Albany is off it's rocker on new fare discount ideas.

Kamen Rider

But should the coverage frequency be half-hourly, or should those routes get hourly service? An odd headway like 45 minutes would work well, but that's not clock face, and for an infrequent route in a non-rural area to work, it must be clock-face.

Same for Nassau. It's designed for the automobile, but we have to have transit service. Buses going MIA are common, as there are only 2 service trucks (1 off peak) who have to deal with a constant stream of problems, and when the bus goes back to the shop there is none to cover the route. I remember hearing several weeks ago of an N62 broken down in S Freeport that had to wait hours for a truck because both were being used on the other (north) side of the county. Luckily that's a low ridership route.

If you're going to decrease service on local lines to every 45 minutes to an hour you're just going to kill off the service. Waiting that long is okay for an express bus, but for local bus service, it is not acceptable, especially seeing how unreliable local bus service can be in general.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but you know what I'm referring to. I've had fellow express bus riders that were either short on the MetroCard or whatever and I've dipped my Unlimited later on for them once the 18 minutes went by. That's completely different from what I'm referring to. I'm referring to those who blatantly farebeat and walk on the bus with absolutely no intention of paying.

That was the flip side I was referring to. There is only so much a B/O can't do. I know I wouldn't be risking my life for $2.25. It's a no win situation.

Every bus driver in NYC gives out free rides. I once counted 37 people shorting the MTA in a 8 hour shift on my bus alone(B52). So Albany ,the MTA is giving there fair share of free rides out.

Reason why it happens cause the MTA lets it happen

Reason why it happens cause the MTA lets it happen

There's really no way to enforce it other than refuse to move the vehicle until the perp decides to get off, but even that's asking for trouble as bus operators aren't really equipped to defend themselves... Like Edwin Thomas... I'm sure you all remember that incident

There's really no way to enforce it other than refuse to move the vehicle until the perp decides to get off, but even that's asking for trouble as bus operators aren't really equipped to defend themselves... Like Edwin Thomas... I'm sure you all remember that incident

Yes you can enforce it by either having fare enforcement / bylaw officers / police offices enforcing it. It would be a good cash grab for the MTA to make money.

They could just put (MTA) cops or whatever on random lines that have farebeating problems and that right there would deter folks from being so bold. If people think that there's a risk of them getting caught, fewer of them will do it.

I don't know where you're getting this wide street notion from because the sidewalks are narrow and so are many of the streets including the main ones like Forest Avenue. Only parts of Forest Avenue are wide, but for most part it is narrow considering that it a major avenue. Staten Island was not made to handle the amount of cars that is has now, plain and simple. If anything there are calls for widening streets and building new bridges with bus lanes or light rails, so clearly the politicians understand that the boroughs' needs are changing. You keep saying that it is car centric and it is because it has no choice but to be because the transportation sucks here in terms of reliability. Most of the headways are tolerable, but with a bus going MIA it makes it worse.

To be honest, I don't recall buses going MIA in Brooklyn the way they do here on Staten Island, frequent service or not. I mentioned in an earlier post that from my understanding, B/Os generally don't like working on Staten Island because they complain that it is not easily accessible, which could explain why so many buses go MIA here. Of course buses go MIA in other boroughs but the problem seems more persistent here.

1) The sidewalks are narrow, which discourages pedestrian use.

2) I was referring more to parts of the Mid-Island and South Shore. Look at Richmond Avenue near the SI Mall, with 5 lanes in each direction. (since we were mainly talking about the South Shore) That was clearly designed for cars.

And I highly doubt that, if every route suddenly get 100% reliability, you'd see a huge shift in people from cars to transit. The layout of Staten Island was not intended for heavy use of transit. Maybe if we see gas at $10 per gallon, that will change (and you'll probably see Staten Island be redeveloped to become more pedestrian-friendly), but for now, you're not going to see significant numbers of people riding buses on the South Shore, regardless of what you do.

1) The sidewalks are narrow, which discourages pedestrian use.

2) I was referring more to parts of the Mid-Island and South Shore. Look at Richmond Avenue near the SI Mall, with 5 lanes in each direction. (since we were mainly talking about the South Shore) That was clearly designed for cars.

And I highly doubt that, if every route suddenly get 100% reliability, you'd see a huge shift in people from cars to transit. The layout of Staten Island was not intended for heavy use of transit. Maybe if we see gas at $10 per gallon, that will change (and you'll probably see Staten Island be redeveloped to become more pedestrian-friendly), but for now, you're not going to see significant numbers of people riding buses on the South Shore, regardless of what you do.

Staten Island wasn't built for the amount of traffic in general, but it bus or car and Richmond Avenue is one of the few exceptions that can handle a good amount of traffic. The infrastructure dates back to when the population on Staten Island was far smaller than it is today and had far FEWER cars as well, so then it wasn't a problem for the borough to be car centric. Most of the streets in general are narrow, even the major avenues. Forest Ave becomes wider in certain areas, but it too is generally narrow. Hylan Blvd isn't bad, but the problem in general is that there are too many narrow streets that meander into dead ends and the major roadways have to pick up all of the slack, so either way something has to give. You can't have all of these cars as we do now on Staten Island.

Staten Island wasn't built for the amount of traffic in general, but it bus or car and Richmond Avenue is one of the few exceptions that can handle a good amount of traffic. The infrastructure dates back to when the population on Staten Island was far smaller than it is today and had far FEWER cars as well, so then it wasn't a problem for the borough to be car centric. Most of the streets in general are narrow, even the major avenues. Forest Ave becomes wider in certain areas, but it too is generally narrow. Hylan Blvd isn't bad, but the problem in general is that there are too many narrow streets that meander into dead ends and the major roadways have to pick up all of the slack, so either way something has to give. You can't have all of these cars as we do now on Staten Island.

Hopefully, when gas prices go up, people on Staten Island will realize that the mass transit is available, and they'll use it more often, which should give the MTA an incentive to provide more service.

I think it's starting already: I took the S92 coming home from St. George, and I don't think it was ever that crowded (there was still room, but it was close to being at capacity)

Can I ask something? how did we get on Staten Island again?

Typical railfan discussion. The same topics keep coming up and beaten like a dead horse.

First the "M/V" combo.

Then the shuttle through Central Park.

Then the Sea Beach Express.

Then the Culver Express.

Then the el to the airports

Now the random threads that end up on Staten Island.

Noticing a pattern here?

Typical railfan discussion. The same topics keep coming up and beaten like a dead horse.

First the "M/V" combo.

Then the shuttle through Central Park.

Then the Sea Beach Express.

Then the Culver Express.

Then the el to the airports

Now the random threads that end up on Staten Island.

Noticing a pattern here?

Don't forget the replace x fleet with y cars from some route m.

(N)/(W)

Some aspect of the subway that was torn down.

Light rail. Does not and will never work in NYC.

Because of the LIRR and all the business with LIB?

And somehow people hate LIB, but enjoy foaming over the NGs here. It never ends.

I dunno. Just saying. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me. I mean it's all transit and it is important as far as I'm concerned and educational in many cases.

There are lots of interesting things to talk about in transit in terms of what is actually going on in the world today as opposed to the brain farts of a bunch of keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than sit around and draw fantasy maps on MSpaint and type up imaginary service descriptions with one hand on the keyboard.

There are lots of interesting things to talk about in transit in terms of what is actually going on in the world today as opposed to the brain farts of a bunch of keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than sit around and draw fantasy maps on MSpaint and type up imaginary service descriptions with one hand on the keyboard.

We need these types of folks around. Yeah, maybe they're nerds or whatever, but they can be molded to use those skills and become very productive in the future. Our population is becoming dumber, not smarter, so we need all of the nerds we can get!! :eek:

knowlege is great, but they also need social skills. Being smart is useless if you can't share it without the other person wanting to punch you in the face for being annoying.

They need to think in the relm of the real world. They simply say to themselves "What can I put here?" Their ideas tend to look like plates of spagetti instead of maps

Those of us with heads on out shoulders say "what can we do that's practicle, cost effective, useable, realistic and can be done in a timely manner".

Yeah, and that's why I said if those skills could be molded they could be great.

you don't think we haven't tried that? i've been on boards now for 6 1/2 years snd i don't see the problem going away. They need to want these skills, or else it's a waste of time.

These people continue to do the same thing they did when they first started posting here.

To Via Garibaldi, people have to WANT to improve themselves or else they won't go anywhere.

Besides, it's obvious to me that many of the people commenting on these "proposed (by users) service changes" lack even a basic knowledge of NYC subway operations and only the ability to google out of date ridership figures or base their judgments on fallacious "personal experience"

Add a lack of social skills and you have a lose-lose. Everyone's got to start somewhere, I get that, but a lot of people start at the bottom, think they're on top, never learn or improve, and stay at the bottom forever.

Archived