Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Proposes Fining Obese Adults and Smokers

Forest Glen

First, who says Governor Brewer is racist? Arizona is a border state - and that border happens to be with Mexico.

Second, this deals with our Medicaid Program - AHCCCS. I have to agree, if a person is a smoker, obese, or has a chronic condition, what's the point of seeing a doctor, not following orders, getting sick again or worse, then having to see another doctor while your state pays for it? C'mon, man, personally, I have nothing against Mexicans and I believe in the American Dream, but do it legally.

Jan Brewer, the same racist b*tch who was a proponent of draconian immigration laws, has proposed regulations that would penalize residents of her state who are overweight or choose to smoke.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arizona-gov-jan-brewer-proposes-medicare-fat-fine/story?id=13274368

It's just like 1984

How is it racist when the Mexico-US border is basically wide open? If there were stricter enforcements there, then there wouldn't be a problem such as racial profiling. Not to mention the drug cartels are running rampant in Mexico. Napolitano is the real b*tch with the x-ray scanners at the airports. Arizona can take her back.

The scanners aren't that bad. I'd love to walk through there and scar the worker for life.

It's those manhandlers that a certain user on this forum loves talking about (and probably submitting to) that make me want to throw Napolitano into one of those scanners and see if she is human... without any protection from the x-ray whatsoever.

It's the point that the government is further invading our privacy. The woman doesn't even want to go thru the same scanners she's making the rest of us go thru. If she had been put up to a vote, she wouldn't even be in that position of power. Napolitano is far worse than Brewer. At least Brewer is trying to protect her state [though I don't agree with this nanny state bs].

AHCCCES, our state Medicaid, is good. It covers Arizonans who qualify under reasonable guidelines. Maybe they can't afford insurance due to earning minimum wage, or a dollar or two over, or maybe they have too many responsibities to handle on ten dollars per hour. We really don't know what kills us, or why some people 'age' more quickly, and we do have a right to become fat, enjoy alcohol, sex, or smokes but what Governor Brewer is thinking here is the people that 'abuse' AHCCCES by not following their doctor's orders.

AHCCCES, our state Medicaid, is good. It covers Arizonans who qualify under reasonable guidelines. Maybe they can't afford insurance due to earning minimum wage, or a dollar or two over, or maybe they have too many responsibities to handle on ten dollars per hour. We really don't know what kills us, or why some people 'age' more quickly, and we do have a right to become fat, enjoy alcohol, sex, or smokes but what Governor Brewer is thinking here is the people that 'abuse' AHCCCES by not following their doctor's orders.

wow. EE Local making his political feelings know for 1st time ever on this boards.:eek:

This is not meant to change the topic but add to EE Local's topic of a 'nanny state' taking over America?

Here this morning NY Daily News(4/4/11)article on how Mayor Bloomberg and the NYC Health Dept. is forcing these 'work rules' for employees. That includes no more eating most fast food, etc.

No fried food: Health Dept. workers cringe at new rules restricting foods, fragrances, decorations

BY Kathleen Lucadamo

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, April 4th 2011

That's the new edict for employees of the same city Health Department that brought you calorie-counting menus and snuffed out smoking on beaches and in parks.

The updated rules - which range from what workers can serve at agency powwows to how loud they can talk in the office - come as the Health Department begins to move into its new Queens digs today.

A set of guidelines for "Life in the Cubicle Village" sent to employees asks them to avoid wearing products with "noticeable odors" or posting "any displays, photos, cartoons, or other personal items that may be offensive."

They also should avoid eavesdropping.

If they can't - "at least resist the urge to add your comments," the cubicle rules recommend.

Employees also got a bright-colored brochure stipulating what can and can't be served at meetings and parties.

Tap water is a menu must when food or drinks are served. Other beverages must be less than 25 calories per 8 ounces.

"Cut muffins and bagels into halves or quarters, or order mini sizes. Offer thinly-sliced, whole-grain bread," the brochure states.

Deep-fried foods are an absolute no-no and "cannot be served."

For celebrations, cake and air-popped popcorn - "popped at the party and served in brown paper lunch bags" - are allowed.

But when a "celebration cake" is served, cookies can't be offered.

"These standards are mandatory for meetings and events sponsored by the Health Department," the brochure states.

Health honchos say they are just practicing what they preach.

"The Health Department is leading by example by updating its guidelines for food and beverages served at agency meetings and events," spokeswoman Erin Brady said.

Still, one Health Department worker said she was surprised by the brochure's nitpicking detail.

"This seems like micromanaging," she said.

The cubicle village tips are good - but unnecessary - advice, she said. "As somebody who does not have sensitivity to perfumes or scents or smells of people's foods, I thought it was kind of ridiculous, though I'm sure the people who do have those kinds of problems are grateful."

The gerbil-loving food choices are in step with Health Commissioner Thomas Farley's push to reduce New Yorkers salt, sugar and alcohol consumption.

The Daily News reported in December that he put the kibosh on booze at the agency's holiday bash and called for a menu that included "healthy options."

The agency's nearly 3,000 employees begin a massive move today from their age-old lower Manhattan headquarters to new office space built by Tishman Speyer in Long Island City, Queens.

The move is expected to be complete by May."

The scanners aren't that bad. I'd love to walk through there and scar the worker for life.

It's those manhandlers that a certain user on this forum loves talking about (and probably submitting to) that make me want to throw Napolitano into one of those scanners and see if she is human... without any protection from the x-ray whatsoever.

LOL. I'm ok with both methods at the airport. Just keep it professional, let me grab my shiz and move on. The guy that patted me down in Shannon Ireland was cruising for a nose break. >_<

Jan Brewer, the same racist b*tch who was a proponent of draconian immigration laws, has proposed regulations that would penalize residents of her state who are overweight or choose to smoke.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arizona-gov-jan-brewer-proposes-medicare-fat-fine/story?id=13274368

It's just like 1984

People are ridiculous.

Like others have said, Arizona especially is a magnet for illegal immigration, drug and human trafficking so all she was doing was trying to protect the state and its people, who have been crying out for action since the federal government has FAILED miserably to protect the border states and all states in general.

All we have to do is look at the big hole Downtown as a reminder. I applaud Gov. Brewer for her tough stance on illegal immigration and I also applaud this too.

Smoking and obesity is costing this country millions and it is the taxpayers who are being drained financially. If those people don't care about their health then that's fine, but let them destroy their health at their own expense and not mine. :mad: :tup:

This is not a good idea: increase taxes on the demographic that is more obese, rather than singling out the obese people themselves.

The immigration law was a good idea, but way too vague.

Yeah, but increasing taxes on them does single them out and it may discourage others from following their footsteps because most people don't like to more for things in general. This solves two problems: It makes the obese folks pay for increase in taxes that they're causing and it discourages others from becoming obese.

They shouldn't be fined, but they should pay more for healthcare.

For the same f***ing reason I have gotten ripped off on car insurance despite being a good driver for much of the last 7 years (18-25 age bracket).

Do the math...smokers and fat people are high risk healthcare adults. They use more. Just like statistically 18-25 year olds get into the most accidents. Time to get rid of the double standard there.

Obesity is not a disease. I am sick of listening to this pathetic "self help" sh*t. The rest of the world doesn't seem to have such a problem with it. If some loser can't turn off the Oprah, put down the Haagen Dazs, get up and go for a jog, or at least take a walk, it's not the Haagen Dazs's fault, and it's not Oprah's fault (even though that show sucks), it's the fat person's own fault for not getting off the couch and doing something.

I'm tired of "widening the standards" and making excuses for people being overweight while the entire country becomes progressively more and more fat, and the sun belt has to proverbially let out a few notches. Big boy / big girl time. No excuses, lose the weight. If you're fat, it's because you choose to be that way. So either deal with it and pay more as a health risk, or lose the weight.

Fines? No. Increased healthcare premiums? You bet your plus size ass I'm in favor of that.

For the same f***ing reason I have gotten ripped off on car insurance despite being a good driver for much of the last 7 years (18-25 age bracket).

Do the math...smokers and fat people are high risk healthcare adults. They use more. Just like statistically 18-25 year olds get into the most accidents. Time to get rid of the double standard there.

Obesity is not a disease. I am sick of listening to this pathetic "self help" sh*t. The rest of the world doesn't seem to have such a problem with it. If some loser can't turn off the Oprah, put down the Haagen Dazs, get up and go for a jog, or at least take a walk, it's not the Haagen Dazs's fault, and it's not Oprah's fault (even though that show sucks), it's the fat person's own fault for not getting off the couch and doing something.

I'm tired of "widening the standards" and making excuses for people being overweight while the entire country becomes progressively more and more fat, and the sun belt has to proverbially let out a few notches. Big boy / big girl time. No excuses, lose the weight. If you're fat, it's because you choose to be that way. So either deal with it and pay more as a health risk, or lose the weight.

Fines? No. Increased healthcare premiums? You bet your plus size ass I'm in favor of that.

Why would these people have healthcare anyway when they clearly don't care about their health to begin with??? It would be interesting to see how many smokers and obese folks actually have healthcare and those and how much they are costing those who aren't fat and don't smoke in terms of higher premiums, etc.... :eek:

The voice of reason has spoken :tup:

Totally agreed. Taxes won't really be that effective compared to a steeper insurance will.

Archived