More expensive than milk! $4-plus gallons of gas straining New Yorkers' budgets

Shortline Bus

More expensive than milk! $4-plus gallons of gas straining New Yorkers' budgets

BY Edgar Sandoval, Jennifer H. Cunningham and Helen Kennedy

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, April 18th 2011

The rising cost of a gallon of gas topped $4 statewide on Sunday, making gasoline pricier than milk and forcing New Yorkers to start changing their routines.

"I used to drive everywhere - now just on the weekends and special occasions, " said Roger Levoille, 41, who used to drive his kids to school in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

"I can spend $80 easily on gas a week. That's a lot of money I don't have," he said. "Now I pay one of those minibuses to take my children to school - just $8 a week. I don't want to even touch my car these days."

New York became the sixth state to average $4 a gallon, joining Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii and Illinois, according to AAA.

The national average, which has been rising sharply for a month, now stands at $3.83 a gallon. The average price in the city was $4.08, according to GasBuddy.com, with a top of $4.66 at the Mobil station on 10th Ave. in the Meatpacking District.

Milk cost $3.64 per gallon in city supermarkets when the state last did a survey in December.

At the Mobil station on W. 30th St. in Manhattan, Kevin Williams of Brooklyn cringed next to his 2005 Mercedes-Benz as he watched the pump tick past $80.

"I like my car, but I'm thinking it's not worth it. I'm going to sell it," said Williams, 30. "I either have a car or I go out. You can't do both."

Alberto Ramirez, 18, a St. John's University freshman from Queens, put a scant few gallons of $4.29-a-gallon gas into his Honda Accord, which was on empty.

He said he got "just enough to get home" and thought he'd have to start taking the train.

Greyhound driver Keith Spriggs of Baltimore spent $499.73 to fill his bus.

"I got two cars at home, and I went out and bought a moped," he said, adding that $10 worth of gas lasts him several days now.

Several motorists in Manhattan said they travel to New Jersey, Brooklyn or Queens to get better deals.

And elsewhere, others are just doing without."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/18/2011-04-18_they_just_keep_pouring_it_on_4plus_gallons_of_gas_straining_new_yorkers_budgets.html

Guest lance25

You better get used to these high gas prices as analysts are not only saying they'll be here for some time, but they're also predicting at least $5.00/gallon by Memorial Day.

I pass by 3 gas stations on the way to work on the bus and the prices went from $3.95-$4.05. I have a car and it freaks me out to see prices like this. I'll be getting my gas in Jersey from now on. Even though it's not but so much lower, cheap is cheap and I'm going were the lower prices for gas is.

This is just the beginning. We will see $7 per gallon and more because pretty soon the U.S. Dollar will no longer be the Global reserve currency. Which means you wont be able to use U.S. Dollars to buy commodities like oil.

Right now you can ONLY by oil in U.S. Dollars. Thats means everyone else must convert their money to U.S. Dollars to buy it. Once this changes the price of oil / gas will skyrocket for us.

This video explains what happens when oil skyrockets beyond our consumer prices. I suggest that you guys watch it. Even if you don't believe oil is running out at least you can see what happens if oil prices reaches an all time high. Also although the refineries haven't been hit by terrorists the Arab region has been hit by revolutions, and chaos, and this is already preventing oil from being shipped to us. We are starting to see what is being explained in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbWGoPEN9l8

I dont drive to work any more. I hop on a bus thats deadheading to the garage. This is the world we live in and all the crying needs to stop those days of cheap gas is long gone and is never coming back. I would never sell my car lol i love my car its my 1st car. I know one thing I dont plan on getting another car now, my Lincoln LS is here to stay but I will drive less although my gf drives it to and from work but her ass it keeps it full. I ride njt for free so its to my advantage.

I dont drive to work any more. I hop on a bus thats deadheading to the garage. This is the world we live in and all the crying needs to stop those days of cheap gas is long gone and is never coming back. I would never sell my car lol i love my car its my 1st car. I know one thing I dont plan on getting another car now, my Lincoln LS is here to stay but I will drive less although my gf drives it to and from work but her ass it keeps it full. I ride njt for free so its to my advantage.

You drive A Lincoln LS? V8 or V6? That is going to be my next car, I think 2006 is the last year they made it.. I like Fords/Lincolns .. Its a hot body style too.

You drive A Lincoln LS? V8 or V6? That is going to be my next car, I think 2006 is the last year they made it.. I like Fords/Lincolns .. Its a hot body style too.

V8. Yup 2006 was the last year they made it. I bought that car with mcds money too! I love its body also its what got me on to it. Im a big Lincoln person. I really wish they continued it. IIRC the MKZ was a replacement for it tho I could be wrong. The 1st time I seen it I knew it was the car I wanted.

Its articles like these that make me glad I plan on spending my adult life on mass transit.

Fortunately, my family doesn't use the car we have that often. Just for trips to and from work, and for local trips (such as to the supermarket)

Looks like I'll be trying to use my Student MetroCard even more.

Its articles like these that make me glad I plan on spending my adult life on mass transit.

Fortunately, my family doesn't use the car we have that often. Just for trips to and from work, and for local trips (such as to the supermarket)

Looks like I'll be trying to use my Student MetroCard even more.

Checkmate even if you and others don't drive the high gas prices affects everyone in America and beyond pays the price. Assuming you eat, for instance the price of milk and eggs is going up as well just to name a few.

Even the private bus lines for instance Coach USA NJ lines reguarly raises prices when these spikes occur.

I love cars myself but the days buying minivans/SUV's (which I never liked personally but that another matter)are over unless you have deep pockets.

That video I posted does explain why food prices would be going up. Well if you didn't watch here is the brief explanation. You see food, and beverage prices are tied to rising oil prices due to the fact that you need oil to either produce (manufacture), or deliver the food, and beverages the prices for everyday goods all skyrocket. Oh yeah, and if you are thinking about driving your car to work don't, because it would just be so expensive. Also people do have houses, and structures that are heated by oil so they can't heat their homes. People would literally die, or fight for oil. This is one of the reasons why Staten Island should be linked to the rest of NYC either by the subway or light rail due to the fact that people might not be driving forever.

As I explained it's going to be hell for Staten Island. With almost no mass transit they would have no way to get off the island.

they have the SIRT, the Ferry, and various local bus routes that lead to that ferry, theres two local routes that go to brooklyn and one or two express routes that lead to manhattan

On a serious matter returning to topic. These high gas prices could bring us back to the deep recession we just getting off.

And with the summer holiday season coming up $5 a gallon gas prices could cancel many vaction plans. Thus many beach/camping locations laying off many people and leading to bad news especially for Barack Obama's re-election plans.

they have the SIRT, the Ferry, and various local bus routes that lead to that ferry, theres two local routes that go to brooklyn and one or two express routes that lead to manhattan

One or two express buses??? Boy, some folks really don't know much about Staten Island. :eek:

Guest lance25
These high gas prices could bring us back to the deep recession we just getting off.

You're probably right, seeing as high gas prices affect the price of everything, from necessary expenditures to our splurges. If we're spending more for the things we need, we won't waste money on frivolous items, especially when other bills keep going up as well.

You're probably right, seeing as high gas prices affect the price of everything, from necessary expenditures to our splurges. If we're spending more for the things we need, we won't waste money on frivolous items, especially when other bills keep going up as well.

Speaking of bills. My electric bill just went up $20 because of the brutal winter we had in NY and northeast. More colder nites=more usage=higher bills.

High gas prices was also a huge role in why the late 1970's also had a terrible recession. Could history be repeating itself?:eek:

High gas prices? Pfft... its high as it is like back in 2008, but the reason why it went so high is different. Though I could believe that we'd be seeing $5/gallon in the next few weeks (maybe a few days in SF... I've heard its at $4.90/gallon!...and then some. I may be exaggerating a bit...I'll check it out this friday when my dad and I will pick up my mom from the airport.)

Archived