strength metal or be heat shielded as well. And recently the started using more ventilation on the engine compartment panels. And let's not forget about the cost of those carbon-Kevlar "bulletproof" tanks with all of the associated hardware...

Everything on a CNG engine has to be made of a higher strength metal due to the extremely high temperature that the combustion stroke and the exhaust creates. Everything in the engine compartment has to either be made of the same higher strength metal or be heat shielded as well. And recently the started using more ventilation on the engine compartment panels. And let's not forget about the cost of those carbon-Kevlar "bulletproof" tanks with all of the associated hardware...

Thanks for the explanation. Knew about the tanks, was disappointed that the engine-related modifications increase cost significantly. But is actual maintenance more expensive, too?