Albany is off it's rocker on new fare discount ideas.

Kamen Rider

I could Care less what happens, I rather Buy A monthy Unlimted Metrocard then to have a half fare, And for the ones talking shit, STFU because you don't know how it feels when you can't afford certain things,Alot of people are going through this shit, Not everyone has alot, Yeah People have too many damn kids but oh well, and for the ones kissing the (MTA)'s ass is a F*(king Moron because they are also taking money that we pay to ride their system since 1968 so The MTA isn't the good guy ether, And Jobs are not as easy Minimum wage can't Pay Rent, Half of these college students live in shelters or on the streets and they try hard to get a education, Most of them have roommates, Not everyone is spoiled, See How it feels when Your ass is going though what these people are going though, and Im speaking for the good people, not the bad.

give me a break. people can bitch all they want. i've worked since i was 17 years old to pay my own way because i wanted to depend on no one but my self. i never asked for... nor was even offered handouts, for that matter. I WORKED and paid for the services that i needed. i lived with roommates up until 4 years ago and i still saw a chunk of my paycheck disappear in terms of rent & necessary bills. spoiled, my ass. if you want to use the MTA's services, PAY YOUR FARE. if not, take a taxi and pay 10x more instead.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wait a minute.... why do college students need to get discounts all of a sudden? when i was going to college, i didn't get one. why can't college students find a job working part time somewhere to fund their own monthly unlimited card? i hear mcdonald's is hiring. boy... have times changed. everyone feels like they are entitled to everything without having to lift a finger.

Firstly, not everyone can just up and get hired, secondly there's this thing called needing time to do homework & classes. Good luck doing well in any class when having to worry about working at some obesity factory.

The problem with students having jobs to support travel to & from school, is takes time away from school stuff, plus you then also need money from your paycheck for getting to & from work.

I think there should be a specified day once a year where there are free fares on the subway, but eliminating fares for tons of people is an idea that will only cause problems. half fare for seniors, who live often on a fixed income, seems fine, but college students should get maybe 15% off vs 50 or free. Grade school kids should pay 10 dollars a year for their cards, with a flexible payment schedule & grace period.

- A

Firstly, not everyone can just up and get hired, secondly there's this thing called needing time to do homework & classes. Good luck doing well in any class when having to worry about working at some obesity factory.

The problem with students having jobs to support travel to & from school, is takes time away from school stuff, plus you then also need money from your paycheck for getting to & from work.

I think there should be a specified day once a year where there are free fares on the subway, but eliminating fares for tons of people is an idea that will only cause problems. half fare for seniors, who live often on a fixed income, seems fine, but college students should get maybe 15% off vs 50 or free. Grade school kids should pay 10 dollars a year for their cards, with a flexible payment schedule & grace period.

- A

Plenty of us worked during college and we turned out just fine. It's called multi-tasking and in the real world we all do that. I can't tell my boss, "Oh sorry, I can't do several things at once". She'd look at me like I was a moron.

give me a break. people can bitch all they want. i've worked since i was 17 years old to pay my own way because i wanted to depend on no one but my self. i never asked for... nor was even offered handouts, for that matter. I WORKED and paid for the services that i needed. i lived with roommates up until 4 years ago and i still saw a chunk of my paycheck disappear in terms of rent & necessary bills. spoiled, my ass. if you want to use the MTA's services, PAY YOUR FARE. if not, take a taxi and pay 10x more instead.

I spend my money on Monthly Metrocards all the time and Yes I pay Rent every month, and for the morons that bashed me and say I don't know Nothing about life Screw you, Because Like I said Before You Have people that do what they gotta do and they got it way F&(king harder than us, But I do Agree with PopsicleXgirl, Not alot of people want to work and do anything in life, Im going to try to start college by the summertime, and I will do the same as now, Buy a monthly Metrocard and do what I do, Only If you felt what other people that got it hard and are looking for work you wouldn't be talking shit (im talking about the the idiot that think I know nothing about life) Atleast I know how to survive if I was in a Very Bad situation.

Plenty of us worked during college and we turned out just fine. It's called multi-tasking and in the real world we all do that. I can't tell my boss, "Oh sorry, I can't do several things at once". She'd look at me like I was a moron.

Because we all know that money is important and education isn't, right?

- A

- A

what an excuse to be lazy. i worked part time during the week and a 12 hour shift every saturday while i was in college and i still had more than enough time for homework and classes. neither responsibility was neglected and i have my BA and 3.7 GPA to show for it. so give me a break with that excuse. most college students don't even go to college 5 days a week, they go 4. and that's what? a whole 4 hours a day, 16 hours a week? you got PLENTY of time to be productive and build some work experience for your resume instead of relying on mommy and daddy or whining for handouts... then whine some more that no one wants to hire you after you graduate because you have absolutely no work experience.

Every bus driver in NYC gives out free rides. I once counted 37 people shorting the MTA in a 8 hour shift on my bus alone(B52). So Albany ,the MTA is giving there fair share of free rides out.

I did that in one stop, at night on the Bx6 at Hunts Point. 35 times I pressed that button, and when I went to the depot, I wrote how the workers at that one stop back there, all come and get on the back of the bus. They work, but still act like a bunch of thugs released from prison..............

I did that in one stop, at night on the Bx6 at Hunts Point. 35 times I pressed that button, and when I went to the depot, I wrote how the workers at that one stop back there, all come and get on the back of the bus. They work, but still act like a bunch of thugs released from prison..............

And certain people (ahemm checkmate) thinks that it isn't a big deal... :P They're not losing that much money, just millions...

And I'm the same person who thinks the fare should be free (or have a very cheap fare) for the local buses and subways, and funded entirely through taxes (and some type of toll on cars).

Even with all of the farebeating, apparently it hasn't hit the MTA too hard because there is still excess service that they haven't gotten rid of.

And I'm the same person who thinks the fare should be free (or have a very cheap fare) for the local buses and subways, and funded entirely through taxes (and some type of toll on cars).

Even with all of the farebeating, apparently it hasn't hit the MTA too hard because there is still excess service that they haven't gotten rid of.

Just imagine if you were the head of the (MTA)... The majority of Staten Islanders would hate you because we'd have very little local bus service since we're in the suburbs. The express bus would be double the price and working professionals like myself would be paying through the nose to support mass transit for the poor. Hell Staten Islanders already feel that the (MTA) has disdain for them because they scorn the white middle class working folks in general. At least that's the indirect message felt in these parts of NYC in general. We're the only borough with a white majority and areas like Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Gerritsen Beach, etc. in Brooklyn are in the same boat. That's why we'll keep fighting to hold on to our service.

Just imagine if you were the head of the (MTA)... The majority of Staten Islanders would hate you because we'd have very little local bus service since we're in the suburbs. The express bus would be double the price and working professionals like myself would be paying through the nose to support mass transit for the poor. Hell Staten Islanders already feel that the (MTA) has disdain for them because they scorn the white middle class working folks in general. At least that's the indirect message felt in these parts of NYC in general. We're the only borough with a white majority and areas like Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Gerritsen Beach, etc. in Brooklyn are in the same boat. That's why we'll keep fighting to hold on to our service.

And you know what I'd say? If you want to keep your service (or keep it running at the current frequency) USE IT! I wouldn't cut anything that is well-used. You said yourself that the S54, which travels through "middle-class areas" is like a free taxi ride, since nobody rides it.

And no: If I had any control over funding, I'd have congestion pricing implemented, so car drivers would be paying, and express bus riders would actually have a lower fare.

And actually, Manhattan also has a slight white majority, not that it is relevant to transit funding.

And if services were distributed based on income, rather than based on need, what would be the point in that? You'd have empty buses running in wealthy neighborhoods and packed buses in poor neighborhoods, which would defeat the point of public transportation, which is to move as many people as possible.

That means the working class, supports those without a job to ride for free. You did say through taxes, right? If you don't work, and I do, but the fare is free, I pay for your ride, and mine, but you don't pay for mine, or yours. I don't think that is fair.........

Now those without a job looking for work, do get help from social services to use the metrocard given to them, to go take transit, to go look for work. I don't want some person using welfare as their job, getting free rides to go to non important places, while milking welfare.........

And you know what I'd say? If you want to keep your service (or keep it running at the current frequency) USE IT! You said yourself that the S54, which travels through "middle-class areas" is like a free taxi ride, since nobody rides it.

And no: If I had any control over funding, I'd have congestion pricing implemented, so car drivers would be paying, and express bus riders would actually have a lower fare.

And actually, Manhattan also has a slight white majority, not that it is relevant to transit funding.

Even if they do still have a slight white majority (which I thought they had lost in Manhattan), the (MTA) doesn't view them in the same light as they do suburban whites in Staten Island, believe me. Aside from that, you can't blame people for not using a service that supposedly runs every 30 minutes and buses go MIA meaning you could wait for an hour and a half for a bus. No one would wait that long, including you.

That means the working class, supports those without a job to ride for free. You did say through taxes, right? If you don't work, and I do, but the fare is free, I pay for your ride, and mine, but you don't pay for mine, or yours. I don't think that is fair.........

Now those without a job looking for work, do get help from social services to use the metrocard given to them, to go take transit, to go look for work. I don't want some person using welfare as their job, getting free rides to go to non important places, while milking welfare.........

That's my beef w/checkmate... His proposals would do nothing but overtax the already overtaxed working class to support the poor. We already give enough of our taxes for social programs as it is and you can't overtax one group of people because another group is less fortunate, otherwise everyone will be poor.

Even if they do still have a slight white majority (which I thought they had lost in Manhattan), the (MTA) doesn't view them in the same light as they do suburban whites in Staten Island, believe me. Aside from that, you can't blame people for not using a service that supposedly runs every 30 minutes and buses go MIA meaning you could wait for an hour and a half for a bus. No one would wait that long, including you.

That's my beef w/checkmate... His proposals would do nothing but overtax the already overtaxed working class to support the poor. We already give enough of our taxes for social programs as it is and you can't overtax one group of people because another group is less fortunate, otherwise everyone will be poor.

Because they use the bus and subway services that are provided to them! Staten Island was designed to be car-centric, and the thing that you don't seem to understand is that car-centric places have lower transit ridership than transit/walking-centric places. That's why my apartment in Brighton Beach was a 5 minute walk from 3 bus routes and a subway station, while my current home is nowhere near a subway line, and the bus service that is near me is less frequent than in Brighton Beach.

And Mr. Overtaxed, let me ask you a question: Would you consider yourself poor, because, as you very well know, our income tax system is currently based on graduated tax brackets.

That is why I said and some type of toll on cars. The system is partially funded through taxes, and the toll on cars would take the place of the fares paid.

Because they use the bus and subway services that are provided to them!

Right! According to the MTA, the loading guideline on the S57 is never more than 29% on the weekend. Evening Saturday is 8%. Should it continue to exist then?

There is a difference between providing transit for "network coverage" and providing transit because the demand exists.

Because they use the bus and subway services that are provided to them! Staten Island was designed to be car-centric, and the thing that you don't seem to understand is that car-centric places have lower transit ridership than transit/walking-centric places. That's why my apartment in Brighton Beach was a 5 minute walk from 3 bus routes and a subway station, while my current home is nowhere near a subway line, and the bus service that is near me is less frequent than in Brighton Beach.

That is why I said and some type of toll on cars. The system is partially funded through taxes, and the toll on cars would take the place of the fares paid.

That's all fine and well, but just because a place is designed one way doesn't mean that folks don't need service. Staten Island wasn't designed to handle as many cars as it does now, so the only way to solve that issue is to improve the infrastructure and improve transportation.

Right! According to the MTA, the loading guideline on the S57 is never more than 29% on the weekend. Evening Saturday is 8%. Should it continue to exist then?

There is a difference between providing transit for "network coverage" and providing transit because the demand exists.

And what the (MTA) fails to point out is how unreliable the service that they provide is. The point to low ridership, BUT they never point out how many buses are MIA that are scheduled. These sorts of things add to the general feeling that folks have no choice BUT to drive because transportation is simply not reliable on Staten Island.

I know, but it should remain running at the current "coverage level" frequencies, rather than running at a higher frequency.

That's all fine and well, but just because a place is designed one way doesn't mean that folks don't need service. Staten Island wasn't designed to handle as many cars as it does now, so the only way to solve that issue is to improve the infrastructure and improve transportation.

And what the (MTA) fails to point out is how unreliable the service that they provide is. The point to low ridership, BUT they never point out how many buses are MIA that are scheduled. These sorts of things add to the general feeling that folks have no choice BUT to drive because transportation is simply not reliable on Staten Island.

But it is still car-centric. Look at the sidewalk-less roads and wide streets that we have: Staten Island was not intended to have a large transit-using population, and as a result, ridership is low and service levels are low.

And you're telling me that buses don't go MIA in the other boroughs? Because they do: It is just that the service is more frequent (because of the higher demand), so the impact isn't felt much.

If 10% of all service is MIA (I'm just making that up), the route that has 30 minute headways is going to feel it more (as far as waiting times go) than the route with 10 minute headways, but the route with 10 minute headways has a higher risk of being overcrowded if they don't do anything.

I know, but it should remain running at the current "coverage level" frequencies, rather than running at a higher frequency.

But it is still car-centric. Look at the sidewalk-less roads and wide streets that we have: Staten Island was not intended to have a large transit-using population, and as a result, ridership is low and service levels are low.

And you're telling me that buses don't go MIA in the other boroughs? Because they do: It is just that the service is more frequent (because of the higher demand), so the impact isn't felt much.

If 10% of all service is MIA (I'm just making that up), the route that has 30 minute headways is going to feel it more (as far as waiting times go) than the route with 10 minute headways, but the route with 10 minute headways has a higher risk of being overcrowded if they don't do anything.

I don't know where you're getting this wide street notion from because the sidewalks are narrow and so are many of the streets including the main ones like Forest Avenue. Only parts of Forest Avenue are wide, but for most part it is narrow considering that it a major avenue. Staten Island was not made to handle the amount of cars that is has now, plain and simple. If anything there are calls for widening streets and building new bridges with bus lanes or light rails, so clearly the politicians understand that the boroughs' needs are changing. You keep saying that it is car centric and it is because it has no choice but to be because the transportation sucks here in terms of reliability. Most of the headways are tolerable, but with a bus going MIA it makes it worse.

To be honest, I don't recall buses going MIA in Brooklyn the way they do here on Staten Island, frequent service or not. I mentioned in an earlier post that from my understanding, B/Os generally don't like working on Staten Island because they complain that it is not easily accessible, which could explain why so many buses go MIA here. Of course buses go MIA in other boroughs but the problem seems more persistent here.

Giving college students discounted metrocards is the least the state can do for raising tuition, cutting financial aid and throwing us into an economy with no sustainable career opportunities.

:tup:

College students should not get half fares just because they are in school. There is no money to pay for this and it doesn't stimulate the economy. It's just another entitlement in a state and city and country filled with too many to begin with.

End millionaire tax breaks, send that money to transit, plug the operating budget deficit with that money, then see if there's any money left. But don't consider this insanity. F***ing gubbermint just can't stop spending, even if it's forcing a public authority to spend, and even after cutting spending.

The they phrase is END the REPUBLICAN TAX BREAKS! Then we have billions of dollars to further stimulate the country. Then we have money for education, science, transit, FDNY, NYPD, etc....:mad:

Cool...I'll only have to pay $1.70...guess staying in college pays off :P

On a serious note we can all blame Albany for the MTA's downfall in the next round of service cuts and farehikes.

Definitely! And our US Government as well for allowing tax breaks. The only bad part about all that is the fact that it's a double edged sword. The Republicans threatened to shut down the Gov if they didn't get their precious tax breaks at least one more time! Everyone said Obama should not have done it. I agree in a way, but if the Gov shuts down, our Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force personnel don't get payed! My best friend's wife is an Army Sgt., who is an Irag vet. If the Gov. shuts down, their bills don't get payed.

End tax breaks. Everyone who is rich can afford it. They have already said it themselves.

Every bus driver in NYC gives out free rides. I once counted 37 people shorting the MTA in a 8 hour shift on my bus alone(B52). So Albany ,the MTA is giving there fair share of free rides out.

And certain people (ahemm checkmate) thinks that it isn't a big deal... :) They're not losing that much money, just millions...

There is like 5 sides to a story like this though. Lol!

You are always going to have free rides given out. There are many different reasons as to why it occurs as well. Some good, some not so, but it's always going to be the case. Any bus operator with half a heart will give free rides here and there. Sometimes it could mean the difference between someone loosing a job, and not being able to get an unlimited card on pay day. I know that from experience!

I ran out the door late once, and left my card on my dresser. If the B/O had not let me ride, I would have gotten fired! Then there goes the money I pay to the MTA every 30 days goes bye bye.

You are always going to have free rides given out. There are many different reasons as to why it occurs as well. Some good, some not so, but it's always going to be the case. Any bus operator with half a heart will give free rides here and there. Sometimes it could mean the difference between someone loosing a job, and not being able to get an unlimited card on pay day. I know that from experience!

I ran out the door late once, and left my card on my dresser. If the B/O had not let me ride, I would have gotten fired! Then there goes the money I pay to the MTA every 30 days goes bye bye.

Yeah, but you know what I'm referring to. I've had fellow express bus riders that were either short on the MetroCard or whatever and I've dipped my Unlimited later on for them once the 18 minutes went by. That's completely different from what I'm referring to. I'm referring to those who blatantly farebeat and walk on the bus with absolutely no intention of paying.

But should the coverage frequency be half-hourly, or should those routes get hourly service? An odd headway like 45 minutes would work well, but that's not clock face, and for an infrequent route in a non-rural area to work, it must be clock-face.

Same for Nassau. It's designed for the automobile, but we have to have transit service. Buses going MIA are common, as there are only 2 service trucks (1 off peak) who have to deal with a constant stream of problems, and when the bus goes back to the shop there is none to cover the route. I remember hearing several weeks ago of an N62 broken down in S Freeport that had to wait hours for a truck because both were being used on the other (north) side of the county. Luckily that's a low ridership route.

Archived